Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-22-2007, 07:47 PM

2 posts, read 5,922 times

Advertisements

I have been having some recent discussions with my significant other regarding the best place in the New York City area to raise children. I work in Manhattan and in Greenwich CT. I grew up in LivingstonNJ and would like to Move to either Livingston NJ or MillburnNJ I strongly believe both communities have excellent schools, nice restaurants, parks and many cultural opportunities and provide an easier commute to NYC. Plus I think the housing there is more appropriately priced compared to Long Island. My significant other currently lives in MassapequaPark and would like to stay there or move to Syosset or Oyster Bay which I think are very over priced. I used to work out in Seaford and there is not much on Sunrise Hwy or Merrick road except a lot of traffic and fast food restaurants. Your honest opinions as to the pros and cons of both are greatly appreciated. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2007, 09:10 PM

828 posts, read 3,139,186 times
I would say Millburn.
I hate the Southern State, and I am not a fan of Rte 27.
All of Nassau County is a big turn off for me.
Stay out of Lawngisland...

Old 12-23-2007, 12:24 AM

1,453 posts, read 4,931,763 times
Strange question.
I think the way you frame the question makes me wonder what you are really asking. If you are a person of means- I don't think one is better than the other for child rearing. The general areas they are located in are just very similar. Are you talking about schools? I can't comment on that- don't know.

I would not choose Millburn or that general area. I am not a fan of it. In north NJ I have only lived in the most urban of areas so I would not gravitate to that area in the first place.

I really dislike much of Long Island. From an adult's point of view though I would pick Oyster Bay over NJ. Where is better for kids? I don't think overall it makes a huge difference. You have to determine what specifics are important to you.

I would give the edge to NJ but I only like a few parts of the Island and hate the rest so I have a bias and it is stupid to judge that way.

Old 07-08-2008, 10:54 AM

88 posts, read 536,336 times
I feel all of Long Island is nicer than NJ and way less of an urban enterprise zone....go with Long Island.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey