Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2014, 01:04 PM

36 posts, read 46,296 times

Advertisements

I'll be relocating to Bayonne from the Chicago suburbs soon. I'd like to hear more about the city from those who live there. I will have a junior in high school, working and living in Bayonne proper, have a dog (any dog parks?) and making $85,000 plus...probably closer to $95,000. I already have a place so that is not a concern. Please tell me about the school, the people, restaurants, traffic in the town itself...and whatever else you think a newcomer should know. Places you would recommend..would be awesome (groomer, vet, nails, hair salon, mechanic etc. Thanks everyone!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2014, 06:53 PM

1,450 posts, read 3,455,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minx9114 View Post
I'll be relocating to Bayonne from the Chicago suburbs soon. I'd like to hear more about the city from those who live there. I will have a junior in high school, working and living in Bayonne proper, have a dog (any dog parks?) and making $85,000 plus...probably closer to $95,000. I already have a place so that is not a concern. Please tell me about the school, the people, restaurants, traffic in the town itself...and whatever else you think a newcomer should know. Places you would recommend..would be awesome (groomer, vet, nails, hair salon, mechanic etc. Thanks everyone!!!!
One of the first things on your agenda, and I mean even before you unpack you possessions, is to find and register your child in a private school. The public schools in Bayonne are abysmal. Severely under performing, gang and violence filled. Don't take just my word on it, greatschools.org rates violence in Bayonne's school as a 5, on a scale of little/no violence is a 1, and 5 bring the worst. We are talking so bad that there is a history of shootings and death in the schools. (although the latest death was a few years ago) As far as academics, the schools are severely under-functioning, check out the NJ DOE school performance reports here, New Jersey Department of Education | 2012-2013 Performance Reports as well as here Interactive Map: High School SAT scores - NJ Spotlight In a state where the average SAT score is 1550 (and remember that includes some really bad schools, like Newark, Camden, Patterson, Jersey City, etc) Bayonne HS's average SAT score was 1361. For reference, a good school district in NJ, of which there are many will see ave SAT scores of over 1700. In the latest NJ Monthly school rankings report, Bayonne was ranked 317th out of 328 schools statewide (almost last in the state) I am not kidding with regards to the urgency in seeking out a private school, as the public schools are so bad, spots in local private school are coveted and much in demand. Many schools turn down more applicants then they accept, due to space limitations.

On the good news front, Bayonne does have a good dog park, “Sirius” Dog Park | The City of Bayonne, NJ and some wonderful restaurants, I love the Broadway Diner it's a solid version of a classic NJ Diner. There are quite a few excellent ethnic restaurants in the area too, my favorite being El Aguila Dorada El Aguila Dorada Restaurant - Bayonne, NJ | Yelp There are a number of good italian deli's and pizza joints scattered all over town. There is also a huge wealth of restaurants in nearby Jersey City.

Traffic is pretty congested in all of Bayonne during rush hour, and things have gotten worse since the closure of the Pulaski Skyway. That being said, since you are working and living in town, you should be alright.

As far as grocery shopping, I find c-town to be kinda a pit, and Stop and Shop is way overpriced. ShopRite IMHO is the place to go, and the prices are good. Fairly new too. If you want quality meat, head up to Hoboken and hit up Kings or one of the independent butchers. I recommend Truglio's Meat Market in Hoboken. Great old school Italian butcher. Been in business forever. Excellent customer service, well stocked with most everything you need, and their ground beef is the best! While you are there pick up their home made dried pasta too! There are several good Asian food markets for fresh fish on Tonnele Ave in JC.

HTH
KoalaNJ

Old 06-15-2014, 09:25 PM

3,021 posts, read 5,855,263 times
KoalaNJ, what private school options will the OP have for a high school student in Bayonne?

Last edited by daliowa; 06-15-2014 at 09:25 PM.. Reason: edit

Old 06-16-2014, 05:01 AM

19,137 posts, read 25,345,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daliowa View Post
KoalaNJ, what private school options will the OP have for a high school student in Bayonne?
Marist HS...if the OP is seeking a Roman Catholic school.

Old 06-16-2014, 05:37 AM

12,283 posts, read 35,700,318 times
Marist is the only one in Bayonne. In JC you have St Doms (girls), and the school far and away the best private - St Peters Prep (boys). OP can try for MacNair, public school in JC and rated one of the best in state, but it's admission only. I'd take those 3 over Marist.

Old 06-16-2014, 05:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
Marist is the only one in Bayonne. In JC you have St Doms (girls), and the school far and away the best private - St Peters Prep (boys). OP can try for MacNair, public school in JC and rated one of the best in state, but it's admission only. I'd take those 3 over Marist.
Wouldn't the OP have to be a resident of JC in order to have his/her child attend McNair?

Old 06-16-2014, 09:04 AM

160 posts, read 301,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoalaNJ View Post
One of the first things on your agenda, and I mean even before you unpack you possessions, is to find and register your child in a private school. The public schools in Bayonne are abysmal. Severely under performing, gang and violence filled. Don't take just my word on it, greatschools.org rates violence in Bayonne's school as a 5, on a scale of little/no violence is a 1, and 5 bring the worst. We are talking so bad that there is a history of shootings and death in the schools. (although the latest death was a few years ago) As far as academics, the schools are severely under-functioning, check out the NJ DOE school performance reports here, New Jersey Department of Education | 2012-2013 Performance Reports as well as here Interactive Map: High School SAT scores - NJ Spotlight In a state where the average SAT score is 1550 (and remember that includes some really bad schools, like Newark, Camden, Patterson, Jersey City, etc) Bayonne HS's average SAT score was 1361. For reference, a good school district in NJ, of which there are many will see ave SAT scores of over 1700. In the latest NJ Monthly school rankings report, Bayonne was ranked 317th out of 328 schools statewide (almost last in the state) I am not kidding with regards to the urgency in seeking out a private school, as the public schools are so bad, spots in local private school are coveted and much in demand. Many schools turn down more applicants then they accept, due to space limitations.

On the good news front, Bayonne does have a good dog park, “Sirius” Dog Park | The City of Bayonne, NJ and some wonderful restaurants, I love the Broadway Diner it's a solid version of a classic NJ Diner. There are quite a few excellent ethnic restaurants in the area too, my favorite being El Aguila Dorada El Aguila Dorada Restaurant - Bayonne, NJ | Yelp There are a number of good italian deli's and pizza joints scattered all over town. There is also a huge wealth of restaurants in nearby Jersey City.

Traffic is pretty congested in all of Bayonne during rush hour, and things have gotten worse since the closure of the Pulaski Skyway. That being said, since you are working and living in town, you should be alright.

As far as grocery shopping, I find c-town to be kinda a pit, and Stop and Shop is way overpriced. ShopRite IMHO is the place to go, and the prices are good. Fairly new too. If you want quality meat, head up to Hoboken and hit up Kings or one of the independent butchers. I recommend Truglio's Meat Market in Hoboken. Great old school Italian butcher. Been in business forever. Excellent customer service, well stocked with most everything you need, and their ground beef is the best! While you are there pick up their home made dried pasta too! There are several good Asian food markets for fresh fish on Tonnele Ave in JC.

HTH
KoalaNJ

I can't really speak to the schools in Bayonne just yet but as far as food goes you don't need to leave Bayonne to find a top quality meat market. 22nd street meat market is pretty epic. Also a litany of top class Polish and Italian delis and bakerys. Food is one of Bayonne's strongest selling points I highly recommend Andrew's Café by the way. Top class food at good prices.

ShopRite is my go-to supermarket as well. Also we probably have the best parks in Hudson County, the county park is pretty great.

The murder of a high school kid you refer to happened in the 90s and security has been highly ramped ever since. I wouldn't worry too much, Bayonne is a very safe town/city, especially in comparison to what surrounds it. I feel safe all hours of the night here.

If you need any more info just PM me.

Old 06-16-2014, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcampo13 View Post
The murder of a high school kid you refer to happened in the 90s and security has been highly ramped ever since. I wouldn't worry too much, Bayonne is a very safe town/city, especially in comparison to what surrounds it. I feel safe all hours of the night here.

If you need any more info just PM me.
Yes there was a murder inside the school in 1997, and yes they supposedly ramped up security as a result and so everything is fine now...so we really should not be worried by the stabbing last year, Video captures student's stabbing in Bayonne, New Jersey, victim's mother speaks out | null or any of the multitude of violent incidents each year to this day?

And I totally agree with JCampo13 that there are some terrific restaurants in Bayonne, a couple of which I mentioned. Good to hear there is also a good butcher, I was unaware of them, so I recommended the wonderful butcher I was aware of in nearby Hoboken.

As far as private schools in Bayonne not only is there Marist, there is also Holy Family HS (also a Catholic school) and Yeshiva Gedolah of Bayonne which is of Jewish affiliation. One could also look at all the other private schools in nearby communities of JC, Weehawkin, Hoboken, etc.

KoalaNJ

Old 06-16-2014, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoalaNJ View Post
As far as private schools in Bayonne not only is there Marist, there is also Holy Family HS (also a Catholic school) and Yeshiva Gedolah of Bayonne which is of Jewish affiliation.
Holy Family Academy closed a few years ago, as I recall.

Old 06-16-2014, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
Holy Family Academy closed a few years ago, as I recall.

Retriever, you are correct, Holy Family apparently closed last June. I was unaware of that, and they are still listed in greatschools, as well as other lists of private schools in Bayonne. Thank you for the update! (It's true, once it is on the web, it never dies....)

KoalaNJ
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey