Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2006, 11:31 AM

1 posts, read 6,539 times

Advertisements

Hello All,
For the past couple of weeks I have been going through the threads in this discussion forum - and have definitely got some insight into the "livable "neighborhoods of NJ. However, I would like to present my case so that I could get your two cents specific to our requirements.

We are a family oriented couple - one of us working in midtown (52nd street ) and the other in downtown Manhattan- and are looking for a starter home where we plan to start a family.
Our desired neighborhood should be a crime free, respectable school district and which is not more than 30 /45minutes door to door commute) for either one of us. For now we are looking for an investment of 450,000 - 500,000 max.
Our research shows that the towns in Hudson county do fit in well with our commute but they do not seem to impress us much (both in terms of neighborhood and budget...Hoboken is pretty expensive/JC is a no -no/)
Would anyone of you have better suggestions - may be in Bergen /Essex/ Union counties?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2006, 11:50 AM

9,124 posts, read 36,391,239 times
Woodbridge in Middlesex County. $450-500k will buy you a very nice home here, possibly within walking distance to the train station. Your commute would be slightly longer than 45 minutes (i think the express trains are just over 45 minutes to Penn Station). If you wanted to drive in, you could be through the Holland Tunnel in less than 40 minutes, provided you go in before 6am, but coming out would be a different story. Of course, getting out of the city by car is a problem regardless of where you live, so the train is the better bet.

Bob

Old 10-30-2006, 08:23 PM

6 posts, read 30,023 times
Smile Essex County Towns

Verona is a really good town with an excellent school system. There is also Caldwell and West Caldwell. You can also look into West Essex (which is made up of Roseland, Fairfield, North Caldwell and Essex Fells) but the houses are a little higher in price but all great neighborhoods and school systems. I am a realtor with Prudential New Jersey Properties in Caldwell, NJ.

Moderator cut: realtor ad

Last edited by Yac; 10-31-2006 at 02:51 AM..

Old 11-01-2006, 05:32 AM

69 posts, read 492,386 times
well I don't know if you heard this but channel 12 news had on that Brick Nj was the safest in the nation.. It would be a little far to travel but, if you are concerned about crime you may want to concider.

Old 11-01-2006, 10:30 AM

24 posts, read 310,953 times
Your problem is asking for a 30/45 minute door-to-door commute. Realistically, very few places outside Hudson County are going to provide that. No way is Woodbridge a 45-minute DOOR-TO-DOOR commute, it's 45 minutes ON THE TRAIN. So add X amount for getting to the train, parking, getting on the train, then add X amount (at least 15 minutes) for getting to 52nd Street or downtown, and you're talking about a 75-minute commute, and frankly that's optimistic. Verona, Brick, West Essex County--no way are these places 45 minutes door-to-door during rush hour. Maybe if your offices were upstairs from the train station....

I live in Fort Lee, right by the GW Bridge, much closer to NYC than any of the places mentioned. I can SOMETIMES make it to 55th and 6th in under an hour door-to-door. SOMETIMES, if the stars align.

I'm not trying to discourage you, but this is the tradeoff we've all dealt with in our different ways. If you value crime-free (is any place crime-free), good public schools, inexpensive housing, then you move farther out and put up with the commute. If you value a 30-minute door-to-door commute, you move closer in and deal with the problems of a more urban setting.

Old 11-01-2006, 05:11 PM

432 posts, read 1,879,705 times
I agree with gromit, I am also in Bergen County, and the traffic makes the timing on the commute unreasonable. At an off hour I am 15 min from the GWB, but during the peak times it can be really much longer. I don't commute, but if I drive to the Bronx to visit my son, and go at an off hour, it is a 45 minute drive. If I go during the rush, it is over an hour. The Jersey side and the crossing are the most difficult part of the trip. There are some good bus connections here, and many people take the bus into port authority or GWB bus station. There are also trains in some parts of the county.

450-500 is possible in some parts of Bergen County, but you really have to ask yourself about the schools, and the type of house you really want. It really buys a starter home in most places if you are looking at a single family house. With home rule, we have over 70 different municipalities here - they all have their own local government, their own schools, and that makes the taxes really high. The quality of the schools varies greatly from town to town. Even if you are looking at private school, you want a home in a town with the kind of school system that would suit you since that affects the value of your home, your neighborhood, and your kids might need to go to public school.

I have a real estate license, but do not actively list or sell homes. If you want specific info on Bergen County, you are welcome to pm me for suggestions. It's do-able, but you are not going to get everything you want at that price. The commute is not 45 minutes, but for many people it is manageable, and they get plenty of family time in. It's just different!

Old 11-02-2006, 07:19 AM

2,909 posts, read 14,089,875 times
Wow $500k for a small house thats not even close to NYC? Have you considered living right in NYC to save that 75 minute commute? I hear Manhattan is great and low crime and my mom has a friend that lives there or nearby in NYC. Hope this helps!

Old 11-02-2006, 08:13 AM
ira

657 posts, read 3,932,256 times
Default Do you have to be in New Jersey?

Have you looked at Staten Island? Its a borough of NYC. The commute to downtown is great - 10 min on a ferry. You can buy a brand new townhouse for $500K. They have pretty good neighborhoods. Not the best schools but very decent. Also, sounds like you guys don't have kids yet. So, you have at least 6 years before school (9months to have a kid + 5 years to kindergarden). If I were you, I wouldn't worry too much about shools at this point. Who knows what's going to happen in 6 years. Some of the not-so-great neighborhoods might become great. Many NYC cops live on Staten Island so they keep the area pretty safe.

Just a thought..

Old 11-02-2006, 01:45 PM

432 posts, read 1,879,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need_affordable_home View Post
Wow $500k for a small house thats not even close to NYC? Have you considered living right in NYC to save that 75 minute commute? I hear Manhattan is great and low crime and my mom has a friend that lives there or nearby in NYC. Hope this helps!
It is close. 15 min from the GWB is close. Fort Lee is even closer. So are parts of Hudson County.

The traffic will back up, but you have to deal with that anyway going to NYC.

500K does not buy you as much here as it does in other parts of NJ. But it buys more than you can get in Manhattan. Some of the outer boros of NYC also are good at that price, but the commute into Manhattan is going to be about the same. Taxes will be less though. It really is about deciding what location fits you best, what you really need, and what you can live without or compromise on.

Old 11-03-2006, 06:15 AM

2,909 posts, read 14,089,875 times
That makes sense and is helpful for anyone reading this. In my opinion, more than half hour commute is excessive. I would take a smaller house or pay more if I could afford for one that doesnt require long commutes because time and gas cost money and its a hassle too. Yes Manhattan isnt going to be cheap but alot of people live there, some even walking distance to their jobs! Others a 5 minute subway commute. Its all about location!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey