Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2014, 09:11 AM

13,404 posts, read 28,729,623 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badfish740 View Post
The only "evidence" I've seen is in the comments section of the various NJ.com articles by bear kooks who are 150% certain that a black bear would NEVER harm a human being and that there MUST be more to the story... If you want to be an animal rights type, fine, have at it, but don't pretend that a wild animal that is far stronger and faster than a human being is like a big cuddly puppy. This is verbiage from their website:

The claims that their claws are not dangerous and they don't defend their young is absurd. Also, time to update that last part.

This is part of the problem-if you see a black bear from your deck it's not normal and not a good thing. People in NJ think "Oh goodie! I moved out to the country and now I can see black bears from my porch!" That's a bear that has zero fear of humans.
We have had them for years and years and years. I'm not a newly transplanted city person, not my first rodeo. They were always there in the woods until they cut down all 30 acres to build McMansions in my neighborhood and that's when we started to actually see them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2014, 09:23 AM

585 posts, read 492,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EBWick View Post
You should've flipped out and shot them with your sidearm. Show em who's boss of the Jersey food chain.
Why? They were doing there own thing as was I.

Old 09-23-2014, 09:27 AM

3,859 posts, read 9,979,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
We have had them for years and years and years. I'm not a newly transplanted city person, not my first rodeo. They were always there in the woods until they cut down all 30 acres to build McMansions in my neighborhood and that's when we started to actually see them.
The point I was attempting to make is that it's not normal for a bear to wander through your backyard. Ever. If bears are wandering into/through your yard its indicative of the fact that they are living too close to human settlement and as a result, have become comfortable there. We can go back and forth all day about how they were there first, etc... However, the fact remains that its not good, normal, or acceptable for bears to be roaming in backyards.

Old 09-23-2014, 09:33 AM

16,911 posts, read 10,591,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
The victim was a college student. The vast majority of colleges prohibit students from carrying guns, not just those in NJ. Where should he have left his gun while attending classes?

I do agree that people need to learn what to do when encountering a bear. Fortunately, grizzlies and polar bears aren't known to inhabit NJ.
At home, he lived in Edison. Even if he didn't, it's silly to say that relaxing overly strict gun laws would not have helped in this situation because of the overly strict gun laws and policies.

Old 09-23-2014, 09:34 AM

16,911 posts, read 10,591,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EBWick View Post
1 death by a bear in forever and you want hikers to carry AKs. makes sense from a gun nut POV I suppose.
I'm not a "gun nut" and I never said anything about an AK47. Why are you making things up now?

Old 09-23-2014, 09:40 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,698,345 times
i want to mount a machine gun to my SUV in the off chance i run into a rhino.

Old 09-23-2014, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
i want to mount a machine gun to my SUV in the off chance i run into a rhino.
This thread is beginning to circle the bowl...

Old 09-23-2014, 09:45 AM

13,404 posts, read 28,729,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badfish740 View Post
The point I was attempting to make is that it's not normal for a bear to wander through your backyard. Ever. If bears are wandering into/through your yard its indicative of the fact that they are living too close to human settlement and as a result, have become comfortable there. We can go back and forth all day about how they were there first, etc... However, the fact remains that its not good, normal, or acceptable for bears to be roaming in backyards.
It may not be normal but it is what it is, unless they show aggressive tendencies the game and wild life people or who ever over sees them won't do anything so we just stay aware and live with it as do my neighbors.
I can't legally shoot the thing as he short cuts through my yard now can I?

Old 09-23-2014, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
It may not be normal but it is what it is, unless they show aggressive tendencies the game and wild life people or who ever over sees them won't do anything so we just stay aware and live with it as do my neighbors. I can't legally shoot the thing as he short cuts through my yard now can I?
No, nor should you, but you could certainly report it so that it can be tagged, monitored, and if necessary, trapped and relocated. Perhaps if that had been done with this bear in the past he wouldn't have been so emboldened. Don't forget that if this bear had a healthy fear of humans, not only would the hiker still be alive, the bear would still be alive as well. Ensuring that bears are averse to human contact is as much for our safety as it is for theirs. This is where the animal rights kooks go off the rails:

"Singing" with a black bear cub

www.youtube.com/watch?v=4mh3JQXChB0

How this woman has not been mauled herself is a mystery. She has made many videos like this one.

Old 09-23-2014, 09:53 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,698,345 times
it must really suck to get killed by a bear. i think most animals in the wild die while being eaten by something else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey