Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-24-2014, 03:47 PM

12 posts, read 29,477 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

My girlfriend and I are getting our first apartment and have found a beautiful and well priced apartment on Pine Street in Montclair. The apartment is on the third floor and has off street parking. Our only concern is that we have heard it isn't a safe neighborhood which is surprising. Can anybody offer any input towards our dilemma? Is the area unsafe for two people in their 20s? Or do we just need to take simple precautions like locking our cars, and not walking alone?

Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2014, 04:18 PM

882 posts, read 1,670,862 times
I have friends who just moved to that area. It's not the best in the town but not as bad as its reputation on this site. There are more working-class blacks in the neighborhood which some people might be uncomfortable with but in walking the streets it was just as friendly and well-maintained as other parts of town. A bit of urban caution might be a good idea more there than up by Church Street, but that's all. Other young professional hotspots such as Jersey City or Manhattan merit similar caution.

Old 06-24-2014, 06:55 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,216,257 times
Pine Street and Glenridge is not a good corner.

Old 06-26-2014, 08:46 PM

7,055 posts, read 19,312,201 times
It's not a great area... by Montclair standards. You'll be fine. And never leave your car doors unlocked no matter where you are!!

Old 06-26-2014, 08:50 PM

2,734 posts, read 4,151,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJRick View Post
Hello all,

My girlfriend and I are getting our first apartment and have found a beautiful and well priced apartment on Pine Street in Montclair. The apartment is on the third floor and has off street parking. Our only concern is that we have heard it isn't a safe neighborhood which is surprising. Can anybody offer any input towards our dilemma? Is the area unsafe for two people in their 20s? Or do we just need to take simple precautions like locking our cars, and not walking alone?

Thank you
I lived on Pine Street at one day. There were crack vials on the sidewalk and the apartment was full of thousands of roaches.

This was near the Catholic church. Is that the area you are talking about?

Old 06-26-2014, 09:34 PM

1,202 posts, read 3,030,084 times
Lock your damn car wherever!

Sheesh after years on this board, this is still something people don't just do no matter where they live?

I lock my car when I visit my parents who live on a quiet woodlined dead end in Old Tappan.

Old 06-27-2014, 10:20 PM

2,751 posts, read 2,422,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewJerseyMemories View Post
I lived on Pine Street at one day. There were crack vials on the sidewalk and the apartment was full of thousands of roaches.

This was near the Catholic church. Is that the area you are talking about?

Old 06-27-2014, 10:31 PM

2,734 posts, read 4,151,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 908Boi View Post
I must have been tired when I wrote that. I just had minor surgery the day I wrote that and am recovering, and have been surprisingly tired.

I actually lived on Pine Street years ago. It was not a nice neighborhood. Definitely a lot of drug dealers on the corner near the liquor store. And someone was murdered just down the street from me.

My apartment was broken into twice. Both times it was during a one hour timeframe where I was away from my apartment. They must have been watching me and broke into the apartment quickly, and were gone by the time I came back. It was creepy knowing that they were watching.

I also was harassed constantly while walking -- lots of catcalling. I finally got cheap headphones so I wouldn't have to listen to them.

Old 06-28-2014, 07:34 AM

882 posts, read 1,670,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lammius View Post
It's not a great area... by Montclair standards. You'll be fine. And never leave your car doors unlocked no matter where you are!!
Coincidentally, I once left my car keys in the door parked near the upper Montclair train station and it was still there 3 hours later. I guess no one wanted a 15 year old Honda Civic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey