Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2014, 05:38 AM

5 posts, read 5,875 times

Advertisements

I will be attending Rutgers grad school and am looking for a nice and safe one bedroom apt. I have looked at The Colony House but they don't seem to have anything available right now. Can anyone please tell me about 10 landing Lane apartments? I have also thought about some of the new apt buildings downtown but don't really want to live downtown. Can you recommend any other apartments, similar to the Colony House, within a 25 minute car drive for me to look at? Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2014, 07:07 AM

19,138 posts, read 25,349,686 times
About a 5 minute drive further north on Easton Avenue is the new Avalon rental community.
You didn't bother to tell us your rental budget, but a studio apt in this luxury rental community can be had for $1475, which includes the use of the swimming pool and other recreational facilities. This area is exceptionally safe.

Old 06-07-2014, 07:09 AM

1,450 posts, read 3,456,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gold60silver View Post
I will be attending Rutgers grad school and am looking for a nice and safe one bedroom apt. I have looked at The Colony House but they don't seem to have anything available right now. Can anyone please tell me about 10 landing Lane apartments? I have also thought about some of the new apt buildings downtown but don't really want to live downtown. Can you recommend any other apartments, similar to the Colony House, within a 25 minute car drive for me to look at? Thank you.
There are several apt complexes comparable to CH located in Highland Park. Many RU grad students live in Highland Park as it is so convenient to RU, and downtown NB - most of HP is walkable to the train station in NB as well as George St. HP is quieter, safer, and nicer than NB to boot!

KoalaNJ

Old 06-07-2014, 08:29 AM

Thanks for your help. I can spend between $1300-$1500 but would really like a one bedroom not a studio. Does anyone have any feedback on 10 landing lane? Avalon does look nice the one bedrooms are a little over my budget but I will give them a call. I did look a little at the garden apartments in Highland Park but am looking for something a little nicer. Is there a place in Highland Park you would recommend? Thanks again.

Old 06-07-2014, 09:28 AM

4,940 posts, read 12,152,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoalaNJ View Post
There are several apt complexes comparable to CH located in Highland Park. Many RU grad students live in Highland Park as it is so convenient to RU, and downtown NB - most of HP is walkable to the train station in NB as well as George St. HP is quieter, safer, and nicer than NB to boot!

KoalaNJ
I second Highland Park. I lived there for 5 years right after I graduated from Rutgers and really liked living there. It's nice and quiet and very walkable. I lived in the Orchard Gardens apartment complex located on South 11th Ave. It's a huge complex but it's in the northern part of town near the Edison border, so you won't be able to walk to New Brunswick from there. The apartments were nice at the time, but I moved out in 2004 so I can't comment on how they are now.

The Parktowne House apartment building right over the Albany St. bridge is pretty decent. Some of the apartments have balconies with nice views of New Brunswick, and you can easily walk to the New Brunswick train station in about 10 minutes.
http://www.forrent.com/apartment-com...le/1029556.php

If you're going to live right in New Brunswick the only real "good" area is right downtown or right off campus. Otherwise most of the other neighborhoods are pretty sketchy.

Old 06-07-2014, 11:02 AM

Oh I thought the Colony house was considered to be in a pretty good location. Are you saying that the area where the Colony House and 10 landing lane are will be unsafe?

Old 06-07-2014, 11:39 AM

1,450 posts, read 3,456,370 times
Quote:
Oh I thought the Colony house was considered to be in a pretty good location. Are you saying that the area where the Colony House and 10 landing lane are will be unsafe?
I personally would not consider that area safe (the 5th and 6th wards in NB). Although that area has historically had a number of booze filled college student brawls each year, things have been spiraling downhill rapidly as of late. There have been quite a few violent incidents in the area, including a murder recently. The area is mostly occupied Rutgers students living off campus, and as such they tend to have a rather large target on their backs. Thefts and muggings, not to mention assaults during the muggings, are rather common. A search on NJ.com will bring you quite a few articles with more info regarding these incidents. crime rutgers new brunswick News, Images, Videos, Classifieds & More - NJ.com

Seriously, check out the many apts available in Highland Park....your safety and piece of mind are worth it.

KoalaNJ

Old 06-07-2014, 11:57 AM

19,138 posts, read 25,349,686 times
I usually agree with Koala, but in this case I am going to disagree.

The locale of those apartments is separated from the student housing sector of New Brunswick by Buccleuch Park, which is fairly large.

I drive past those apartments on a regular basis--both day and night--and in addition to an absence of "booze-filled college brawls",
I don't even see pedestrians of any nature in the area. The vehicular traffic (of which there is a lot) essentially consists of those who are driving through to Route 18 or The Landing Lane Bridge, and those who are residents of those buildings.

Buccleuch Park is a buffer that isolates those apartments from whatever else might be going on in that ward.

Old 06-07-2014, 04:22 PM

1,163 posts, read 1,809,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
About a 5 minute drive further north on Easton Avenue is the new Avalon rental community.
You didn't bother to tell us your rental budget, but a studio apt in this luxury rental community can be had for $1475, which includes the use of the swimming pool and other recreational facilities. This area is exceptionally safe.

I lived at Avalon Princeton Junction.

Be sure to double check all the fees. I remember having to pay for garbage+water+sewer which I had never had to pay in all of my years of renting. There may also be a clubhouse fee.

Old 06-07-2014, 09:14 PM

279 posts, read 461,631 times
Quote:

If safety is your biggest priority, move to Highland Park right across the river. That's where I lived when I was in grad school at Rutgers. It's walkable/bikable to the train station in New Brunswick, also the 810 and 814 buses go to the train station in New Brunswick (if you have a monthly pass for the train, the bus ride is free, just show the driver your pass).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey