Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2015, 05:05 PM

2,761 posts, read 3,427,851 times

Advertisements

New Brunswick to Manhattan commute is not something people look forward to. Trains don't get stuck in traffic like buses do so Milburn, South orange, Montclair have an easy Manhattan commute and a bar scene with nice restaurants and bars...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2015, 07:21 PM

4,940 posts, read 12,146,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DPolo View Post
New Brunswick to Manhattan commute is not something people look forward to. Trains don't get stuck in traffic like buses do so Milburn, South orange, Montclair have an easy Manhattan commute and a bar scene with nice restaurants and bars...
You are obviously not familiar with New Brunswick. There is a train station in downtown New Brunswick. It's a 45-minute train ride into NYC. The train ride from Millburn, South Orange, and Montclair is also at least 45 minutes. Besides, the OP said he will be working in Piscataway. Why would anyone live in those Essex County towns to commute to Piscataway?

Old 01-18-2015, 08:42 PM

12,101 posts, read 17,095,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beekin View Post
I got a job in Piscataway NJ and am looking for somewhere to live that is lively, walkable, not too congested, fairly safe. or at least, i wanna live a short drive away from this mystical place, if it's too expensive. Somewhere I can meet people my age.

This is what i've gotten so far, and what I think (misconceptions?):
-Hoboken (would be nice except for my commute, the congestion and rent prices, lord!)
-New Brunswick (seems good in all respects, except it's a bit far from manhattan)
-Roselle Park (perfect location, but the town seems way too rural/suburban)

What do you think of these places? Is there anywhere else that I'm not considering?
Jersey City would be doable.

The commute to Piscataway wouldn't be the worst, but not the best either.

It depends what you put more stock in, being closer to the city on the weekends or being closer to work during the week?

Old 01-19-2015, 08:05 AM

5 posts, read 4,418 times
Hello!

I'm not sure if I should just start a new thread for this question but here goes. I have been looking in New Brunswick for the past few days and the Raritan neighbourhood seems to have the best rent prices, does anyone know if it would be better for someone my age if I get deeper into the city (for walkability and meeting people)? or is that area close enough?

Old 01-19-2015, 08:59 AM

4,940 posts, read 12,146,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beekin View Post
Hello!

I'm not sure if I should just start a new thread for this question but here goes. I have been looking in New Brunswick for the past few days and the Raritan neighbourhood seems to have the best rent prices, does anyone know if it would be better for someone my age if I get deeper into the city (for walkability and meeting people)? or is that area close enough?
What exactly is the 'Raritan' area? What are some of the street names? Honestly much of New Brunswick outside of the downtown/Rutgers areas is very crime ridden.

Old 01-19-2015, 12:13 PM

5 posts, read 4,418 times
This area to the north and north east of Rutgers, pennington ave, Tunison rd, mostly surrounded by river and then Rutgers.

Also, living near NYC is the least important thing. Not a priority, just an added bonus if possible. Where would you consider the crime ridden areas (so I can try to not live there)?

Last edited by beekin; 01-19-2015 at 12:25 PM..

Old 01-19-2015, 01:39 PM

800 posts, read 1,297,360 times
theres no beating living as close to work as possible. new brunswick to piscattaway, you can probably walk some days (or use a rutgers bus). the train to NYC on the times you hang out with friends is an easy no transfer commute that takes about an hour on average. if you live in New brunswick and are close enough to the train that you dont even have to worry about parking. that said, parking isnt too bad either a few days a month. if you look at a map of the rutgers campus' you want to live basically in the college ave area from landing lane to new street and maybe a mile at most from the river. look at a map and it will make sense, outside that area it gets gritty. or avoid that all with highland park as well, just on the other side of the river.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey