Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-14-2016, 09:33 PM

23 posts, read 45,166 times

Advertisements

Hello. So, I work in Jersey City and currently make $15 an hour base. I need to live very close to my job, because I work on-call with 2 hours notice. Unfortunately, I can't really afford anything nice in JC. I want to live in a visually appealing area, with attractive people and that has lots of restaurants and cafes. Hoboken is crazy expensive! What's in my budget ($800-1200) is in a bad area. This is really frustrating. Maybe I'm being too picky. Thanks for any tips.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2016, 09:41 PM

53 posts, read 107,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blm650 View Post
Hello. So, I work in Jersey City and currently make $15 an hour base. I need to live very close to my job, because I work on-call with 2 hours notice. Unfortunately, I can't really afford anything nice in JC. I want to live in a visually appealing area, with attractive people and that has lots of restaurants and cafes. Hoboken is crazy expensive! What's in my budget ($800-1200) is in a bad area. This is really frustrating. Maybe I'm being too picky. Thanks for any tips.
$1000 shall get u a okay place in Bayonne.
From there you can take the bus (if u live on west side of bayonne ) or light rail (east side) to JC

forgot to mention, $1000 will be enough for you to get a bedroom of those 2bd or 3bd apartments from the luxury rental buildings in downtown JC -- 90% ppl there are young working professionals commute to NYC w/ PATH who can't afford the entire apartment but share rooms with others.

same for room sharing, $1k is good for a decent bedroom from those illegal rentals in the town houses at Grove ST (usually Asian landlords). Comparing with the boring downtown JC, Grove ST has great restaurants and bars and night life.

another choice is journal square, when I lived there several years ago I was able to find a decent 1 bedroom apartment blocks away from PATH for $975 -- the rent raised to $1100 at the time I moved out tho

Last edited by kagamine; 03-14-2016 at 09:52 PM..

Old 03-15-2016, 10:25 AM

462 posts, read 550,162 times
I recommend getting a roommate, rents are very high in that area and on $15 an hour I'm afraid you simply can't afford it.

Old 03-16-2016, 12:55 PM

1,977 posts, read 7,755,928 times
If you have a car you could look just about anywhere along Rt1 south of Newark. Elizabeth, Linden, Avenel, Woodbridge, Fords, even Edison is only 45 min away. The closer you get to Edison, the harder it will be to find something affordable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey