Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2014, 10:46 PM

5,773 posts, read 16,594,813 times

Advertisements

2 hr 8 minute 5.9 mile walk from RR station to waterfall:

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/40.7...2d40.74603!3e2
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2014, 12:21 AM

1,450 posts, read 3,455,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by captne76 View Post
2 hr 8 minute 5.9 mile walk from RR station to waterfall:

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/40.7...2d40.74603!3e2

One which I highly recommend you NOT attempt, as you'll be taking your life in your hands by walking along the extremely busy Rte 206 in Chester. (there are no sidewalks) You also will have to walk from the Gladstone train station to rte 206, along a winding fairly narrow 2 lane road with no sidewalks and limited sight distance for drivers. You can get to the area where the Lamington River is located by taking Lamerson Rd off of Rte 206, however there is no entrance to the park in that area, and no parking either. Well you could park on the side of the road, but that is not recommended, as again the road is a narrow 2 lane, tertiary road with no shoulder. I am certain that one of the local residents who live on the road, upon seeing a strange car parked on the side of the road, will call the local police who will come and investigate. (think small town mayberry RFD) The only Parking lot and park entrance is off rte 24 in Long Valley, and then you have to hike across the whole park to get to the area where the Lamington River is located. It is certainly do-able, but it is a definite hike, albeit an extremely pretty one!

KoalaNJ

Old 07-21-2014, 06:38 AM

5,773 posts, read 16,594,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoalaNJ View Post
One which I highly recommend you NOT attempt, as you'll be taking your life in your hands by walking along the extremely busy Rte 206 in Chester. (there are no sidewalks) You also will have to walk from the Gladstone train station to rte 206, along a winding fairly narrow 2 lane road with no sidewalks and limited sight distance for drivers. You can get to the area where the Lamington River is located by taking Lamerson Rd off of Rte 206, however there is no entrance to the park in that area, and no parking either. Well you could park on the side of the road, but that is not recommended, as again the road is a narrow 2 lane, tertiary road with no shoulder. I am certain that one of the local residents who live on the road, upon seeing a strange car parked on the side of the road, will call the local police who will come and investigate. (think small town mayberry RFD) The only Parking lot and park entrance is off rte 24 in Long Valley, and then you have to hike across the whole park to get to the area where the Lamington River is located. It is certainly do-able, but it is a definite hike, albeit an extremely pretty one!

KoalaNJ
Actually the shorter walk is something like Union Grove Rd, Longview then Pottersville Rd but I would suggest maybe calling the local cab company so you can save your walking for in the park or taking a car over yourself. Walking US206 could be tricky but I think the routing avoids it except to cross it.

Old 07-21-2014, 07:00 AM

23,564 posts, read 17,241,593 times
train to gladstone, car to rt 512, turn off to Willowwood/ Bamboo brook Morris county parks, Hacklebarney right next door.

Old 07-22-2014, 01:16 PM

12 posts, read 19,755 times
Hey, thanks for your efforts. I've been asking around and yes, there is only one entrance and it seems the park is on the small side so it should be easy enough to find that sort of environment along one of the trails.

Old 07-22-2014, 01:25 PM

3,859 posts, read 9,982,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsny View Post
Hey, thanks for your efforts. I've been asking around and yes, there is only one entrance and it seems the park is on the small side so it should be easy enough to find that sort of environment along one of the trails.
FWIW, Electric Brook, downstream from Lake George in Schooley's Mountain Park (not far from where you're going) has some beautiful waterfalls and pools. It's kind of like a mini Hacklebarney-we had a blast there with the dog and my little girl a few weeks ago:

Old 07-22-2014, 01:31 PM

Thanks for the rec! The main issue is, I need to get to a location that's got a lake or river in the woods, with minimal amounts of walking because it's for a photo shoot and I can't drag the actors and makeup artist on an hour-long hike just to get there. That's why I'm trying to find something suitable that's not too far from a park entrance and it seems like Hacklebarney might work well enough in that regard since it's relatively small.

Old 07-22-2014, 05:10 PM

1,450 posts, read 3,455,947 times
Quote:
Thanks for the rec! The main issue is, I need to get to a location that's got a lake or river in the woods, with minimal amounts of walking because it's for a photo shoot and I can't drag the actors and makeup artist on an hour-long hike just to get there. That's why I'm trying to find something suitable that's not too far from a park entrance and it seems like Hacklebarney might work well enough in that regard since it's relatively small.
Hacklebarney is definitely not what one could consider small - it is approx 1,200 acres, or 1.5x the size of NY's Central Park. Also the area where the falls are located are on the far end of the park, opposite of the entrance, so schlepping all the required equipment along the trails to reach the spot is an issue. You should really contact the State Dept of Agriculture with regards to using the site for a photo shoot, as I believe you'll need a permit. I would also recommend speaking with the Morris County Parks Commission as I believe they have several other parks that might better suit your needs. PM me if you would like further info. and recommendations. I've lived in the area and hiked all over this area for decades.

KoalaNJ

Old 07-22-2014, 05:18 PM

Thanks, they said a permit is not required for handheld photo shoots that involve no additional equipment. And by small, I meant not like some of the state parks in upstate NY. Someone familiar with the park said it's about 4 miles all around the trails so going straight down one of the main trails to the closest part of the river will hopefully not be too hard. If you do have recommendations for other locations that might be even more accessible, I would certainly welcome any details! It just has to be a river or lake within a forest that does not involve too much walking to reach. Hacklebarney is the only one I've come across in NJ that has the right look...the others I've looked into are more recreational and open rather than woodsy, but I'd love any suggestions

Old 07-22-2014, 09:37 PM

300 posts, read 438,866 times
Quote:
Hi everyone, I have a two-part question:

I am interested in going to this exact location within Hacklebarney State Park: http://goo.gl/mUqhZj

Can anyone familiar with Hacklebarney please tell me exactly where I should enter the park, how to get to that particular area, and roughly how long it takes to reach? I'm not at all familiar with the park so I would really appreciate any help.

The second part is: is there a way, realistically, to get to that part of Hacklebarney from NYC without a car? What would the closest bus or train line be and is it possible to get a taxi from the station to the appropriate park access point?

Thanks so much!
Hey, I know that spot. 100 years ago, when I was in high school, we'd "roadtrip" (in a cream colored wagoneer) to the black river, sing along to American Beauty, drink boone's farm and go for dip in bras, panties and boxers. This was all before cell phone videos (before touch tone even).

So you take the train to Gladstone. Is the Gladstone market still in business? If so grab a sandwich and bottle. Take pottersville road across 206. follow pottersville to Black river road. the river is on your right. Crawl under the barb wire and rock hop up stream. This route is very bike friendly. About 20 -30 minutes from the train.

Or better yet. rent a car. holland tunnel to 78 west. to 206 north.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey