Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2007, 02:32 PM

2,689 posts, read 3,966,413 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattAllen View Post
How are the schools in Ho-Ho-Kus? The homes in these towns that are closer in are a bit smaller than what we were going for. We would like to have a big yard. We would like to try the 'subdivision' thing. We have already done the 'ur-burban' thing. Toll Brothers has a place in Sparta also. How is Sparta? How is the area around Pine Beach?
Sparta is nice but quite rural and if you need to commute to NYC I wouldn't suggest a move there
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2007, 02:44 PM

8 posts, read 20,226 times
What about Andover? I hear that Green Hills Elementary School is pretty good.

Old 12-11-2007, 03:42 PM

9,124 posts, read 36,382,644 times
Quote:
What about Andover? I hear that Green Hills Elementary School is pretty good.
There's no public transportation from Andover to NYC, so you'd be looking at the better part of a 1.5 hour commute (or more) by car.

Old 12-11-2007, 03:45 PM

8 posts, read 20,226 times
We have no desire to use public transportation. Do many Andover residents commute to New York City?

Old 12-11-2007, 04:02 PM

21 posts, read 81,217 times
Quote:
We have no desire to use public transportation. Do many Andover residents commute to New York City?
Matt...Andover (and Sparta) are in Sussex county...definitely the most affordable area of northern NJ...and there are a decent number of people in Sparta, Andover and other towns in southern part of Sussex county that commute into the city...but its a grind. You don't want to drive into NYC on a daily basis unless you work off hours

If I were you, I would focus on Morris county...the next county east of Sussex (closer to NYC) and find a town on the train line...Denville, Madison, Chatham, Morris Plains are all nice safe towns with plenty of green space. Mountain Lakes is another nice town with a direct train into NYC...a bit pricier than most but one of the most highly rated school systems in the state.

If you can really spend $900K, you might be able to find a nice place even in Mountain Lakes

Old 12-11-2007, 04:08 PM

12,283 posts, read 35,690,922 times
Quote:

in your price range, there are better places than andover.

tell you what - why don't you tell us what your max tolerable commute is (in TIME), and we can take it from there. be aware that driving into NYC will involve tolls ($6/day) and nearly unbearable waits to get into the tunnel/on the bridge, unless you leave before the crack of dawn.

from my perspective, if a person works in NYC, i cannot in good conscience recommend a town more than 30 miles away, which, if you look at a map going west, will land you in about Parsippany or Denville.

to answer your question though - i'm sure some ppl in Andover commute to NYC, but I'm pretty sure it's a small number.

Old 12-11-2007, 04:38 PM

9,124 posts, read 36,382,644 times
Quote:
The other thing to consider with places like Andover that are up in the hills is that there will be many days where the weather will make your commute even worse than normal. One of my employees lived in Andover, and there were plenty of times where he'd get snow up there when we'd have none in Bedminster, or when he'd have ice on the roads when we had rain. He wouldn't even bother leaving the house if he was supposed to go to our NYC office that day, and the commute to Bedminster could easily go from his normal just over an hour to 2 hours plus. It's not an every day occurence, but you could count on it happening half a dozen times per winter, if not more.

Old 12-11-2007, 05:16 PM

2,689 posts, read 3,966,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
in your price range, there are better places than andover.

tell you what - why don't you tell us what your max tolerable commute is (in TIME), and we can take it from there. be aware that driving into NYC will involve tolls ($6/day) and nearly unbearable waits to get into the tunnel/on the bridge, unless you leave before the crack of dawn.
one way to avoid tunnel traffic and the tolls is to do what I did for many years, park in JC and take the tubes to the city, nowadays if you work midtown or downtown you can park near a light rail station and take that to either the ferries at port imperial or the tubes at hoboken.

Old 12-11-2007, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by apvbguy View Post
one way to avoid tunnel traffic and the tolls is to do what I did for many years, park in JC and take the tubes to the city, nowadays if you work midtown or downtown you can park near a light rail station and take that to either the ferries at port imperial or the tubes at hoboken.

but he said he didn't want to use public transport. shrug.

Old 12-11-2007, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKovacs View Post
The other thing to consider with places like Andover that are up in the hills is that there will be many days where the weather will make your commute even worse than normal. One of my employees lived in Andover, and there were plenty of times where he'd get snow up there when we'd have none in Bedminster, or when he'd have ice on the roads when we had rain. He wouldn't even bother leaving the house if he was supposed to go to our NYC office that day, and the commute to Bedminster could easily go from his normal just over an hour to 2 hours plus. It's not an every day occurence, but you could count on it happening half a dozen times per winter, if not more.
yes. i'm in the same boat, but luckily have flexibility where i don't need to go into the office on bad days. about 6 or so days sounds right.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey