Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-29-2014, 06:06 PM

15 posts, read 46,057 times

Advertisements

Hello,
I'm looking to purchase a nice condo in a safe neighborhood within walking distance of one of the Hackensack train stations. Recommendations sincerely appreciated.
Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2014, 10:47 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,875,846 times
Is a train needed? , if your commuting to Midtown then you have several bus routes to choose from aswell. Most of the Condos and newer apartments are along these routes. Proposect , Summit Aves near the Hospital are good place to start.

Last edited by DarkWolf; 03-29-2014 at 10:59 PM..

Old 03-30-2014, 06:15 AM

Thanks very much for your reply.
Here's my situation in more detail; I'm looking at accepting a position in Hackensack. I live outside of Princeton, on the NE Corridor line. So, I'm investigating buying a condo/house in Hackensack, near a train station, so I can live in Hackensack during the week and then, on weekends, my wife & I can use mass transit to see each other (i.e. I can hop the train to go to Princeton, she can come up to me in Hackensack, we can both go into Manhattan whenever we want, etc.).
Is this just a pipe dream or is this really possible? If possible, where is a good, safe place to live in Hackensack, near a train station?
Thanks very much!

Old 03-30-2014, 09:16 AM

26 posts, read 57,039 times
If you take train to Princeton, it will be expensive and slow, don't forget the waiting time when you transfer.

Old 03-30-2014, 10:45 AM

There are some newer developments going up in Downtown Hackensack , but I believe those are just apartments. Most of the Condos are a 15min walk from one of the 2 train stations on the hill section of Hackensack. Princeton is about 100 mins from Hackensack by train. Its a quiet , safe city starting to see Downtown redevelopment much like New Brunswick did decades ago.

Old 03-30-2014, 02:12 PM

Grand St - re: using the train to/from Hackensack & Princeton:
-why would it be slow? Is there something different about the Pascack Valley line than the NE corridor line I am not aware of? I've never taken the Pascack Valley Line before. When I do use the NE corridor line to go to/from NYC & Princeton it works well for me; it's better than driving!
Am I missing something? I have to admit I've never been a train commuter so I really don't know what I'm getting myself into. But, remember, I would be staying in Hackensack during the workweek & either I will go down to Princeton or my wife will come up to Hackensack on weekends. Thoughts/comments by all are appreciated.
Nexis4Jersey The apts. going up in downtown - do you know the name of the development? When they will be available for rental?
Thanks to all for your helpful advice.

Old 04-01-2014, 12:53 AM

I don't know the names , at the rate that there going up probably the Fall. Hackensack isn't the only city you should look into. You look into towns and cities that have bus or Rail routes into Hackensack which opens up Ridgewood , Maywood , Weehawken , Wood-Ridge , Radburn section Fair Lawn & River Edge. These towns all have bus service to New York and Hackensack , so if you wanted to live in say Weehawken you would mostly take the bus to Hackensack due to highway traffic and costs. Your wife could access Weehawken either by bus from NYC or use the Hudson Bergen Light Rail to access the town. Ridgewood , Radburn , River Edge , Wood-Ridge all have train stations that can give you access to Princeton and NYC. Ridgewood is a good 30min drive from Hackensack but its a very nice town similar to Princeton just without a college flare to it. Maywood ,River Edge and Wood-Ridge are 10mins away from most of the majority Job Hub areas of Hackensack , Radburn is about 25mins away.

Old 04-01-2014, 07:16 AM

Nexis4Jersey, thank you very much for your detailed response - lots of food for thought here!
Thanks to you and people like you, City Data is a wonderful resource to get informed about places you are contemplating living.
Thanks again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey