Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2014, 09:03 AM

3,244 posts, read 5,241,584 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
im sure, for the most part, they used it.
Me, too! Old paper records, however, have a way of disappearing ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
those with connections can get those golden parachutes though - just like the majority of state employees who are like me and the chosen few like you mention above.
AFAIK, no NJ state employees get to cash in massive amounts of unused time. It's mostly municipal workers, who quietly inserted these clauses into labor contracts, and then the bosses had "me too" provisions in their contracts. The other reason for buyouts, was that the new chief didn't want to be "acting" for years, while the former chief was using terminal leave, to burn up his unused days.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2014, 09:14 AM

12,546 posts, read 21,403,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhsx1187 View Post
Since then two things have happened; first, wages for many of these positions have increased dramatically, making public service a sought after and often lucrative job,
Can you give an example of positions and the old wages vs the now-dramatically-increased wages?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhsx1187 View Post
and second, pensions have increased exponentially to the point many now retire with large six-figure pensions paid in perpetuity.
"many"? have pensions increased more than the rate of inflation? again, do you have some specific examples?

Old 07-31-2014, 09:54 AM

12,283 posts, read 35,690,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradykp View Post
Can you give an example of positions and the old wages vs the now-dramatically-increased wages?

"many"? have pensions increased more than the rate of inflation? again, do you have some specific examples?
Yeah, I'd love to see hard data too - I know a lot of state employees and none have gotten raises in years (they net less since pension/health contributions have risen). But, none of them are in the inner Christie circle either.

Old 07-31-2014, 10:07 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,698,345 times
funny, i was trying to come up with something and found this article when i googled. the interesting thing was that they were demonstrating how poor this one state worker was. she is a nurse's assistant and earns $43,578.41 a year. thats a position that requires almost no education. its a very good salary for that job.

Analysis shows some N.J. workers are well-compensated, some well below middle class | NJ.com

Old 07-31-2014, 10:11 AM

477 posts, read 800,940 times
Quote:
Most sick day buyouts are not 1-1, more like 3-1. I know that doesn't please anyone, but let's at least get some facts straight. I defer most of these discussions to tom1944, he knows what he's talking about.

BTW, I get paid for unused vacation if I were to leave/retire in my company.
The problem with sick days is if someone isn't happy with the buy out, they can always just use them until they're gone and still collect the money (for not working). Sick days should be capped and used for like donated sick life IF medically required.

Old 07-31-2014, 10:17 AM

477 posts, read 800,940 times
Quote:
Yeah, I'd love to see hard data too - I know a lot of state employees and none have gotten raises in years (they net less since pension/health contributions have risen). But, none of them are in the inner Christie circle either.
Look at anyone working in a public school. Even the janitors are making 60k plus benefits (including sick time and pension).

Old 07-31-2014, 10:46 AM

13,404 posts, read 28,729,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smommaof3 View Post
Look at anyone working in a public school. Even the janitors are making 60k plus benefits (including sick time and pension).
You need to educate yourself before you speak.
The scope of job responsibilities for school "janitor" involve much more than emptying the trash.
They are responsible for the up keep of the buildings, many are required to have at least a black seal license...so I guess they should get just barely above minimum wage.

The topic of NJ pensions and different reforms have been discussed ad nauseum in this forum.
The pension fund was solvent until Christine Whitman diverted funds to cover something else, which in the private sector would be illegal.
People currently employed deserve to receive what was promised to them, the reform needs to start with new hires and go forward from there.

Some posts on this subject are genuine but others just sound like sour grapes and to those I say should of went to college to teach or should have taken the test to become a cop.

These people are taxpayers as well.

Old 07-31-2014, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
many are required to have at least a black seal license...so I guess they should get just barely above minimum wage..

holy crap!!! a black Seal license!!? are you kidding me? i didnt know they needed one of those!

looks like its really tough to get!

"The state application fee is $100 and it's included in our course fee. Your test consists of a 50 question multiple-choice test and the passing score is 66%.

The Course:
This course consists of four, 2-hour lessons. "

Old 07-31-2014, 11:47 AM

13,404 posts, read 28,729,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
holy crap!!! a black Seal license!!? are you kidding me? i didnt know they needed one of those!

looks like its really tough to get!

"The state application fee is $100 and it's included in our course fee. Your test consists of a 50 question multiple-choice test and the passing score is 66%.

The Course:
This course consists of four, 2-hour lessons. "
AFTER 90days on job training
Experience:
90 days experience in a place that has a boiler that's over 100 hp or has over 4 million BTU's, with a pressure no greater than 15 psi for steam and no greater than 160 PSI if it's a hot water system. If you're from out of state and work with a boiler that's over 100 hp or 4 million BTU's,
you can qualify, provided that we can show your experience in the form of endorsement letters, which we can provide you.

\http://www.boilertraining.com/2008/njrequirements.html

Old 07-31-2014, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
You more than likely pulled that off a site that's bogus. Most go to a vo tech or school like Lincoln Tech for about 5 months ....but laugh it's what you do best

Why not provide the link from where you lifted that little gem
The Training Center - Schedule
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey