Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-09-2007, 02:53 PM

54 posts, read 244,405 times

Advertisements

I have been reading postings (on this site and others) for awhile now regarding the north part of Somerset county, and I am now very interested in Bridgewater. Warren, Watching, Bedmister, Basking Ridge, and Bernardsville all seem very nice but some of the postings sound like they may be too snotty for my liking. I was curious what others opinions were of Bridgewater and if it is a good place to raise a family? I currently live in NJ and I have the enjoyment of paying NJ taxes and a mortage, so opinions on prices and taxes are not something I am very interested. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2007, 05:48 PM

2,689 posts, read 3,967,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJNJNJ View Post
I have been reading postings (on this site and others) for awhile now regarding the north part of Somerset county, and I am now very interested in Bridgewater. Warren, Watching, Bedmister, Basking Ridge, and Bernardsville all seem very nice but some of the postings sound like they may be too snotty for my liking. I was curious what others opinions were of Bridgewater and if it is a good place to raise a family? I currently live in NJ and I have the enjoyment of paying NJ taxes and a mortage, so opinions on prices and taxes are not something I am very interested. Thanks!
bridgewater is a very large and diverse town, you will find snobs, you will find immigrants and everything in between. It's all about how you view yourself, if snobs get to you, is it because you're insecure about yourself?

Old 12-10-2007, 06:00 AM

116 posts, read 528,088 times
I have been living in Bridgewater for 5 1/2 years and do not find it to be snobby at all. As a matter of fact, what I do love about this town is I find people very friendly. I have brought up my daughter here, love the people, schools, and proximity to everything.

Old 12-10-2007, 07:18 AM

604 posts, read 2,914,735 times
For a lot of people Bridgewater is a step up location. They may already live close by, Middlesex, Piscataway, Somerville, Green Brook and they like the area but now they want to buy their second or maybe third step up house and Bridgewater is very popular with local residents. I moved to Bridgewater from Green Brook 20 years ago and am not sorry for the move. Bridgewater is more established than Warren and while we don't have as many Mcmansions we do have some very upscale homes especially those located on the ridge of the first mountain.We have a nice mixture of people in my neighborhood, retirees, doctors,lawyers,businessmen, small contractors. Not too snooty and not to nosy either.
You won't regret a home purchase in Bridgewater. Close to everything and without the noise.

E

Old 12-10-2007, 10:24 AM

54 posts, read 244,405 times
Thanks for info pvbguy I am not insecure....I just wanted to make sure Bridgewater was not overflowing with snobs and to have a nice mixture which in your description it sounds like it does. I have friends that live in Warren, Watchung, Basking Ridge, etc and they say the love their towns but sometimes the snob factor comes into play a little too much..that's all

I am glad to hear that Bridgewater sounds very nice. I am starting my house hunting in January and I am very excited....

Old 12-10-2007, 06:02 PM

157 posts, read 780,661 times
I would consider adding Readington township to your house hunt. It is close to BRWTR, but IMHO much nicer. It does not have the overdevelopment of BRWTR, but is still somewhat convenient....

Old 12-10-2007, 07:51 PM

6,175 posts, read 12,940,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJNJNJ View Post
The northern part of Somerset county is a great place to live. The towns you mention are all very nice. I live in the Martinsville section of Bridgewater, and my office is in Bernardsville. Any of those towns would be a great place to raise a family. I have an 8 year old daughter and a 5 year old son, so I'm talking from experience here. These towns are no more snotty than most other towns. Sure, you'll find some people who like to think they're better than everyone else, but don't you find that everywhere? People are people where ever you go. And the many positive aspects of any of these towns more than makes up for those few people who are "snotty".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey