Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2015, 06:36 AM

3,984 posts, read 7,085,406 times

Advertisements

You have to laugh when you hear some Americans say immigrants come here for the benes. We all know how expensive it is to live in NJ & NY. These people work 2-3 jobs just to make ends meet.

That chef Anthony Bourdain said he'd take an Ecuadorian cook or Mexican busboy anytime. Because unlike the entitled American 20-something, these immigrants work like their life depends on it. They're not going off to the Hamptons every weekend when it's busy or calling in sick to go watch a movie.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2015, 07:13 AM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,409,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom1944 View Post
I have several friends that own contracting businesses and they tell me the immigrants are great workers. They tell me they love immigration not because they pay lower wages (they do not) but because they are dependable hard workers.
BS on the lower wages part. I was a NJ contractor for 30 years and never hired an immigrant worker and in the end I was forced to close up because I could not compete with those competitors hiring immigrants.

At the time (80-90's) Americans were costing me $30 hr in wages and benefits and immigrants were costing $10 hr or less to my competitors.(no benefits)

Do the math.

Yes on the immigrants being good workers but I am a buy American, use American labor type of guy.

IMO 90% of today's construction co's are using immigrants and illegals because they are cheaper but those workers cannot live a middle class lifestyle on the poor wages they are getting.

All my employees enjoyed a middle class lifestyle which my competitors employees did not.

Old 03-31-2015, 07:50 AM

2,257 posts, read 5,193,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EBWick View Post
...Because unlike the entitled American 20-something, these immigrants work like their life depends on it. They're not going off to the Hamptons every weekend when it's busy or calling in sick to go watch a movie.
Immigrants in most cases are more sincere and hard working. They have left their country and family and given up everything they know/own to move to another part of the world for a better life. They tend to be serious about their objectives and work towards a goal. However, this changes over a generation or two. The values are less prevalent in their next generation and almost none in the one after as they get polluted with the entitlement mentality.

Old 03-31-2015, 07:54 AM

3,305 posts, read 3,877,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doc1 View Post
And the Irish and Italians did quite well for themselves without any social safety nets.
Sure, Americans at the time treated them really well. It was a real cakewalk.

Anti-Irish sentiment - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Anti-Italianism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 03-31-2015, 08:13 AM

19,154 posts, read 25,385,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doc1 View Post
And the Irish and Italians did quite well for themselves without any social safety nets.

It always amazes me that so many Americans know so little about the sometimes shameful history of their own country.
I think that most immigrants during the 19th Century would have disagreed with your assessment, in light of the strength of
The Know-Nothing Party and The American Party and their violent opposition to immigrants during that period.

Know Nothing - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 03-31-2015, 08:39 AM

1,278 posts, read 1,250,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jp54321 View Post
Immigrants filling the void as residents flee N.J. by the tens of thousands (Interactive Map) | NJ.com

What do you think of this development? Have you seen this happening?
North Jersey has been about immigrants for a long time, mostly ethnic europeans in the last 50 years and now new ethnic groups. It's the same thing now, just different faces. What I mean is, any immigrant group, regardless of race has always created enclaved culture in NJ doing their own thing by their own culture, and this includes the ethnic european white immigrants of the past century. The state no longer has a unified identity anymore.

Old 04-01-2015, 11:34 PM

20,351 posts, read 19,962,643 times
Quote:
Sure, Americans at the time treated them really well. It was a real cakewalk.

Anti-Irish sentiment - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Anti-Italianism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
It always amazes me that so many Americans know so little about the sometimes shameful history of their own country.
I think that most immigrants during the 19th Century would have disagreed with your assessment, in light of the strength of
The Know-Nothing Party and The American Party and their violent opposition to immigrants during that period.

Know Nothing - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I guess I didn't make my point clear.

I'm well aware of what the Irish went through. And in spite of the hardships, discrimination and lack of handouts they they not only made it, they ended up running cities and occupying the White House in 1964.

Old 04-01-2015, 11:51 PM

1,493 posts, read 1,525,051 times
I see this influx in Cumberland County. Most do not seen speak english. Nearly got run over outside a supermarket at Christmas time, obvious the girl did not know it was the law to stop for pedestrians.

Old 04-03-2015, 08:18 AM

323 posts, read 562,680 times
im amazed that they can afford nj!

but being that nj is one of the most racially and ethnically diverse places in the world, i love the new cultures immigration brings to our state. it's the diversity that keeps me here.

Old 04-03-2015, 01:24 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,748,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveMyself View Post
im amazed that they can afford nj!

but being that nj is one of the most racially and ethnically diverse places in the world, i love the new cultures immigration brings to our state. it's the diversity that keeps me here.
I've seen several NJ towns transforming into small ethnic hubs. In the long run it means more and more immigrants will be flocking over to these areas like Elizabeth which has a large Hispanic community.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey