Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2014, 07:57 AM

12,546 posts, read 21,402,201 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
Here is a good one, not only did PA raise tax on gas, again, to pay for roads, but now, PA is also going to raise the price of your drivers license to pay for roads....this is Bull! Really Bull, how our politicians keep raping the public and spending our money so liberally, it is a sin and even worse, is, I cannot believe we all walk around so oblivious to this and no one complains? We just keep paying and paying it? Like what they do is fine....? Same thing with utilities.....

I was thinking about this just this morning and wondering why the people of this country continually put up with this, is everyone doing so well, I mean, do they even realize how many people are out of work, don't you care? Gas prices keep going up and up again, this happens every spring, b/c vacations are starting and more people get out and drive, they raise the price until people start complaining and then back the price down, but to more then what it was before prices started going up....so the reap the benefits of weeks of high pricing and then have the nerve to publish what they made, and all the CEO's and board members reap huge, huge salaries at the cost of who??????

Why are we all putting up with this, fire their arses and live within the means of something that is acceptable and not outrages at the expense of the people....I'm sick to death of all of this and even sicker of everyone in this country accepting this and making excuses for them.
Do you live in Pennsylvania?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2014, 07:59 AM

18,466 posts, read 15,247,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradykp View Post
i agree mostly about usage taxes such as the gas tax. but when you say "someone who doesn't pay much income tax" are you talking dollar amount, or % of their income? because I think someone who pays 20% of their income would be far less willing to pay more than someone who pays 15% or 10% of their 'income'. i know it will never happen in the near term (i'm not that hopeful for longer term either), but I would love to see us scrap pretty much every deduction, cut the rates, and start over. add deductions back in in the modern era instead of keeping incentives and disincentives that have been in place for decades. I'd also love to see more solid controls around various revenues and departments. It's overstated by people, but funds to get 'borrowed' from one fund to pay for a shortfall in another. Christie "balanced" the budget with funds from the transportation fund. that should simply be illegal.
I was talking about percentage amounts. I agree about deductions. Flat tax would work the best. Everyone has an equal stake, including corporations.

Old 04-29-2014, 08:00 AM

Quote:
No, no, no, I'm going back years, I remember b/c I worked construction at the time, and we all went to the gas pumps with either odd or even numbers, b/c THEY SAID, WE WERE RUNNING OUT OF GAS...so if you had an odd number on your tags, then it was your day to gas up...and even numbers, same thing, well, at that period in time, they imposed a tax on gas in PA to fix roads...it was a couple of cents, but even so, a couple of cents adds up....so, did they repair roads, no, only for one season, then there was an election, politicans got voted in, others left, and walla, more money for them to mis-allocate....and all these years, where has THAT MONEY GONE?

NO ONE SEEMS TO REMEMBER, either people don't care, or they are misinformed, or they just don't remember??????

It is a sin how we allow governments to take advantage of us...always at our cost.....

and by the way, TOM CORBETT stinks.

no matter who is in office, they all stink....they're all crooks....so what does it take for people to stop and think about what is going on?
your post is fairly incoherant. going back years? Are you talking about the oil crisis when gas was rationed nationally? and the gas tax has funded PA's road maintenance for years. they repair roads every year. I don't know what you're talking about. Are you claiming that no construction happened in PA other than the year of whatever election you're referring to?

If it all stinks, why do you still live in this country? I don't get your point at all.

Old 04-29-2014, 08:02 AM

Quote:
I'm sorry, I can't accept that, planning for that, could be done early on in the year, doesn't cut it any longer.....

there are always bogus reasons for why? That really doesn't make any sense, any longer.....and how many people are investing in great gas milage cars, instead of the gas gusslers, you cannot go by that anymore, b/c people are paying attention to what cars get the best gas mileage....

and I'm not a dumb people....this has also been going on for many years, and buster, I've always always bought cars that get the best mileage per gallon and so do a whole lot of other people, b/c investing in that now pays off....

so don't even try that, please.
so something that's a fact, you can't accept? Ok. i see where this conversation is going then.

people are investing in great gas mileage cars?

Information for the World's Business Leaders - Forbes.com

623,000 F150s
403,000 Silverados
293,000 Rams

all sold in 2013.

Old 04-29-2014, 08:03 AM

Quote:
actually gas goes high in the spring because the refineries switch the formulas from the winter blend to the summer blend, so there's a temporary drop in the supply. it's not that difficult to plan for as a consumer. and then it drops, but consumption of gas increases in the summer due to all the travel. it's why I keep my 30ish MPG vehicles and plan on replacing one of them with a more fuel efficient vehicle. Caring so much about price fluctuations is left for the people dumb enough to drive vehicles still getting < 20mpg on the highway.
People with high mileage cars are going to complain or not. People with low mileage cars are going to complain or not. They are not mutually exclusive.
I just replaced an old car that gets <20MPG with a new one that gets <20MPG. I don't care about the fluctuations. I need what I need and I know what I am getting into when I buy a car like this.

Old 04-29-2014, 08:03 AM

19,126 posts, read 25,327,931 times
Quote:
your post is fairly incoherant. going back years? Are you talking about the oil crisis when gas was rationed nationally? and the gas tax has funded PA's road maintenance for years. they repair roads every year. I don't know what you're talking about. Are you claiming that no construction happened in PA other than the year of whatever election you're referring to?

If it all stinks, why do you still live in this country? I don't get your point at all.
Additionally, that person's post veers from PA to--apparently--the state of Washington.
Walla (actually, Walla Walla) is not located in PA.
All-in-all, not very coherent.

Old 04-29-2014, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
I was talking about percentage amounts. I agree about deductions. Flat tax would work the best. Everyone has an equal stake, including corporations.
i'm not for a flat tax, it really doesn't make much sense and you can look through history books to see why. but a progressive tax that had lower rates and less deductions would make far more sense than what we have today. I'm actually for no taxes on corporations, or, very low taxes. the current mess of corporate taxes we have is confusing and benefits the very large companies while small businesses are basically screwed. it also screws larger corporations that have a large presence within the U.S. which is simply bizarre.

Old 04-29-2014, 08:09 AM

Quote:
i'm not for a flat tax, it really doesn't make much sense and you can look through history books to see why. but a progressive tax that had lower rates and less deductions would make far more sense than what we have today. I'm actually for no taxes on corporations, or, very low taxes. the current mess of corporate taxes we have is confusing and benefits the very large companies while small businesses are basically screwed. it also screws larger corporations that have a large presence within the U.S. which is simply bizarre.
Either way, I would like to see a system where all tax increases effect everyone equally. That is the most important thing. Not targeted increases and decreases, pitting citizen against citizen, as our current system does.

Old 04-29-2014, 08:11 AM

Quote:
People with high mileage cars are going to complain or not. People with low mileage cars are going to complain or not. They are not mutually exclusive.
I just replaced an old car that gets <20MPG with a new one that gets <20MPG. I don't care about the fluctuations. I need what I need and I know what I am getting into when I buy a car like this.
well, yes. but by and large, i was speaking about the masses. individuals like yourself who need a large car (i read your car thread, I could argue you don't truly need it but i see the benefits of the car choices you were looking at) are the exceptions. and you know what you're getting into, so that's good. but there are tons of large-vehicle drivers out there who spend 90% of the use of said vehicle in a way that could have been done in a substantially more fuel efficient vehicle. You may not care about the fluctuations, but many many people complain about gas prices after hopping out of their gigantic vehicle.

3 kids, 75 lb dog: Subaru Legacy + Acura TSX. That's what I drive. All 3 kids in car seats.

Old 04-29-2014, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Either way, I would like to see a system where all tax increases effect everyone equally. That is the most important thing. Not targeted increases and decreases, pitting citizen against citizen, as our current system does.
i would replace "equally" with equitably. but i think we're probably not disagreeing very much. having 3-4 tiers of income tax is something that has been shown to be effective in economies around the world throughout history.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey