Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2007, 02:40 PM

5,616 posts, read 15,518,974 times

Advertisements

SWB, what rail line do you think it will connect, Port Jervis??? Thanks I hope it happens to for you. I have been to the RR museum in Scranton!! I have also drove all the way to the Grand Canyon on route 6. Been to altoona horse shoe too. I guess RR are pretty interesting !!! Ohh you can add Jim Thorpe, and every German Rest. in PA!!! My goal at one time was to find the best Sauerbraten on the East Coast!!! I managed to go from Florida, to NY State eating German food!!!! Now its all a dying breed.

As far as my friend , no Waymart did not throw him over the edge. He was already a drunk. However, I have a theory on this. Light beer, notice that all alcoholic love light beer. They must put something in the light beer. For example a lot of lushes up here drinking Keystone Light, let me say we drank a whole case and could not even get drunk, but they have 4 beers and seem blitzed. Something in that damn light beer. SWB, I read your posts and enjoy your love for PA!!! My idol Todd Rundgen was born and raised in PA!!! Keep the faith, PA is a nice place to visit, and someday Centralia will stop burning with your faith!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2007, 03:03 PM

330 posts, read 1,196,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKovacs View Post

Having owned a number of older homes, I can honestly say that most people today don't have what it takes- skills-wise, tool-wise or time-wise, to own and maintain one- that's one big reason they'd rather buy a new(er) home than the 60 y/o fixer-uppers that often languish endlessly on the market. Hell, even with the skills and tools that I possess, who's got the time to spend every weekend screwing around with the house?
I definitely agree.

My husband and I restored a 200 year old home once. It's definitely not for the faint of heart. Even when updated, those homes are so much work to maintain. But I believe we should be restoring these homes instead of tearing them down. It's a lot of work, yes. But you just don't find that kind of craftsmanship anymore and they are a part of history that shouldn't be forgotten.

We sold our home when the market peaked to a young couple and I often wonder how my old house is doing. Even though it was updated as much as possible, I hope they continued to properly maintain it and were able to handle the issues that naturally come up with such an older home.

We've never loved any of our new construction homes like we loved that one. We were closely attached to it, even though it almost killed us to bring it back to life.

Old 12-21-2007, 03:28 PM

9,124 posts, read 36,380,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imperieux View Post
I definitely agree.

My husband and I restored a 200 year old home once. It's definitely not for the faint of heart. Even when updated, those homes are so much work to maintain. But I believe we should be restoring these homes instead of tearing them down. It's a lot of work, yes. But you just don't find that kind of craftsmanship anymore and they are a part of history that shouldn't be forgotten.
There are definitely homes built early in the century that offer exemplary craftsmanship and detail and deserve to be saved. Unfortunately, there are also thousands (millions?) of homes from the 40's, 50's, and 60's with poor construction, functionally obsolete floorplans, and plain-jane millwork/features that are often better candidates for the landfill than for restoration. While I hate to say that as a proponent of green building practices, there are times when it makes sense in the grand scheme of things.

I've recently been appointed to the historic preservation committee in my new hometown, and we're working to balance the preservation of a number of historically significant structures with the construction of new buildings that will blend into the fabric of the community, rather than sticking out like a Walmart on Main Street.

Old 12-21-2007, 03:56 PM

1,453 posts, read 4,930,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWB View Post
Well, we're veering way off-topic again, but I want to clarify a few things. I'd love to personally welcome as many folks from NJ, NY, or Cambodia for that matter to NEPA with open arms. An increase in population usually affirms that somebody somewhere is doing something right to make the area so popular. However, I'm disgusted by how those moving here are going about doing it. Instead of purchasing one of the thousands of already built homes that have now heavily saturated the housing market in NEPA, many are plowing over more trees for more new homes. Why? I can't for the life of me figure out why "new" is always "better." I get angry because I hate driving around my area and seeing two "FOR SALE" signs on every block while also seeing the hill behind those blocks being cleared of vegetation for new McMansions.

If you want to move to an area to appreciate its natural beauty and low-cost-of-living, then why tear down trees and jack up the cost-of-living by lining the pockets of greedy developers? How picky do you have to be to not like any of the thousands of homes already on the market? I just don't get it.
Confused, really? I think it is obvious. $$$$$.

Thanks for staying on topic.

Old 12-21-2007, 04:04 PM

330 posts, read 1,196,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKovacs View Post
There are definitely homes built early in the century that offer exemplary craftsmanship and detail and deserve to be saved. Unfortunately, there are also thousands (millions?) of homes from the 40's, 50's, and 60's with poor construction, functionally obsolete floorplans, and plain-jane millwork/features that are often better candidates for the landfill than for restoration. While I hate to say that as a proponent of green building practices, there are times when it makes sense in the grand scheme of things.

I've recently been appointed to the historic preservation committee in my new hometown, and we're working to balance the preservation of a number of historically significant structures with the construction of new buildings that will blend into the fabric of the community, rather than sticking out like a Walmart on Main Street.
Oh, I didn't mean to imply that ALL older homes should be restored. Some older homes clearly should be torn down for better housing.

It's wonderful that you are a member of a historic preservation committee that is working to blend the old with the new. You have the ability to save those structures that are truly important to your town's history and help choose new construction that won't take away from the town's charm.

For that, I applaud you.

Old 07-01-2008, 08:17 PM

48 posts, read 149,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevemorse View Post
SWB, what rail line do you think it will connect, Port Jervis??? Thanks I hope it happens to for you. I have been to the RR museum in Scranton!! I have also drove all the way to the Grand Canyon on route 6. Been to altoona horse shoe too. I guess RR are pretty interesting !!! Ohh you can add Jim Thorpe, and every German Rest. in PA!!! My goal at one time was to find the best Sauerbraten on the East Coast!!! I managed to go from Florida, to NY State eating German food!!!! Now its all a dying breed.

As far as my friend , no Waymart did not throw him over the edge. He was already a drunk. However, I have a theory on this. Light beer, notice that all alcoholic love light beer. They must put something in the light beer. For example a lot of lushes up here drinking Keystone Light, let me say we drank a whole case and could not even get drunk, but they have 4 beers and seem blitzed. Something in that damn light beer. SWB, I read your posts and enjoy your love for PA!!! My idol Todd Rundgen was born and raised in PA!!! Keep the faith, PA is a nice place to visit, and someday Centralia will stop burning with your faith!!!

Route 6 all of the way too cali jezz! Route 6 goes right through my town i am about 3 miles away lol . Was this before route 6 had about 100 detour high ways that made it soo you dont have too take route 6 , Or after?

Old 09-05-2008, 01:09 PM

10 posts, read 47,873 times
Default I had a good experiance

Hi,

My wife and I recently purchased a home from Supreme Modular located in Turnersville NJ. www.suprememodular.com. They were very helpfull and most important, honest. They guided me from start to finish and the final product was more that i imagined. I recommend them!

-Mike
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey