Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2014, 01:13 AM

3 posts, read 6,679 times

Advertisements

We are looking at moving to Jersey city somewhere in mid April.
While my husband will be commuting to manhattan considering his
Office is located there.
I would like to know of some good schools in jersey city area.
My elder one is 7yrs and younger one is 3yrs old
So I would like both of them to be in the same school
If possible....it would be I great help if we would know Abt the school
Beforehand...thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2014, 06:10 AM

1,174 posts, read 1,748,487 times
I will let others chime in that have more details regarding specific schools in JC, however most people dont move to Jersey city for the schools. Are you considering private school? If school is a huge priority have you considered any other towns?

Old 02-22-2014, 06:27 AM

1,319 posts, read 4,249,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mamtarao13 View Post
We are looking at moving to Jersey city somewhere in mid April.
While my husband will be commuting to manhattan considering his
Office is located there.
I would like to know of some good schools in jersey city area.
My elder one is 7yrs and younger one is 3yrs old
So I would like both of them to be in the same school
If possible....it would be I great help if we would know Abt the school
Beforehand...thank you
Jersey City do not have good public school. It probably won't have decent public school for about 10+ years because it is still gentrifying.

If you need good public school, you will need to look elsewhere.

Old 02-22-2014, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkydapimp View Post
I will let others chime in that have more details regarding specific schools in JC, however most people dont move to Jersey city for the schools. Are you considering private school? If school is a huge priority have you considered any other towns?
Thanx pinky..we are considering public schools and the other issue is the commute to manhattan since my husband will be working there. We found jersey city close to manhattan....
But we also want good schools for our children so if there aren't very good public schools in JC pls could you suggest as which areas we should look at with good schools and good commute to manhattan...

Thanx

Old 02-22-2014, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Thanx pinky..we are considering public schools and the other issue is the commute to manhattan since my husband will be working there. We found jersey city close to manhattan....
But we also want good schools for our children so if there aren't very good public schools in JC pls could you suggest as which areas we should look at with good schools and good commute to manhattan...

Thanx
A large portion of people in north nj commute to New York City and JC so there are plenty of options. It really comes down to your budget, how big an apt your looking for, and the length of commute you are willing to deal with. If an hour commute is ok then that opens up many possibilities. Keep in mind everyone wants a big place, short commute and nice schools so the closer to NYC you are or the better the schools are the more expensive it will be.

So, give us some more info about what you are looking for and we can make some recommendations of towns that would be a good fit.

Old 02-22-2014, 05:36 PM

3,021 posts, read 5,852,540 times
Look outside of Hudson County if you have school age children.

Old 02-22-2014, 10:02 PM

Quote:
A large portion of people in north nj commute to New York City and JC so there are plenty of options. It really comes down to your budget, how big an apt your looking for, and the length of commute you are willing to deal with. If an hour commute is ok then that opens up many possibilities. Keep in mind everyone wants a big place, short commute and nice schools so the closer to NYC you are or the better the schools are the more expensive it will be.

So, give us some more info about what you are looking for and we can make some recommendations of towns that would be a good fit.
Pinky our budget is Abt USD 3000..we are looking at atleast 2 bedroom and 2 bath
Apartment with a nice neighborhood...
I have been told even charter schools are good.so can we explore
That option as well.. An hour of commute would be fine .

Old 02-22-2014, 10:29 PM

1,450 posts, read 3,454,676 times
Quote:
Pinky our budget is Abt USD 3000..we are looking at atleast 2 bedroom and 2 bath

As previous poster have said the schools in Jersey City are abysmal. (not to mention violent, gang filled, and over crowded) Yes there are couple of new Charter schools, however getting into one is more than difficult, as placement is done via lottery. Since the JC schools are so bad, nearly every parent applies for charter school placement in the hopes of getting their kid out of the public schools. There are a few good catholic schools, though competition getting into those is difficult as well. They function more like magnet schools, and take the cream of the crop of applicants, and siblings of current students and offspring of alumnae.

In order to give you truly useful, informed recommendations, please take a look at this sticky thread at the top of the forum, //www.city-data.com/forum/new-j...residents.html and provide us with your answers to the questions regarding what you are looking for in a new community. I am confident that when we know more about your needs/wants/desires of a new community and home many of the knowledgeable folk on this forum will provide you with recommendations that will truly fit what you are looking for.

KoalaNJ

Old 02-22-2014, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Pinky our budget is Abt USD 3000..we are looking at at least 2 bedroom and 2 bath
I would probably start your search in these towns below. You may be able to find what your looking for in these towns. All will provide easy train or bus access to nyc and hoboken(xfer to JC).

livingston
summit
milburn
south orange
maplewood
morristown
montclair

Old 02-22-2014, 10:41 PM

1,450 posts, read 3,454,676 times
Quote:
I would probably start your search in these towns below. You may be able to find what your looking for in these towns. All will provide easy train or bus access to nyc and hoboken(xfer to JC).

livingston
summit
milburn
south orange
maplewood
morristown
montclair

I'd be leery of any town that does not have train access. When the Pulaski skyway closes shortly, commuting to JC via bus is likely to become much longer and much more of a headache. To your list I'd add Madison, the Chathams, Basking Ridge/Bernards Twp., Berkeley Hts, New Providence, and Convent Station to name but a few. I really comes down to what the op is looking for in a new community - walkable downtown? Rural? more urban/suburban? etc.

KoalaNJ
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey