Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-15-2008, 12:31 AM

3 posts, read 23,732 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I am relocating to northern NJ and will be working in franklin lakes. I am not famililar with NJ cities and towns.

Please suggest which city or town will be suitable for me to stay. I am looking for staying in two bed apartment. cities with asian indian community and good school district will be ideal.

I prefer to commute less distance like max 15-20 miles.

I did researched and found glen rock, fair lawns, ridgewood, waldwick, parsippany seems to be good choice for me to stay and commute to franklin lakes.

your valuable suggestions are appreciated.

thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2008, 05:36 AM

46 posts, read 175,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netjunx View Post
Hi,

Please suggest which city or town will be suitable for me to stay. I am looking for staying in two bed apartment. cities with asian indian community and good school district will be ideal.

thanks in advance.

What is your price range?

Old 02-15-2008, 07:51 AM

7,577 posts, read 22,607,487 times
I would recommend Parsippany - huge Asian Indian Population and easy access to Rt. 287 North plus you'll be going against rush hour traffic. Also there are tons of apartment complexes for you to choose from.

Old 02-15-2008, 08:29 AM

370 posts, read 1,370,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wileynj View Post
I would recommend Parsippany - huge Asian Indian Population and easy access to Rt. 287 North plus you'll be going against rush hour traffic. Also there are tons of apartment complexes for you to choose from.
Parsippany is a great choice. As the poster above said it fits most of what you are looking for.
Coming from the Other side is Fort Lee which has a very large Asian population and it is close to Route 4 which you can take straight to 208 to get to Franklin Lakes.

The towns you mentioned (glen rock, fair lawns, ridgewood, waldwick) are nice as well and located very close to where you will be working.

Old 02-15-2008, 06:00 PM

20 posts, read 140,571 times
ridgewood is a very nice town. great people. very preppy and kind of waspy. the schools are excellent, but terribly overcrowded. charming older homes like tudors on small lots mixed with beautifully restored older but very gracious homes. it is a community based family town. we live in a neighboring town and frequent all the restraunts in ridgewood, kids activities etc..

waldwick is more of a working town. nice people but the schools don't compare to any of the neighboring towns. Ramsey has a good reputation of people, and sense of community. the schools are good but not as acclaimed as some of the other towns. Allendale has a good reputation. similar to ramsey but a little more upscale. the people in ramsey are known to be very down to earth and friendly. Allendale also. I'd don't hear much terrific news about mahwah, but it is beautiful. haven't heard anything bad either about mahwah.

Upper saddle river is beautiful but very pretentious. the need to keep up with the jones is paramount in that town. Great schools - they join high schools with allendale, ho-ho-kus and saddle river has a choice to go there as well. Ho-ho-kus is my personal favorite. The landscape is beautiful. the town has a nice reputation, but is very very tiny. It has a great location near ridgewood, woodcliff lake (which has tices corner for shopping).

montvale shares high school with woodcliff lakel. Many people have great things to say about montvale. very family oriented, upper middle class town with good sense of community. woodcliff lake is a nice town also, a strong jewish community if you are looking for that.

good luck.

Old 02-17-2008, 12:14 AM

3 posts, read 23,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wileynj View Post
Thx for your suggestion. I am planning to look in parsippany.

Do you have any idea what are the best apartment communities to live in. i am looking at the range of 1200-1500$.

I did look at some of the websites for apartments... I need first hand information from the forum users before making any decision.

Old 02-17-2008, 10:10 AM

4 posts, read 20,253 times
You should check out Hawthorne, a few miles from Franklin Lakes. Wayne is nice as well

good luck

Old 02-17-2008, 10:34 AM

7,577 posts, read 22,607,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netjunx View Post
Thx for your suggestion. I am planning to look in parsippany.

Do you have any idea what are the best apartment communities to live in. i am looking at the range of 1200-1500$.

I did look at some of the websites for apartments... I need first hand information from the forum users before making any decision.
I'm not real familiar with the actually apt. complexes - I just know there's a lot of them! In your price range, you may be able to even afford a house rental in the Lake Hiawatha section - less conjested that the areas where the apt. complexs are. Have you tried uploading some of the local newspapers for that area? Daily Record for Morris County..Start Ledger... might be a good idea. In the meantime, I'll see what I can find out about the various complexes.

Old 02-17-2008, 12:37 PM

3,269 posts, read 9,935,547 times
There are a couple of apt complexes on Littleton Road and 202. One has been converted to a condo, so you would have to rent directly from an owner. I think it's called Cambridge Heights or something like that. This is one of the best kept up Condo / Apt complexes around. Try to stay near rt 46 and don't go down by rt 10 (Mountain Club) as that will add 10 mins to your commute. Personally I would avoid the complexes down Beverwyck road. There is also a huge complex on Rt 46 called Troy Hills that gets mixed reviews, with most of the bad comments being about management. I looked at an apt there once about 5 years ago when my cousin was looking to move here. The apts looked fine to me and reasonably priced. My cousin didn't end up moving, so I can't comment on them more than that.
Best of luck.

Old 02-17-2008, 04:47 PM

3,269 posts, read 9,935,547 times
OK I was just out picking up yummy Indian take-out and I drove past two of the complexes you should look at. They are called Troy Gardens on Littleton Road and Tivoli Gardens on rt. 202.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey