Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2014, 10:06 AM

3 posts, read 5,088 times

Advertisements

Hi, guys, I am going to move to New Jersey because of my new job, I would like to find a nice neighborhood to live, any useful/helpful information would be greatly appreciated.

My Case:

I am a single GAY male, 27 years old. My working location is Bristol Myers Squibb at New Brunswick, NJ site. I would like a place that has the following conditions:

1. Relatively 5-10 mins drive to a nice gym (such as LA fitness);
2. Close to Train Station commute to New York, because I am going to take part time school at NYU.
3. 30 mins drive to the company for work.

Budget would be $1500--$2000 including everything.

My friends told me New Brunswick itself is kind of dangerous, so I am searching other stations (Edison, Metuchen, etc) in Northeast Corridor Line. Do you guys know any nice apartment around those stations? I found out Edison Village, Blueberry Village are perfect for my 3 requirements, but they had horrible reviews online.

Thank you so much for any help. I have zero knowledge about New Jersey. I am from Pittsburgh PA.

Sean

Last edited by Sean_Wang; 11-11-2014 at 11:33 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2014, 10:24 AM

4,073 posts, read 8,983,838 times
I think New Brunswick would be a good spot. It's really mostly safe.

Are you looking for night life close to where you live?

Old 11-11-2014, 11:00 AM

3,984 posts, read 7,078,794 times
Not sure of your budget, but I walk by these Vue apts on Somerset St. in downtown NB and it looks nice. And Edison & Metuchen are relatively booooring compared to NB.

The Vue | Apartments in New Brunswick, NJ

Old 11-11-2014, 11:17 AM

110 posts, read 175,442 times
New Brunswick has some sketchy spots but the main downtown area is nicely gentrified and generally safe.

Old 11-11-2014, 12:31 PM

3 posts, read 5,088 times
Yes, a place with night life would be great.

Thanks for your information. I am checking the apartments in downtown new Brunswick, it looks like the Vue, skylight, George are nice and expensive.

Old 11-11-2014, 12:49 PM

7 posts, read 14,317 times
what about Morristown

Old 11-11-2014, 12:54 PM

2,535 posts, read 6,669,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean_Wang View Post
Yes, a place with night life would be great.

Thanks for your information. I am checking the apartments in downtown new Brunswick, it looks like the Vue, skylight, George are nice and expensive.
Welcome to NJ where nice is synonymous with expensive.

Old 11-11-2014, 03:32 PM

19,137 posts, read 25,345,191 times
Quote:
My working location is Bristol Myers Squibb at New Brunswick, NJ site. I would like a place that has the following conditions:

30 mins drive to the company for work.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjm07030 View Post
what about Morristown
30 minutes from Morristown to New Brunswick?
Perhaps before 6:00 AM or after 8:00 PM, and with the pedal to the metal constantly, but...during typical commuting hours?
Absolutely not.

Old 11-11-2014, 04:16 PM

545 posts, read 1,101,572 times
South Bound Brook - It's 10 mins to New Brunswick (probably 20 in rush hour). it has nice new gentrified apartments in it's downtown, and is right near a train station that goes to NYC. very walkable area

Old 11-11-2014, 06:16 PM

3,021 posts, read 5,855,263 times
Quote:
Hi, guys, I am going to move to New Jersey because of my new job, I would like to find a nice neighborhood to live, any useful/helpful information would be greatly appreciated.

My Case:

I am a single GAY male, 27 years old. My working location is Bristol Myers Squibb at New Brunswick, NJ site. I would like a place that has the following conditions:

1. Relatively 5-10 mins drive to a nice gym (such as LA fitness);
2. Close to Train Station commute to New York, because I am going to take part time school at NYU.
3. 30 mins drive to the company for work.

Budget would be $1500--$2000 including everything.

My friends told me New Brunswick itself is kind of dangerous, so I am searching other stations (Edison, Metuchen, etc) in Northeast Corridor Line. Do you guys know any nice apartment around those stations? I found out Edison Village, Blueberry Village are perfect for my 3 requirements, but they had horrible reviews online.

Thank you so much for any help. I have zero knowledge about New Jersey. I am from Pittsburgh PA.

Sean

I suggest New Brunswick. Lots of new construction & a Rutgers campus. The NJ Transit train station is right in town (North East Corridor line.) New Jersey Transit - Home for schedules.

There's also a bus that stops right by the train station in NB that goes to the City & to Princeton in the other direction. Coach USA

I've walked around NB late at night, walked to the train station late at night & always felt safe. There's always people around even late at night. (And I'm an old lady <g>)

However, what do you mean by "Budget would be $1500--$2000 including everything." ??

What do you consider "everything"?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey