Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2014, 03:54 PM

1,198 posts, read 1,624,710 times

Advertisements

There is a difference in how you should respond to different bear encounters, and it depends mostly on the type of encounter. Most grizzly attacks are defensive in nature, as they are defensive of cubs, territory, and food cache. This is why the common wisdom for grizzly attacks is to play dead, as once the attacking bear believes that it has neutralized the threat, it will likely end the attack.

Most black bear attacks are actually predatory in nature, as I believe that this one was. Male black bears are forced out of the group to fend for themselves, and in areas where there is a high density of black bears, the younger, smaller male bears are being driven out of territory by the larger ones. Younger male bears become more aggressive, especially during mating season and in the fall when they are preparing for hibernation. Playing dead is counter-productive against predatory attacks, as this is a sign of submission and, even if a black bear thinks you are dead, it will still eat dead things. If a bear approaches the best bet is to talk to the bear (to let it know that you are human), and appear bigger by standing straight up or on top of something. If it presses toward you, stomp feet, stand your ground, wave arms in the air and appear threatening, as the bear will not want to risk injury for its meal if it doesn't have to. If it continues on and makes contact, throw rocks, yell, and hit the bear with whatever you can pick up off of the ground, because fighting it off is your last hope.

Regarding bear spray, it is reputed to work. Stephen Herrero did a lot of research on bear spray and, if my memory serves me correctly, it worked well on both black and grizzly bears, but it was not uncommon for the black bears to return to the area after being sprayed. Keep that in mind if you have bear spray. I agree that people should be able to carry firearms, but only responsible gun owners, I really don't like the idea of high-strung untrained people running around the woods with guns.

I believe that this is a predatory situation because the bear was guarding the body when the police found it. I think that it's terribly sad and it bothers me that people have made so many unnecessarily abrasive and nearly abusive comments on news forums. His family, obviously, must be devastated and people are saying things like 'sorry to hear about the bear'. If nothing else people should realize that euthanizing the bear is responsible management. Bear behavior is learned and passed along, and once a bear attacks a human it may do it again. I can't imagine the level of misanthropy to write something like this less than 24 hours after this man's (probably terrifying) death. His family and friends are in my thoughts and prayers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2014, 04:20 PM

3,859 posts, read 9,974,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EBWick View Post
Bears commonly rob deer carcasses from hunters while they field dress? Didnt know it was such a problem.
Taken from a popular NJ hunting website:

Quote:
I had to help a fellow bow hunter a week ago this evening to keep a sow and her two cubs at bay while he retrieved a doe and gutted it. The entire time he and I were being "woofed" at, the was sow popping her teeth and clawing up a tree in an attempt to scare us off that deer. It wasn't until a 3rd buddy arrived that she finally stopped all the ruckus, but she didn't move an inch because she wanted at the deer. I'm sure she and the cubs devoured the gut pile quickly after we left the area. All I had was my own guts and a compound bow-that wouldn't have been a lot of comfort if she charged as I talked sternly to her from about 35 yards down a hill while the other guys gutted the doe.
Quote:
IIRC in the middle ages the Germans put a bear on trial for murder. Man, if I could've been his defense attorney. What an easy case. Big teeth, claws, carnivore. What'd you expect?
I agree with you that the bear was just doing what bears do. However, where you and I differ is how to respond to that. The way I see it part of the spoils of evolution is the fact that humans are at the very top of the food chain and are, for lack of a better term, masters of their environment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJmmadude View Post
I really don't like the idea of high-strung untrained people running around the woods with guns.
What a coincidence, neither do gun owners!

Old 09-22-2014, 04:45 PM

3,984 posts, read 7,073,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badfish740 View Post
Taken from a popular NJ hunting website:

I agree with you that the bear was just doing what bears do. However, where you and I differ is how to respond to that. The way I see it part of the spoils of evolution is the fact that humans are at the very top of the food chain and are, for lack of a better term, masters of their environment.

What a coincidence, neither do gun owners!
Putting aside the tragedy of it all, if a shark, bear, tiger or hippo get even a few hundred humans a year that's quite little. Our ancient ancestors must've had to fight them off tooth & nail. We're just shocked cause this isn't supposed to happen in "civilized" society any longer.

Old 09-22-2014, 05:23 PM

4,285 posts, read 10,762,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjinnj View Post
I'm shocked. I've hiked there alone and have run into bears. Usually clapping and coughing loudly get them to walk away. Scattering almost sounds to me that perhaps they triggered the bears chase reflexes. I would like to know more about this.
Its a sad situation, but if the account I read is accurate they did the worst possible thing. You need to intimidate the bear by being loud. Clap, yell, etc. I think you are on to something.

Old 09-22-2014, 05:25 PM

16,910 posts, read 10,582,210 times
This is very tragic. People should know how to deal with a bear encounter. If the bear doesn't notice you, back away quietly and leave. If the bear notices you, make noise and make yourself look bigger. Don't look the bear in the eye. If it's a black bear and he/she charges - stand your ground. It's most likely a bluff charge. Don't run. Don't climb a tree. If a black bear does attack you -fight back! If a brown/grizzly attacks you, play dead. Most of the time the bear does not see you as food. The exception to this is if it's night, which is when bears hunt for food. Carry bear spray and a survival knife. It's unfortunate that nj does not allow law abiding people to carry firearms for self defense (this kid's blood is partly on the hands of the legislature). If you have food carry it in airtight containers. If you do run, try to run downhill and change directions. Never go near a baby bear. Never go near a bear that's guarding food. Never feed a bear.

Remember:

brown, lie down;
Black, fight back;
White, good night!

Old 09-22-2014, 05:52 PM

13,980 posts, read 25,939,932 times
The victim was a college student. The vast majority of colleges prohibit students from carrying guns, not just those in NJ. Where should he have left his gun while attending classes?

I do agree that people need to learn what to do when encountering a bear. Fortunately, grizzlies and polar bears aren't known to inhabit NJ.

Old 09-22-2014, 06:10 PM

323 posts, read 575,089 times
njmdude hit the nail directly on the head ,once a bear is in predatory mode you have to fight to save your life ,its that simple

on another note ,we may be masters of our environment ,but humans are certainly the most destructive species on this planet

Old 09-22-2014, 06:37 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,672,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hikinman63 View Post
on another note ,we may be masters of our environment ,but humans are certainly the most destructive species on this planet
who cares? the planet is of no value if it wasn't for humans (americans specifically).

anyway, when im at the dog park and a dog is being mean to me, I yell at it.

Old 09-22-2014, 06:49 PM

3,984 posts, read 7,073,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
This is very tragic. People should know how to deal with a bear encounter. If the bear doesn't notice you, back away quietly and leave. If the bear notices you, make noise and make yourself look bigger. Don't look the bear in the eye. If it's a black bear and he/she charges - stand your ground. It's most likely a bluff charge. Don't run. Don't climb a tree. If a black bear does attack you -fight back! If a brown/grizzly attacks you, play dead. Most of the time the bear does not see you as food. The exception to this is if it's night, which is when bears hunt for food. Carry bear spray and a survival knife. It's unfortunate that nj does not allow law abiding people to carry firearms for self defense (this kid's blood is partly on the hands of the legislature). If you have food carry it in airtight containers. If you do run, try to run downhill and change directions. Never go near a baby bear. Never go near a bear that's guarding food. Never feed a bear.

Remember:

brown, lie down;
Black, fight back;
White, good night!
This is an asinine statement. Its like saying people should carry alien death ray guns around just in case they run into one out in the woods.

Old 09-22-2014, 07:01 PM

16,910 posts, read 10,582,210 times
Quote:
This is an asinine statement. Its like saying people should carry alien death ray guns around just in case they run into one out in the woods.
When was the last time an alien mauled someone in the nj woods?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey