Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2014, 12:52 PM

3,859 posts, read 9,999,376 times

Advertisements

This board is full of threads decrying everything that's wrong with public employment. However, I'd be interested to hear from folks who have problem with the current system about how they would structure it if they could. Is the answer to simply pay public employees less/make them contribute more to their healthcare? Would it be to cut the number of public employees? Rank and file? Upper management? How about retirement? Should there be any employer contribution? Should employee participation be mandatory? Would privatization of certain functions play a role?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2014, 01:10 PM

294 posts, read 243,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badfish740 View Post
This board is full of threads decrying everything that's wrong with public employment. However, I'd be interested to hear from folks who have problem with the current system about how they would structure it if they could. Is the answer to simply pay public employees less/make them contribute more to their healthcare? Would it be to cut the number of public employees? Rank and file? Upper management? How about retirement? Should there be any employer contribution? Should employee participation be mandatory? Would privatization of certain functions play a role?
You basically run it like a private business. That means:

1) Slashing jobs. You could probably eliminate 50% of government employees without difficulty, particularly since a bunch of them are just there to maintain the red tape of New Jersey government. Even staunchly pro-teacher types wonder why there are so many high-paid administrators. Get rid of most of them. I bet you if we listed every "public servant" in your township, your head would spin. And you're telling me they're all necessary for the existence and functioning of your township? If so, I have a bridge to sell you.

2) Cut salaries. People will howl about this, but too bad. You may argue that public servants are paid too little as it is. First of all, false (but we can discuss that later). But second of all, even if they're paid a low amount currently, it's probably more than they should be getting paid. For example, in government, as soon as you become a "director" of anything, it's guaranteed to be a six-figure income. And yet, for example, your Parks Director is probably some guy who has a high school diploma who has minimal duties and has that income because he was in the department for so long. Are we going to pretend this guy does major thinking and planning? If so, the bridge is back.

3) No pensions. Guess what, for most of human history, the rule was "you work, you get paid." It still works for the vast majority of humans on this Earth. Unless you can explain to me how public "servants" are more privileged than the people they serve, that ends.

4) Retirement packages begin. They can contribute to retirement plans, which will probably be pretty good since there are so many government employees (depending on how many I eliminated in Step 1, I guess). They can have matched contributions to a point, similar to private corporations, to encourage savings. If they don't want to contribute, that's their decision.

5) You retire whenever you want, since you're the one who pays for your retirement.

Old 10-29-2014, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pimbolo View Post
1) Slashing jobs. You could probably eliminate 50% of government employees without difficulty, particularly since a bunch of them are just there to maintain the red tape of New Jersey government. Even staunchly pro-teacher types wonder why there are so many high-paid administrators. Get rid of most of them. I bet you if we listed every "public servant" in your township, your head would spin. And you're telling me they're all necessary for the existence and functioning of your township? If so, I have a bridge to sell you.
I'm intimately familiar with how many public workers we have in my town. I wouldn't call the staffing levels excessive because we don't have very many (we're a borough of less than 4,000)-we do however have a police force with seven officers and a secretary supporting the Chief which is ridiculous. There's no earthly reason we need our own police force, nor does any town in Hunterdon County with the exception of maybe Lambertville. As for high-paid administrators in education you're spot on.

Quote:
2) Cut salaries. People will howl about this, but too bad. You may argue that public servants are paid too little as it is. First of all, false (but we can discuss that later). But second of all, even if they're paid a low amount currently, it's probably more than they should be getting paid. For example, in government, as soon as you become a "director" of anything, it's guaranteed to be a six-figure income. And yet, for example, your Parks Director is probably some guy who has a high school diploma who has minimal duties and has that income because he was in the department for so long. Are we going to pretend this guy does major thinking and planning? If so, the bridge is back.
I think you're overestimating here by a lot. Browse through APP Data Universe:

DataUniverse | The Asbury Park Press NJ | app.com

You'll find plenty of directors of X, Y, and Z who aren't making six figures or even close. As for the "Parks Director," we don't have one, but the fact of the matter is that it varies wildly because these are often either appointed positions, or supposedly competitive positions that really are appointed. Getting rid of the power of municipalities to create fiefdoms would solve that problem.

Quote:
3) No pensions. Guess what, for most of human history, the rule was "you work, you get paid." It still works for the vast majority of humans on this Earth. Unless you can explain to me how public "servants" are more privileged than the people they serve, that ends.
That's up for debate I suppose. Personally I would be fine with letting public employees keep pensions if the system itself was brought under control.

Old 10-29-2014, 01:45 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,814,073 times
401k style pension. no defined benefit pension. all obligations that arent paid can not be pushed into the future.

Old 10-29-2014, 01:47 PM

Woo hoo! I used that app and immediately found a teacher in Southern NJ who makes over $75,000 for teaching Kindergarten. LMAO. This will provide me with hours of entertainment.

ZING! $90,000 for PE!

$85,000 for Art!

$90,000 for School Counselor!

Old 10-29-2014, 01:50 PM

OK, now I'm getting depressed.

Old 10-29-2014, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Woo hoo! I used that app and immediately found a teacher in Southern NJ who makes over $75,000 for teaching Kindergarten. LMAO. This will provide me with hours of entertainment.

ZING! $90,000 for PE!

$85,000 for Art!

$90,000 for School Counselor!
What would you pay them and how would you arrive at that figure?

Old 10-29-2014, 01:56 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,814,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badfish740 View Post
What would you pay them and how would you arrive at that figure?
as a general rule, pay is determined by the marketplace. you could look at what someone is paid for equal work/education/experience etc. in the private sector. ultimately, you could pay less and less until you find that your compensation isnt enough to attract qualified candidates (when you are starting from the high end). thats basically how we determine pay at work, what must you pay in order to hire and retain the employees you need.

Old 10-29-2014, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
as a general rule, pay is determined by the marketplace. you could look at what someone is paid for equal work/education/experience etc. in the private sector. ultimately, you could pay less and less until you find that your compensation isnt enough to attract qualified candidates (when you are starting from the high end). thats basically how we determine pay at work, what must you pay in order to hire and retain the employees you need.
It's kind of tough to do with teachers though isn't it? The number of public school jobs will always far outweigh the number of private school jobs even in a state like NJ with a lot of private schools, which will skew the numbers.

Old 10-29-2014, 01:59 PM

2,499 posts, read 2,633,547 times
There is only one truly fair way to pay- piece work and commission.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey