Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2014, 02:55 PM

400 posts, read 793,764 times

Advertisements

By the way, I'm pretty sure OP has done her homework about what is necessary for starting a home daycare. She's not asking for costs she has to pay, but for the price people would be willing to pay.

Old 04-05-2014, 03:17 PM

973 posts, read 1,453,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samanthayakobchuk View Post
By the way, I'm pretty sure OP has done her homework about what is necessary for starting a home daycare. She's not asking for costs she has to pay, but for the price people would be willing to pay.
Thank you and thank you for the info.

Old 04-05-2014, 06:07 PM

324 posts, read 575,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samanthayakobchuk View Post
I have a baby boy... I'm not sure what the going cost of daycare is (I work from home), so my number may or may not be useful...

I would say $200-$300/week though. Again, I'm not sure what the rates are these days, or any days for that matter. but I don't think it's unreasonable.
I'll be the only other person to try to answer your question, but I also do not have any personal experience. It depends on a few factors, such as the age of the child and time with you per week, but I would've guessed $200-$300 per week on average as well. More than $300 would be tough though because I think for that amount, a person would rather put their child into an official daycare.

Old 04-05-2014, 06:15 PM

3,021 posts, read 5,853,670 times
Interactive Map: Cost of Childcare Burdens Many Families in NJ (2012 prices)
Interactive Map: Cost of Childcare Burdens Many Families in NJ - NJ Spotlight

Steps to being licensed in NJ for a in-home daycare.
How to Get a License for a Home Daycare Business in New Jersey | eHow
Medical exam & TB test
Two character references (non-family members)
Attend eight hours of training.
Submit your application (including permission to do background check on yourself & anyone over 14 in your home.)
The State will do a home inspection.

Contact for licensing info & Manuals of Requirements.
New Jersey Regulations-National Resource Center

Old 04-05-2014, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daliowa View Post
Interactive Map: Cost of Childcare Burdens Many Families in NJ (2012 prices)
Interactive Map: Cost of Childcare Burdens Many Families in NJ - NJ Spotlight

Steps to being licensed in NJ for a in-home daycare.
How to Get a License for a Home Daycare Business in New Jersey | eHow
Medical exam & TB test
Two character references (non-family members)
Attend eight hours of training.
Submit your application (including permission to do background check on yourself & anyone over 14 in your home.)
The State will do a home inspection.

Contact for licensing info & Manuals of Requirements.
New Jersey Regulations-National Resource Center
If you have five or less, you don't need to do that or have a licnese.

Department of Human Services | Starting a Child Care Business

Just like a background check.

Old 04-05-2014, 07:13 PM

901 posts, read 2,249,180 times
The only people that will use a daycare run out of some random persons house are relatives/close friends of this persons or desperate people looking for the absolute cheapest option. That said Goddard is about $1000/month. If you have a snowball's chance to get any clients I would suggest you offer your services for half that.

Or you could just get a real job like everybody else.

Last edited by OysterCatcher; 04-05-2014 at 07:14 PM.. Reason: Add something

Old 04-05-2014, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OysterCatcher View Post
The only people that will use a daycare run out of some random persons house are relatives/close friends of this persons or desperate people looking for the absolute cheapest option. That said Goddard is about $1000/month. If you have a snowball's chance to get any clients I would suggest you offer your services for half that.

How is having your own business not a real job?

Old 04-06-2014, 06:15 AM

93 posts, read 130,818 times
I'll agree with OysterCatcher on pricing. $900-1100/month is typical for a regular "professional" daycare center, with the lower price applicable to older children. I see church-based day care for a couple hundred less. I also agree that I wouldn't go with a private provider unless price was my primary concern so I wouldn't expect you to be able to command those same rates.

An alternative if you just want to just do this on the side is to offer your services when school or traditional daycare is closed for holidays or whatever. You can advertise on sittercity or care.com.

Old 04-06-2014, 06:51 AM

414 posts, read 931,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OysterCatcher View Post

Are you trying to double dip with Unemployment Insurance AND a Cash only private day care business out of your 1 bedroom apartment?

I agree with OysterCatcher that a majority of parents wouldn't even consider using a random stranger to watch their child. You MIGHT be able to do some recruiting in your apartment complex or friends/family members, but that's about the best you could hope for.

Not sure what you did before you got downsized or fired from your last job, but I'd suggest polishing up the old resume and get cracking on getting a REAL JOB!

You know WHY? Well I'll tell you. Extended Unemployment Benefits are about to dry up sooner rather than later and you'll need a solid Plan "A" to stay financially afloat (and be able to keep from getting booted out of that apartment). Just food for thought

Last edited by The Winter Soldier; 04-06-2014 at 07:22 AM..

Old 04-06-2014, 07:00 AM

901 posts, read 2,249,180 times
I didn't intend to sound mean or offend the OP. It's just not a good idea. I saw a friends wife try this plan, it was a total failure. She is a lazy incompetent with no disernable skills and little education. It was a poor attempt to be a stay at home Mom.

If you want to start a real business go get a license. If you want to stay at home, marry rich. Just being honest and realistic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey