Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2014, 05:44 AM

107 posts, read 196,240 times

Advertisements

Also look at Westfield and Cranford
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2014, 06:22 AM

472 posts, read 814,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neon_volt View Post
Also look at Westfield and Cranford
The OP would have a hard time finding a house in Cranford since many houses are in the $400,000-$600,000 range.

Old 09-27-2014, 11:54 AM

1,620 posts, read 3,783,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spaceman27 View Post
The OP would have a hard time finding a house in Cranford since many houses are in the $400,000-$600,000 range.
I do not see Cranford as that good of a commute compare to Westfield. By the time the bus gets to Cranford, it is usually full/standing room. So you have to wait for the next one which puts you at the same time as Westfield. The train is only 4 minutes longer (6 if it stops at Garwood, 5 minutes SHORTER if you get the express where the first stop home (or last stop before Newark) is Westfield).

But Westfield would put you around 1:20 each way. 15 minutes to the train, another 45 on it, then 20 to your office. 50's on the east side is always a pain unless you take the ferry (which most people have to drive to or take the light rail (which does not stop in any town with good schools).

Old 10-16-2014, 01:22 PM

12,546 posts, read 21,437,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dangermouse23 View Post
Roughly an hour or just over would be fine. Anywhere in Hudson County you'd recommend? The office is in the 50's on the east side.
you're looking at 70 minute commute minimum, my bet. friends live in west caldwell and work in that section of NYC. you're going to have to compromise on the commute is my bet. but your budget should give you plenty of good options with a < 90 minute commute.

Old 04-24-2015, 07:33 AM

2,684 posts, read 2,410,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradykp View Post
you're looking at 70 minute commute minimum, my bet. friends live in west caldwell and work in that section of NYC. you're going to have to compromise on the commute is my bet. but your budget should give you plenty of good options with a < 90 minute commute.
Agreed- east 50's are at least another 10-20 minutes from whichever transit hub you go through from New Jersey.

My recommendation would be Connecticut, since grand central is much closer to the east 50's. Also, Forest Hills has decent schools and could be a ~30 min commute, depending on where you office is in relation to the subway.

I grew up in Jersey, and it's a great place for a true midtown commute and sometimes for a downtown commute, but anywhere on the east side of the island is just a pain to get to from Jersey unless you drive every day (which is another option).

Old 04-24-2015, 12:49 PM

380 posts, read 609,332 times
Less than 1 hr. to the East side from anywhere in NJ is not easy, and tougher still with your requirements since it would exclude places like Fort Lee, Weehawken, etc. I would say your best bet would be to drive; during off peak hours it can absolutely be done in less than 1 hr from Bergen County. With driving, the bridge is better than the tunnel since you won't have to go crosstown, which is far worse than the FDR.

Towns to consider: Bergen: Ridgewood, Glen Rock, Tenafly, any of the towns that send to Northern Highlands(I'd also add Englewood Cliffs/Englewood if you don't mind sending your kids to private school). Essex: Millburn, Essex Fells, West Caldwell. Hudson: Nothing, it doesn't have the type of towns you are looking for.

Old 04-25-2015, 05:34 PM

312 posts, read 687,384 times
I agree with Forest Hills (Queens), but you probably won't get new/modern.

Old 04-25-2015, 09:32 PM

15 posts, read 28,332 times
Millburn. Perhaps find something within a 5 minute walk to the train. 35 min walk + 5 min train + 20 minutes to get to east side = 1 hour at best.

Old 04-26-2015, 09:48 AM

48 posts, read 68,032 times
If you would consider taking a ferry into the city, you could look at Rumson, in Monmouth County. A million dollars won't get you one of the mansions, but it'll get you a decent house in very nice condition, or a larger house needing work. Most properties in that price range will have at least an acre of property.The school district is excellent. The only problem with the ferry, which lets you out as East 35th Street I think, is that in the winter the water is frozen and you'll have to take the train from Little Silver. I don't know how long the train takes.

Old 04-27-2015, 07:24 AM

11 posts, read 24,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EBWick View Post
Schools though? Good but not the best in north Jersey. That would be towns like Chatham, Mendham, Millburn, New Providence, Ridgewood, Summit, Tenafly & Westfield.
Would look at these towns + Glen Rock. My door to door commute this AM from Ridgewood to East 50s was 60 minutes flat using the train/E subway. Usual range is 60-75 minutes coming in and 65-80 minutes going back.

Biggest variables for you would be what time you need to get in/leave and how close you live to the train. I can leave my house ~5 minutes before the train comes, which helps. 7:02/7:06am train from RW/GR is quickest since it is the 1st express and there is less train traffic going into Penn and is usually a quicker trip than what's on the nj transit schedule. Going back home is quickest if you can catch the 6:16pm or earlier train from Penn. Otherwise tack on another 5 minutes to the range above.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey