Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2008, 12:17 PM

41 posts, read 150,619 times

Advertisements

Mine is a rather unusual situation. I'm getting divorced on Monday (after almost two years of seperation). I've been a SAHM for 8 years now, and the kids are 10, 7, 3, and 20 months. The oldest has been in GATE for 4 years, the 7 year old is smart too, but not like her brother. She's also a bit behind the other kids in her social growth, and I think that is because out of school they don't get to see many children.

To get to the point, we're house hunting. I'm going to have an income of about $2,700 - $2,800 a month, and about $70k cash to put down on a home. With those particulars, I'll only qualify for about $139k mortgage. (real flexible budget, right?) Ok, now the grandparents live in Bergen County. We currently live in Warren County, my boyfriend lives in Middlesex County, and my about-to-be-ex-husband goes back and forth between Bergen and Warren. I would like to stay within 60-80 minutes of my parents. I don't want to live somewhere like Patterson, Philipsburg, Clifton, etc. I want more of an old fashioned, quiet town like Belvidere, where the kids are going to feel safe and make friends while I still have an easy commute to Morris County (for the baby's heart doctor appointments) and Bergen County (for the grandparents).

I thought about looking down by Keyport, Keansburg, etc., and I would really love to find something in Belvidere, but the pickings are slim. I can do home improvements like painting, refinishing floors, etc., but I'll only have a small budget to do those things on. Any ideas on where to look???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2008, 12:41 PM

1,363 posts, read 5,928,196 times
Check South River in Middlesex County. I feel like I'm the town's cheerleader recently. Taxes are low, and you may be able to find a home in your range-I'm not positive about that, but with the way the market is now you may be able to. It's a small town and small school district, but my cousin, also gifted and talented, went to school here and she did very well.

Old 01-04-2008, 01:19 PM

12,283 posts, read 35,690,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by regarese View Post
Check South River in Middlesex County. I feel like I'm the town's cheerleader recently. Taxes are low, and you may be able to find a home in your range-I'm not positive about that, but with the way the market is now you may be able to. It's a small town and small school district, but my cousin, also gifted and talented, went to school here and she did very well.
it's a dirty business, but we gotta do it.

Old 01-04-2008, 04:05 PM

23,867 posts, read 33,561,054 times
If all else fails houses are cheaper down here. This house is now down to $149,999; it belongs to a neighbor of mine.. currently up for sheriff's sale. 2007 Property Tax: $2,592. They are not living in the house, so someone can occupy it immediatly.

It's a cute house with a fenced yard. The school system has programs for 3 and 4 year olds.

Old 01-04-2008, 04:18 PM

Its really sad how so many people are losing their homes due to foreclosures, etc. Some people took out interest only loans with the intentions of flipping houses, and wound up stuck or in foreclosure because they just couldn't keep up with rising mortgage rates.

Thank you for the suggestion of South River. There were only two houses there that are in my price range though. At least its an area to keep an eye on. I'm also thinking about Monmouth County....particularly Keansburg, Keyport, Aberdeen, that area. What say you all?

Old 01-04-2008, 04:31 PM

810 posts, read 2,292,684 times
Maybe Raritan Boro/ Somerville

Old 01-04-2008, 05:06 PM

23,867 posts, read 33,561,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momof4littleones View Post
Its really sad how so many people are losing their homes due to foreclosures, etc. Some people took out interest only loans with the intentions of flipping houses, and wound up stuck or in foreclosure because they just couldn't keep up with rising mortgage rates.
In this case it was medical bills, wife had breast cancer, insurance didn't cover the bills. Very sad... kids lost their mother, then the house they were raised in. She'll be gone 3 years the end of this month; it would be nice to see a sale for her 3 year anniversary. I hope it will get sold so that the father can move on without this hanging over his head.

Anyway, there's a lot of people down here from North / Central Jersey. I'm originally from Union / Somerset counties, I was shocked to see someone from my high school down here. People come down here because it's affordable.

Old 01-04-2008, 06:42 PM

2,689 posts, read 3,966,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momof4littleones View Post
they took a gamble by trying to make a score on real estate and lost, I have very little sympathy for house flippers who got caught, it was house flippers who drove housing costs up

Old 01-05-2008, 06:25 AM

I have little sympathy for those people, and totally agree about flippers driving housing costs up.

I do have my eye on an abandoned house in a town I adore. Its just a matter of timing now. Say a prayer that all works out!

Old 01-05-2008, 06:53 AM

100 posts, read 420,721 times
My income is higher than yours (not by much) and I am selling my home cause I cannot afford it. I owe 220k. If you qual for a 139K mortgage, with 70K down, thats great but not many homes are in the 200K range. Go onto gsmls.com and search by county in that price range. That should help. Also, take into account the taxes you will pay monthly. My taxes are "cheap" (4800) and thats $400 more a month.
Good thing for buyers is house prices are down. Bad thing for us sellers are prices are down! I am selling and leaving NJ as its hard to survive here!

OH and I have an ARM, 4.875, which goes up to whatever the going rate is in 2009. Dont get an ARM. Another reason I am selling, before it goes up and my payment gets even higher!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey