Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-03-2014, 08:37 AM

24 posts, read 47,235 times

Advertisements

We are contemplating a move to Hoboken or Jersey City from Manhattan to make it easier to commute by car to Nutley.

I've heard something about a big construction project in Hoboken that will begin soon and last three years, that would severely affect the commute out of Hoboken going west. I haven't been able to find anything about this on Google.

Anyone have any clues as to what roads this construction will involve? I'm wondering if it will be bad enough to take Hoboken off the list for us.

Looking for a place close to a PATH train yet still commutable to Nutley within 30 minutes during rush hours.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2014, 09:18 AM

12,546 posts, read 21,403,981 times
I'm assuming you're speaking of the Pulaski Skyway project? It will severely impact leaving Hoboken from the south end, and probably push a lot of traffic to the north end, which is typically fairly heavy in the mornings already.

Old 02-03-2014, 09:21 AM

1,163 posts, read 1,808,345 times
they even have a website about it
Pulaski Skyway, Overview, Construction Updates, Commuter Information

Old 02-03-2014, 10:01 AM

4,940 posts, read 12,146,620 times
I lived in downtown Jersey City (near the Hoboken border) for many years and I can tell you the traffic in and out of that entire area is already bad enough to deal with on a daily basis. It's one of the reasons I moved out of there. If you need to commute to Nutley you're better off moving somewhere closer to Nutley and not having to deal with all the congestion in and around Hoboken/JC.

Old 02-03-2014, 10:28 AM

595 posts, read 677,215 times
A drive from Nutley to Hoboken can easily take 45min to an hour during rush hour on a good day. Depending on where in Hoboken you're going, it can be even longer. And you must have offstreet parking, otherwise it can take another hour or more to find a place to park.

Old 02-14-2014, 04:05 AM

24 posts, read 47,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustMeEC View Post
A drive from Nutley to Hoboken can easily take 45min to an hour during rush hour on a good day. Depending on where in Hoboken you're going, it can be even longer. And you must have offstreet parking, otherwise it can take another hour or more to find a place to park.
45 minutes to an hour? Does this apply to the reverse commute to Nutley, leaving Hoboken around 7am and returning around 5pm? Would be from the uptown waterfront area.

I hear people always say Hoboken traffic is a nightmare. Does this apply more to the middle of the city and sidestreets rather than the edges, or are there huge backups on roads like Paterson Plank or getting onto route 3 itself?

Old 02-14-2014, 06:12 AM

1,174 posts, read 1,748,487 times
you will be taking rt 3 and leaving from the north end of town most likely. But there will still be traffic even in a reverse commute. id say 45min to an hour sound right. Also factor in the 5-10 to walk to your car if you don't have a spot.

Have you thought about any places not near a path but closer to nutley but near a midtown direct train? Like Montclair?

Old 02-14-2014, 07:59 AM

12,546 posts, read 21,403,981 times
at 7am, it's not as bad. you might be ok. if i were you, i'd go into hoboken and do a few dry runs at the times you'd be commuting.

Old 02-15-2014, 08:36 AM

1,271 posts, read 3,232,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kashkab View Post
45 minutes to an hour? Does this apply to the reverse commute to Nutley, leaving Hoboken around 7am and returning around 5pm? Would be from the uptown waterfront area.

I hear people always say Hoboken traffic is a nightmare. Does this apply more to the middle of the city and sidestreets rather than the edges, or are there huge backups on roads like Paterson Plank or getting onto route 3 itself?
7am should be fine. 5pm will be awful, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey