Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2015, 05:43 PM

16 posts, read 24,550 times

Advertisements

Hello - new to the area and would like to find a nice suburban town (good schools) that is west of NYC (northern NJ) accessible to Manhattan by train, so the commute is no more than an hour. I've found some nice towns like Kenilworth, South Plainfield, etc. - but I would like to find something more north. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2015, 07:14 PM

88,586 posts, read 84,818,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony2905 View Post
Hello - new to the area and would like to find a nice suburban town (good schools) that is west of NYC (northern NJ) accessible to Manhattan by train, so the commute is no more than an hour. I've found some nice towns like Kenilworth, South Plainfield, etc. - but I would like to find something more north. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.
There's a sticky at the top of the page with questions for people looking to move to New Jersey. One of the most important of those questions is your budget.

Old 02-01-2015, 07:25 PM

15,074 posts, read 10,105,001 times
Towns west or just at 287 along the Morristown or Montclair-Boonton lines would be my preference.

http://www.njtransit.com/pdf/rail/Rail_System_Map.pdf

It will be a little bit longer than 1 hour but on a train its not that bad. You need to post details before anyone really could talk specifics.

Old 02-01-2015, 07:37 PM

Okay, here's some more info, I'm moving from CT for a new position that's near Bound Brook, however my GF works in Manhattan so it needs to be under an hour for both of us to commute. I would prefer to be closer to Manhattan (more north in NJ) than Bound Brook.

My budget is $up to $350,000, single family house. Specifically what's important to me about the town I would like to live in; nice suburban town, good people, low crime.

I'm really looking for feedback and recommendations on towns more north in the state. But if it's accessible to the train station, I'll likely look at it.

PS - anyone know why there are 100+ foreclosures in South Plainfield - what the hell happened there? Thanks again for taking the time to respond to my post. It helps tremendously when you're unfamiliar with the area.

Old 02-01-2015, 09:13 PM

166 posts, read 240,922 times
You may want to look at some neighborhoods or Morris Township or Morris Plains. Both have easy access to NJ Transit. Be aware you will have a lot of competition from other buyers in that price range. Any further east along the train line is much more expensive. You could look even a little further west such as Denville.

Old 02-01-2015, 10:05 PM

175 posts, read 345,590 times
Clark NJ. Nice quiet little town. Near Rahway train and shopping in Westfield and Woodbridge.

Old 02-01-2015, 10:16 PM

Thanks for your replies, I will look into those areas. Much appreciated!

Old 02-02-2015, 05:01 AM

4,073 posts, read 8,981,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h_scott View Post
You may want to look at some neighborhoods or Morris Township or Morris Plains. Both have easy access to NJ Transit. Be aware you will have a lot of competition from other buyers in that price range. Any further east along the train line is much more expensive. You could look even a little further west such as Denville.
These are nice towns. But be aware that the train ride is 60-70 minutes. Depending on Manhattan location, can easily add 10-15 minutes to the commute. And also depending on how close you are to train, that can add at least 10 minutes. So total commute quickly climbs closer to 90+ minutes. Lots of people do it, but just need to be realistic of expectations.

Old 02-02-2015, 06:06 AM

Thanks again. This town is more south but at first glance it seemed to have some potential. If anyone has any general feedback on Kenilworth, let me know. Taxes seemed reasonable and seemed like a pretty nice town when we were there this weekend.

Old 02-02-2015, 08:55 AM

3,984 posts, read 7,077,463 times
Somerset has plenty of housing options & is 10 mins to the New Brunswick train station. For you it's 10 mins to Bound Brook. Schools are just OK but you didn't mention schools.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey