Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2013, 11:35 AM

119 posts, read 492,562 times

Advertisements

I went over the Verrazano bridge last Sunday, using my EZ-Pass, and was charged $52.52, instead of the $10.66 that I would have been charged. I drive a regular car. When I called them, they said I must have been towing a trailor or something, which I wasn't. I told them they could follow the entire trip from Toms River to Long Island and back with the tolls I went thru, and see that none of the other charges were for anything other than a car, but the issue has not been resolved as of yet.

My point is that they make mistakes, and they can be big ones, so check your account.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2013, 12:51 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,990,431 times
"Mistakes"…

Old 09-27-2013, 12:53 PM

46 posts, read 207,716 times
Yes that is very true. I have to carefully check my statements because I never cross the GW Bridge without 3 people in my car which should be $4.25 as the car pool rate. It's happened more than a handful of times that I get charged the full rate.

Old 09-27-2013, 01:06 PM

1,171 posts, read 2,682,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teaneckgirl View Post
Yes that is very true. I have to carefully check my statements because I never cross the GW Bridge without 3 people in my car which should be $4.25 as the car pool rate. It's happened more than a handful of times that I get charged the full rate.
I hardly ever check my e-z pass statements. I will now. Thank for the heads up!

Old 09-27-2013, 02:01 PM

5,773 posts, read 16,591,010 times
A while back one of my kids was driving in PA and seems the EZPass was read coming off the PA Pike but not driving on through the entrance gate so they charged me the whole turnpike length shibang rather than the one or two exits he used. EZ Pass told me I had to dispute it with the PA Pike toll people. I never followed up due to lack of time but there are def possibilities for mistakes. I could tell by other toll timestamps he didn't drive the length he got charged for.

Old 11-28-2014, 09:22 AM

110 posts, read 181,199 times
Sorry for reviving an old thread. But I am in the same situation. Were you able to get the charges revoked or did you end up paying them in the end?

I drive an suv. Normally, all the entries in my statement have either a blank or 1 in the "vehicle type code" field. Recently, I noticed "vehicle type code=2L" entries in the statement. On those dates I did not even travel. So those charges are definitely not from me. I contacted the customer service and they opened a dispute. But after a while they just said they can't do anything because the system read it from the tag and there was no picture of the license plate for those transactions.

Now I am thinking of wrapping up the ezpass tag in an Aluminum foil and use the cash lanes going forward. I would have cancelled my account if not for the ezpass HOV (high occupancy vehicle) discount at the GWB (George Washington Bridge) toll lanes.

Old 11-28-2014, 09:42 AM

3,244 posts, read 5,241,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by captne76 View Post
EZPass ... PA Pike ... charged me the whole turnpike length shibang rather than the one or two exits ...
IMO, the problem exists more on the entry/exit turnpikes, that the barrier bridges/tunnels & GSP. When the scanner misses you on the latter, if you've registered your plate, EZP just enters it instead of the device number & charges you accordingly. When the scanner misses your entrance, they charge you from the furthest end! One time, when I drove from Albany to NYC, I was charged correctly for that fare, but simultaneously from Buffalo to the Harriman barrier toll, about $20! When I later got my statement, I had to call & complain, but they did deduct the phantom toll.

Old 11-28-2014, 02:51 PM

31,910 posts, read 26,979,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArcticBlast View Post
Sorry for reviving an old thread. But I am in the same situation. Were you able to get the charges revoked or did you end up paying them in the end?

I drive an suv. Normally, all the entries in my statement have either a blank or 1 in the "vehicle type code" field. Recently, I noticed "vehicle type code=2L" entries in the statement. On those dates I did not even travel. So those charges are definitely not from me. I contacted the customer service and they opened a dispute. But after a while they just said they can't do anything because the system read it from the tag and there was no picture of the license plate for those transactions.

Now I am thinking of wrapping up the ezpass tag in an Aluminum foil and use the cash lanes going forward. I would have cancelled my account if not for the ezpass HOV (high occupancy vehicle) discount at the GWB (George Washington Bridge) toll lanes.
It would take more than the odd incorrect billing for me to give up on EZ-Pass and go back to cash.

Driving this Thanksgiving on the NJT, GSP and various river crossings makes one so glad to have an Ez-Pass. Just zero in on the best EZ-Pass lane and keep on keeping on, especially for the Lincoln Tunnel where there usually is zero line for the EP only lane while the Cash/EP lanes can be backed up passed Kennedy Blvd exit. The VNB is another you are happy to have an EZ Pass.

Old 11-29-2014, 06:35 AM

88,588 posts, read 84,818,250 times
Another thing to watch out for is your automatic replenishment levels. From late May to about mid-September, I was working on a special project at a temporary location in Manhattan. Because the hours were often from 8 a.m. to 10 p.m., and weekends were required, I had to drive in to the city, meaning that I was spending tons on tolls, which I could get back via petty cash over and above my normal commute costs. Went back to my regular train commute to Jersey City after that. I had automatic replenishment on my EZ-Pass account, so every time my balance dipped below $25, they hit my checking account for $50, which was fine.

Along comes October, and I look at my checking account one day, and EZ-Pass has hit me for $200. I called them up and basically asked WTF they thought they were doing. They said, 'Oh, well, we reviewed your usage based on July, August, and September, and you were spending about X amount on tolls, so we adjusted your replenishment accordingly. I said, "And you didn't notice that since then I've spent no more than $60 or $70 a month in tolls?" Oh well, that would come up on the NEXT review...meanwhile, they are finding a nice way to keep cash flow going for EZ-Pass. I got a supervisor on the phone and had them credit $100 back to my account. I also switched my replenishment account to a credit card so they can't hit my checking like that again.

Oh yes, and the best part was that I said they should have the courtesy to NOTIFY a customer when they are going to make an adjustment like that, and the idiot on the other end said, "We do notify you. It will appear on the bottom of your next statement."

Old 11-29-2014, 01:30 PM

119 posts, read 492,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArcticBlast View Post
I'm the OP, and yes, the charges were eventually revoked. I had to phone a few times, but I was persistent because I wasn't going to pay over $50 for a $10 toll. I don't know if they had a photo or not, but since I was charged for towing a trailer, I was thinking that the person behind me must have been close enough that 2 vehicles looked like 1 long vehicle went thru the toll, and that's what I said to the person on the phone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey