Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2014, 11:14 AM

50 posts, read 67,700 times

Advertisements

Hi I live in Union city Nj. We just moved into this apartment in October. First let me say when we first moved into the apartment it was disgusting, it was as if the people who previously lived here never cleaned since the day they moved in until the day they moved out. There was grime along the floors and the walls were literally black. The landlords knew the apartment was really dirty and they offered to give me the last weeks of September free so that we can paint and clean. I found it a bit odd, because I never met a landlord that would do this but the over all condition of the apartment was not bad just dirty and the rent was also very decent. They even knocked off 50 from the initial rent price because of the work we had to do, which I found really nice.

So we cleaned up the place, painted and made it look nice and moved in. Have not had any other issues except with the heat. The first night that the temperature dropped, I did not think anything of it. It was the first cold night of the year and they don't live in the building. So I simply called the owner the next morning and told her that it was very cold during the night and I have 2 small kids and if she can turn on the heat she apologized and within 30 mins the heat was on. She even went to the extent of checking in 2 days later to make sure we were ok.

The following week the temp rose and they turned off the heat, which I understood why they would turn it off I because it was warmer. Of course 2 days later it got colder and once again we had a night of no heat. The next morning I ran into a neighbor and I asked him if he had no heat as well , he expressed to me that he has been living in the building for 10 years and he has always had this issue with the landlord. Specifically the husband because he is "cheap". I proceeded in calling the landlady and very nicely told her that we had no heat and it was very cold last night. Once again she responded almost immediately and the heat was put on. She apologized a million times and told me to please call her anytime this happens because no one lets her know and it's the first time she has a tenant complaining about heat.
Then 4 days later it HAPPENS AGAIN ! The heat was completely off , radiators cold not warm just off. I called her again, this time I express that I am a bit upset because not even a week has passed. I get the whole sob I am sorry story again. This was last week on Thursday, since then we have been having heat with no problem, until today. I felt the house a little colder , check the radiator and it's cold, that's was at 9:10 am , it's is now 1:03 pm and it has not kicked on yet. We haven't even been here 2 complete months and this would make it the 4th time !!!

I have asked other tenants what they have done and they say they have just bought space heaters, apparently the few tenants who have complained end up getting kicked out. Can you believe that ! I refuse to have to spend more money on electricity because these people want to not give heat! I mean I understand you getting a space heater because the heat may not be warm enough for you , but because a landlord simply is not giving heat and your scared that's a no ! I want to make sure that I go through this the most proper way, protecting myself and my family of any injustices . We pay our rent and we have rights. Besides constantly calling and complaining how else can I get them to rightfully put on the heat and stop playing around with it .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2014, 04:47 PM

3,021 posts, read 5,849,103 times
There are habitability laws. Heat has to be provided when the temps go below a certain number (not sure of the number.) Here's contact info for Union City municipality:

City of Union City, NJ - Official Website :: City Directory

Call them & ask who takes care of tenant complaints of no heat. Also ask what the exact law states.

Old 11-20-2014, 05:19 PM

Thanks the law states that from oct 1 until may 1, the landlord must be providing enough heat that from the hours of 6am to 11pm the temp inside should be 68 degrees and from the hours of 11pm to 6 am , the temp inside should be 65.

My husband called the landlord and she said 'oh it must be low , i will send my son to raise it " My husband made sure to tell her that it was not low , and it was OFF. " She sent her son to put it on.

I hope that we don't have to go through this the whole winter, I am really hoping that they see that we are not like the other tenants and will not conform to a space heater because they don't want to provide heat. It also makes me very upset that they would take advantage of the other tenants that way , and that they have instilled this fear in them that if they complain they will be evicted. Horrible....

Old 11-20-2014, 06:38 PM

3,021 posts, read 5,849,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubito1724 View Post
Thanks the law states that from oct 1 until may 1, the landlord must be providing enough heat that from the hours of 6am to 11pm the temp inside should be 68 degrees and from the hours of 11pm to 6 am , the temp inside should be 65.

My husband called the landlord and she said 'oh it must be low , i will send my son to raise it " My husband made sure to tell her that it was not low , and it was OFF. " She sent her son to put it on.

I hope that we don't have to go through this the whole winter, I am really hoping that they see that we are not like the other tenants and will not conform to a space heater because they don't want to provide heat. It also makes me very upset that they would take advantage of the other tenants that way , and that they have instilled this fear in them that if they complain they will be evicted. Horrible....

I wonder if some of the other tenants are not here legally & are afraid of the authorities?

Noone should have to live in a freezing apartment. There are laws.

I would think that if the landlord is not providing heat that you can get out of the lease. You might want to research that.

This landlord sounds like nothing but trouble for you & your family.

Old 11-20-2014, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daliowa View Post
I wonder if some of the other tenants are not here legally & are afraid of the authorities?

Noone should have to live in a freezing apartment. There are laws.

I would think that if the landlord is not providing heat that you can get out of the lease. You might want to research that.

This landlord sounds like nothing but trouble for you & your family.
I honestly think that is the problem, I have noticed that everyone that lives in the building is Hispanic, and perhaps a few are illegal and are possibly scared because of that. Either way legal or Not it's messed up that they have these people paying rent with Heat included and they have not been providing it .

I did look into getting out of the lease and from what I read if you have complained about an issue and the landlord does not fix the issue then you may be able to break your lease. That's one thing I will say, the minute we call, they come and put it on(I am sure because they know it's illegal). So I don't know if that qualifies as them not fixing a problem. Considering they do put it on.

But why turn it off in the first place. Like I know next week the temp is going to go up to 64, they are going to shut it off. And not that I am saying 64 is freezing and there must be heat but first just cuz it's 64 during the day time , at night it will drop, and secondly 64 degrees in nov is not the same feel as 64 degrees in April/may. Besides isn't the point of the thermostat so that u can set it at a specific temp for a room and not have to be turning it on and off ?

Old 11-21-2014, 11:11 AM

2,407 posts, read 3,187,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubito1724 View Post
Besides isn't the point of the thermostat so that u can set it at a specific temp for a room and not have to be turning it on and off ?
I was going to make that point. What's the reason for turning it on and off- is the thermostat broken? Or can you control the temperature on your own? They may not want you to turn the heat up, so if they turn it off, they know they are not paying anything.

Old 11-21-2014, 11:26 AM

2,535 posts, read 6,665,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macrodome2 View Post
I was going to make that point. What's the reason for turning it on and off- is the thermostat broken? Or can you control the temperature on your own? They may not want you to turn the heat up, so if they turn it off, they know they are not paying anything.
They are trying to save money by turning it off and on. It's been found that using this strategy can save 5%-%15 on your energy bill. It's a myth that it is more efficient to keep a house at an even temperature. It's fine if you are doing this in your own house but to make other people suffer is ridiculous and, as others pointed out, probably illegal. Contact the city.

Old 11-21-2014, 12:03 PM

527 posts, read 1,408,272 times
Does the apartment have gas?
Do you pay specfically for the gas?
Do you have a gas range
If yes/no/yes
run the gas burners on the range top for heat
Not the safest thing but will keep you warm

if you don't pay for the apartment electric
buy a couple of space heaters and run them to compensate
Landlord will freak out the first electric bill
maybe then he will keep heat on

Have thermometer in living room
as soon as it falls to 67, call them
keep calling

Old 11-21-2014, 12:21 PM

2,257 posts, read 5,186,558 times
Record your calls and keep a log. It may come in handy if they try to evict or you decide to break the lease.

Old 11-21-2014, 12:34 PM

4,940 posts, read 12,142,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdstyles View Post
They are trying to save money by turning it off and on. It's been found that using this strategy can save 5%-%15 on your energy bill. It's a myth that it is more efficient to keep a house at an even temperature.
That is not true in all cases. I actually tried turning my heat on and off for a month and my gas bill almost doubled from what I was normally paying. In this case they are trying to save money by keeping the heat off and hoping nobody will complain.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of: