Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2007, 08:13 PM

8 posts, read 20,226 times

Advertisements

I have been living in Chicago for a while now. Chicago is pretty 'cool' if the weather is nice. I feel the city of Chicago is nicer, prettier, and cleaner than New York. The nightlife here is virtually non existant. Speaking of the weather. The weather here blows. We have tornado warnings constantly, and no one seems to care! If the sirens go off people still stay in the park! In the winter we get so much snow, tons of ice rain, and it gets so cold that many times it cannot snow. I grew up just outside of Boston and the weather was never as bad as it is here. I went to Columbia but I did not really get to experience New York. When I visit New York I really love all the restaurants, nightlife, and some of the shops.

My company told me today that I was going to have to relocate to the New York area. My wife wants to go back to work part-time so my parents have decided that they would like to purchase a home near ours so they can take care of the kids while we are working. My wife and I would like to stay within 1 hour of Lower Manhattan. My new manager lives in Marlboro, NJ. He says that his kids went to Marlboro High School and had a great time. My wife researched it online and she said she found some mixed reviews but that overall it was a decent school district. We are willing to spend $600,000 to $900,000. We would like at least 4 Bedrooms, 3 1/2 Bathrooms, 3500+ Square Feet and hopefully a 3 car garage. My parents are looking for a 4 Bedroom also and really can spend anything.

We would like to be close to a grocery store, within walking distance of a good school, and maybe a park. From what I have read about New Jersey is that there is very little greenspace which shocked me considering it is called 'the Garden State.' Being close to the expressway to cut down on time would also be nice.

Thanks,
Matt
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2007, 09:39 PM

2,093 posts, read 5,460,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattAllen View Post
I have been living in Chicago for a while now. Chicago is pretty 'cool' if the weather is nice. I feel the city of Chicago is nicer, prettier, and cleaner than New York. The nightlife here is virtually non existant. Speaking of the weather. The weather here blows. We have tornado warnings constantly, and no one seems to care! If the sirens go off people still stay in the park! In the winter we get so much snow, tons of ice rain, and it gets so cold that many times it cannot snow. I grew up just outside of Boston and the weather was never as bad as it is here. I went to Columbia but I did not really get to experience New York. When I visit New York I really love all the restaurants, nightlife, and some of the shops.

My company told me today that I was going to have to relocate to the New York area. My wife wants to go back to work part-time so my parents have decided that they would like to purchase a home near ours so they can take care of the kids while we are working. My wife and I would like to stay within 1 hour of Lower Manhattan. My new manager lives in Marlboro, NJ. He says that his kids went to Marlboro High School and had a great time. My wife researched it online and she said she found some mixed reviews but that overall it was a decent school district. We are willing to spend $600,000 to $900,000. We would like at least 4 Bedrooms, 3 1/2 Bathrooms, 3500+ Square Feet and hopefully a 3 car garage. My parents are looking for a 4 Bedroom also and really can spend anything.

We would like to be close to a grocery store, within walking distance of a good school, and maybe a park. From what I have read about New Jersey is that there is very little greenspace which shocked me considering it is called 'the Garden State.' Being close to the expressway to cut down on time would also be nice.

Thanks,
Matt
Marlboro is nice but if you want to be closer check out Westfield

Old 12-10-2007, 10:10 PM

2,689 posts, read 3,966,413 times
Quote:

Thanks,
Matt
this is a hoot!
first off financially you're in the ballpark for the marlboro area but it will take over an hour to get to downtown NYC.
There is plenty of open space and "greenspace" around there but then you say you want to be near stores expressways, one doesn't lend itself to the other. You will be hard pressed to live in marlboro like you would in an urban area because marlboro is a sprawled suburb. The best you could do is to live near Rt 9 and that could put you close to stores and the highway buses to NYC. Just beware that walking across rt 9 can be a life threatening endeavour

Old 12-10-2007, 10:46 PM

1,729 posts, read 4,998,122 times
Quote:

Thanks,
Matt
How about Staten Island, New York? It is about 1/2 hour from Wall Street, was voted by Zagat as being second only to Manhattan, when it comes to good food. You can ride the Staten Island Rapid Transit that takes you to the Ferry for free, then get via the Ferry to Wall Street for free. However, by public transportation the time element will be more. The South Shore of the Island, has what you want, lots of beautiful detached houses, well-kept. I live in zip code 10312, which is one of the more affluents, and you can get a nice house for about $900,000, but the property taxes are very low. In New Jersey, get ready to pay less for the house, but you will pay the HIGHEST PROPERTY TAXES IN THE NATION. You can research it right here at city-data.com, and look for the zip code. You will learn everything about it. We have everything here at our fingertips, just like Manhattan!!!!!!!!Good-luck.

Old 12-10-2007, 10:57 PM

8 posts, read 20,226 times
I guess I can sacrafice being close to an expressway. I do not want to be more than 15 minutes from a grocery store though. How are the schools in and around Staten Island. We would like to bring our kids up in the public schools. How are the schools in Marlboro? Does anyone have any personal experiences? Does anyone have any pictures of Marlboro? Is Westfield similar to Marlboro?

Also, Would it be wise to purchase something in Pennsylvannia, specifically Milford? I was on the Toll Brothers website and they have a development in Milford, PA and the prices are pretty reasonable. I did a mapquest that said it was about 80 minutes from NYC. The school system looks pretty good and it looks like there is a lot of development going on.

Last edited by MattAllen; 12-10-2007 at 11:11 PM..

Old 12-11-2007, 02:49 AM

9,124 posts, read 36,382,644 times
Staten Island is a dump (literally- the highest point on the island is the Fresh Kills landfill)- you'll never find anything like you'll find in Marlboro or Westfield, and the schools aren't nearly as good.

Old 12-11-2007, 05:23 AM

12,283 posts, read 35,690,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKovacs View Post
Staten Island is a dump (literally- the highest point on the island is the Fresh Kills landfill)- you'll never find anything like you'll find in Marlboro or Westfield, and the schools aren't nearly as good.

i tend to agree. the best areas of SI are todt hill and tottenville and even then...meh. with the exception of the ferry, you have to pay $6 to get off the island via one of the 3 PA bridges, or $8/9 to go over the Verrazano. (do the buses even go into other boroughs?) You get to pay the NYC taxes and get none of the benefits. I wouldn't live there.

Old 12-11-2007, 05:26 AM

Quote:
I guess I can sacrafice being close to an expressway. I do not want to be more than 15 minutes from a grocery store though. How are the schools in and around Staten Island. We would like to bring our kids up in the public schools. How are the schools in Marlboro? Does anyone have any personal experiences? Does anyone have any pictures of Marlboro? Is Westfield similar to Marlboro?

Also, Would it be wise to purchase something in Pennsylvannia, specifically Milford? I was on the Toll Brothers website and they have a development in Milford, PA and the prices are pretty reasonable. I did a mapquest that said it was about 80 minutes from NYC. The school system looks pretty good and it looks like there is a lot of development going on.
the commute will kill you. seriously. do not consider it. yes, the pricing is attractive, but you'll never be home to enjoy it. it's 80 minutes in the middle of the night - over 2.5 hrs during rush, and i'm not exaggerating.

westfield, summit, chatham, madison, ridgewood are the best towns that meet your criteria, and with a budget of $900K, you'll get a nice place.

Old 12-11-2007, 05:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKovacs View Post

also....isn't it not only the highest point on the island, but the highest point on the eastern seaboard? i remember as a kid growing up you used to be able to see the staten island mall from the west shore expressway, and over the years, the "hill" became higher, and higher, and higher....oh, and smellier too (and I'm from Bayonne! ).

Old 12-11-2007, 06:02 AM

9,124 posts, read 36,382,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
i tend to agree. the best areas of SI are todt hill and tottenville and even then...meh. with the exception of the ferry, you have to pay $6 to get off the island via one of the 3 PA bridges, or $8/9 to go over the Verrazano. (do the buses even go into other boroughs?) You get to pay the NYC taxes and get none of the benefits. I wouldn't live there.
Most sane people are more than happy to pay so little to get off of Staten Island.....lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey