Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2013, 08:48 PM

2 posts, read 7,421 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

My partner and I are on the verge of bidding on a place in Glen Ridge. However it is on the very edge of GR and just about in East Orange, which is staring to concern me. I want to feel reasonably safe in my future home and don't want to worry about getting mugged on my way back from the train! Does anyone who lives on this south end of Glen Ridge have any advice? Beyond the property crimes is it reasonably safe?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2013, 09:49 PM

1,450 posts, read 3,453,021 times
This site may help you with your decision. Glen Ridge, NJ Crime Map - Showing Crimes in Glen Ridge - Crime Statistics, Alerts and Reports - Crime Stops Here It is clear that the closer you get to E.O. the more crime you'll find. That being said, for the most part Glen Ridge is a pretty safe community.

HTH
KoalaNJ

Old 04-10-2013, 04:58 AM

1,646 posts, read 2,779,627 times
Glen Ridge is a safe town. The border would not concern me.

Old 04-10-2013, 09:01 AM

2 posts, read 7,421 times
Thanks to both of you! Also--I would assume that the GR police have an active presence in the area--would you say this is the case? During our house hunting I have seen many a cop cruising on Ridgewood.

Old 04-10-2013, 02:02 PM

225 posts, read 720,896 times
Glen Ridge as a whole is a v nice town and generally an expensive one, so the more "affordable" areas do border questionable areas. How safe you feel near that border is probably a personal choice. I have seen listings one block over and personally do not like the proximity to EO/Orange. It's part of the dilemma of searching in Essex Co.

Old 04-10-2013, 02:39 PM

12,283 posts, read 35,680,039 times
if there's a bad section of GR, we all need to pack it in and call it a day.

Old 04-10-2013, 11:10 PM

390 posts, read 1,367,029 times
Besides the effect on property values (the only houses in Glen Ridge that seem to linger on the market are those right in the East Orange border) you have little to worry about. Home break ins, which is the only real danger anywhere in Glen Ridge, seem to happen more often in wealthier parts of town, believe it or not.

That being said, Midland and Hawthorne, being main streets into East Orange, seem to have more trouble than others. The Glen Ridge police keep a detailed blotter online - do a google search of the street to see if anything exciting has happened recently.

Still, anywhere in Glen Ridge, north or south, I'd invest in an alarm system - property crime in the town, per capita, is amongst the highest in the state. The police are rock stars in town, but you can't be too safe considering that almost the entire town is bordered by less than ideal neigjnorhoods . Besides, nothing beats the charm of the gas lamps!

Old 08-01-2014, 10:26 AM

3 posts, read 5,093 times
Lived in Glen Ridge since 1987, sold my first home and purchased a second home on Ridgewood Avenue. This is a pro-active community in which the police department keeps a really tight, watchful eye over everything. People here watch out for each other and there is very little, nearly absent serious crime. Have walked the town on summer evenings and never worried about getting mugged. The houses on the south end near East Orange typically sell very quickly because they are reasonably priced for middle class families who move here for the top rated schools. There was even a fixer upper that was vacant. It was immediately picked up by an investor, fixed up and sold quickly. Also on the south end, there is a really beautiful park surrounded by homes. The park has a ball field where many team games take place and is a beautiful area with a lot of town and sports activities that occur there.
Just as a point of reference, when you cross the border into East Orange, the houses suddenly don't turn into tenements. They are small, well kept suburban homes with people that care about their property. (For several blocks, it still looks like Glen Ridge, minus the gas lamps of course)
There is nothing to fear about moving into this section of town. Many people move up to a larger home after buying there.
Happy House Hunting.

Old 08-03-2014, 08:44 PM

334 posts, read 731,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rescontroversa View Post
Lived in Glen Ridge since 1987, sold my first home and purchased a second home on Ridgewood Avenue. This is a pro-active community in which the police department keeps a really tight, watchful eye over everything. People here watch out for each other and there is very little, nearly absent serious crime. Have walked the town on summer evenings and never worried about getting mugged. The houses on the south end near East Orange typically sell very quickly because they are reasonably priced for middle class families who move here for the top rated schools. There was even a fixer upper that was vacant. It was immediately picked up by an investor, fixed up and sold quickly. Also on the south end, there is a really beautiful park surrounded by homes. The park has a ball field where many team games take place and is a beautiful area with a lot of town and sports activities that occur there.
Just as a point of reference, when you cross the border into East Orange, the houses suddenly don't turn into tenements. They are small, well kept suburban homes with people that care about their property. (For several blocks, it still looks like Glen Ridge, minus the gas lamps of course)
There is nothing to fear about moving into this section of town. Many people move up to a larger home after buying there.
Happy House Hunting.
Ridgewood ave is probably a nicer street. On Midland Ave., the drop-off is dramatic once you cross over into East Orange. I drive through there frequently.

Old 08-05-2014, 08:53 PM

478 posts, read 1,229,641 times
Violent crime? You should be fine. Don't leave your back door unlocked or a bike sitting around. That's a long walk from the train- take the Jitney.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey