Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-01-2014, 03:30 PM

324 posts, read 575,441 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are looking to sell our house in North Plainfield and buy a house near Morristown. We would like to use the same realtor in both transactions. Should we look for a realtor near our current location or our future location?

Also, what is the best way to find a realtor other than personal recommendations? We've read reviews online, but they're not very helpful as they're almost all overwhelmingly positive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2014, 03:52 PM

2,257 posts, read 5,188,948 times
Better to find a realtor who specializes in the respective neighborhoods.

Old 01-01-2014, 04:41 PM

9,317 posts, read 21,007,728 times
Future... for new house
Current (local to) your Current House.

Old 01-01-2014, 05:27 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,749,614 times
I agree, I wouldn't use the same realtor. It's best to find someone for each.

Old 01-01-2014, 07:41 PM

4,073 posts, read 8,981,886 times
Agree with the others. It's nice and convenient if you can use the same for both, but that seems like too much of a geographic stretch to expect one realtor to really serve your best interests in both markets.

Old 01-01-2014, 08:14 PM

200 posts, read 555,148 times
Using one realtor can be done, but you will need to find someone who is not afraid of going the extra mile and putting in extra research on areas.
If your preference is to work with one person, which I can understand, then ask friends and neighbors who have sold/bought recently who they used and if they would recommend their realtor. Also, check out open houses and chat with the agent who is hosting the open house. See what their knowledge of both towns is, if they seem nice and you 'click' with them. Interview several realtors, ask questions and then pick someone.
I am working with someone who is selling her home in a town I am very familiar with and therefore can talk knowledgeably about the location to any potential buyers. However, she is looking in several towns I am unfamiliar with. I am doing the best I can to research and ask questions and go with her to drive around to 'discover' the area together, but this can be time consuming.
Personally, I would prefer someone with knowledge of my future home as there are more 'unknowns' to me there that a realtor will be able to help me with - the pros and cons of neighborhoods, which roads are busy roads, proximity to schools/shops etc.
HTH.

Old 01-01-2014, 09:16 PM

11,337 posts, read 11,043,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyStrong1 View Post
My wife and I are looking to sell our house in North Plainfield and buy a house near Morristown. We would like to use the same realtor in both transactions. Should we look for a realtor near our current location or our future location?

Also, what is the best way to find a realtor other than personal recommendations? We've read reviews online, but they're not very helpful as they're almost all overwhelmingly positive.
You are paying for expertise. A strong listing agent in North Plainfield who knows what they are doing and has a strong track record of sales activity in that area is your best choice for getting your home sold quickly and efficiently.

That agent will probably know little or nothing about Morristown. I would pick a local agent in Morristown for the purchase. Someone who knows the area well and can give you the expertise you are paying for.

At times, your listing agent will attempt to get both deals and give you a discount on the sell to get the buy. This is fine if you are staying in the same area and the agent can be expected to have knowledge and expertise in both areas. But if the markets are different, you should choose separate pros. You might save a percent on your sales commission, but is that agent going to have any idea about pricing and the market in the new neighborhood? Probably not.

Also, do not use a referral agent from your listing agent. Typically they get a 25%-35% referral fee, which means your buying agent is someone who was desperate enough to work for a huge pay cut. Usually not what you are looking for. So find each of your agents on your own.

As far as how to locate an agent? It's pretty simple. Interviews. Ask direct questions like this:

For your listing agent:

How long have you been in the business?
How are you specifically different and better than other agents?
I know you are nice and trustworthy. But what do you bring to the table that the other agents don't?
Are you willing to guarantee my satisfaction by unconditionally letting me out of the listing in 2 weeks if I am not in love with your service?

These are tough questions. Observe how comfortable or uncomfortable your job applicant appears when answering them.

For your buyers agent:
Why are you better than other buyers agents that I am interviewing? Specifically? What are you going to do for me that the other buyer's agents cannot do. Specifically?
How and what do you know about the market that other agents do not? How does that benefit me?

More tough questions. The successful candidate for your business will be able to answer them comfortably and conclusively.

You are paying big money for this service. On both ends. You should expect a lot, and either receive a lot in a short period of time or have a written agreement that allows you to get rid of the agent effortlessly if the need arises. Many agents are slick at presenting. But performing? Not so much. That is why you need the written exit clause. A good agent will not have a problem with that because they routinely give excellent service and are almost never dumped. So the guarantee of easy separation is one they rarely if ever expect to deliver upon.

But going back to your question you want separate agents in separate markets.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey