Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2008, 07:45 PM

12,200 posts, read 18,376,564 times

Advertisements

Well, personally I think programs like section 8 are overall more harmful then helpful.

My personal experience with 4C -
When i had my son, I had to move off campus and get my own apartment. I was working 40 hours a week at the Marriott selling timeshare. Now the problem with this was that my checks were based on commission, which meant I never had a consistent paycheck. All I was guaranteed was my $8 hourly.

So when I went apt hunting they asked for my last 4 check stubs - and unfortunately for me they were all big commission checks - so I my "projected" income was to high for me to qualify for low-income housing, which isn't govt housing, just complexes with income restrictions. But the other apt were $900 & up monthly: I couldn't see paying that much for rent when my checks weren't consistent What happens if someone cancels their timeshare and they take $300 - $400 out of my check? I'm screwed.

So I applied for Section 8 - got a nice 2 bedroom duplex. My share of the rent was 40%. That allowed me to pay my bills and save money, and when my contract was up, I stayed in the same duplex and paid the other 60%. (Of course by then, I 'd graduated and had a better paying job) So long story short, section 8 really helped me.

Now my issues with it - when I went to apply there was really no system. They give you all this paperwork to fill out but it doesn't really amount to anything. They said okay you make X amount of money & you have X amount of children = equals you expected contribution. Here's your voucher. Now that was fine for me but it doesn't work for people who either don't work or have multiple children.

They give you allowance for food & utilities, which means if your expected contribution is 60% they factor that in and your % drops down 10-15 points. But the majority of people on section 8 were also receiving food stamps, discount phone services, utility assistance, daycare assistance, cash assistance - so they really didn't need a deduction.

I also had an issue with people getting more house than needed. Yeah, everyone deserves a certain quality of life but if you're on Section 8 do you really need to live in a 4 bedroom house with a garage and a fenced backyard? I have a girlfriend with twin boys under the age of 7 and she lives in a house that is renting for $1,800 a month (which is a lot in FL) but she only pays $610 of that. She works full time as a school bus driver and she gets child support for her boys. But she was paying a lower percentage then I me, even though her income is more than mine and her rent was higher than mine because she has 2 kids.

She could have gotten something $800 cheaper & that same $800 could have went to someone else.
The problem I have with section 8 is that they use this blanket form of dolling out the benefits without evaluating each case because I know more people on section 8 tend to use it like my friend and take more than their share of the benefits instead of using it as a temporary relief.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2008, 07:51 PM

12,200 posts, read 18,376,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neekah18 View Post
Oh and also on the first of the month they will have grocery carts full of food and a ton of junk food, while I am clipping coupons and trying to find sales.
Um wait a minute Neekah
~ I am a proud food stamp recipient and I do not fill my basket with junk foods. I make sure I always purchase several steaks, pounds of shrimp, salmon and lobster each time I go to the grocery store.

Old 01-19-2008, 07:54 PM

28 posts, read 103,561 times
Why wouldn't it be? We have alot of homelessness in America. Section 8 allows people to find individual rentals in places that may be nicer than they could otherwise afford. Generally, people want a more peaceful neighborhood, they are looking for peace like anyone else. If you want to be on section 8 you have to undergo something of a background check and rental history. If you break the law while on the premises of your section 8 rental, you are out. It is a way to help eliminate homelessness and to help people raise themselves up. I see no downside. The human animal needs a shelter, can't function without its own space. People who are homeless become mentally disturbed. I think having a home should be a given.
luchia

Old 01-19-2008, 08:18 PM

3 posts, read 9,652 times
Default To ylc99999

Sir,

I was going to perhaps make a rude comment about your use of the english language. However, I see you are likely an immigrant. Many people have a low opinion of immigrants yet typically 1st generation immigrants are the most ingenuous. You have contributed very positively to our society and serve as an example to those you affect. Thank you,

America-Legal or Illegal who cares just learn a little and work you will be fine. I hear people cry immigrants are taking the jobs hmmm, They must dress really well for the interview. I mean think about it...no english reading or writing.

ylc99999- I rate you as positive you are doing something.

Old 01-19-2008, 08:27 PM

3 posts, read 9,652 times
Default To ylc99999

Sir,

I was going to perhaps make a rude comment about your use of the english language. However, I see you are likely an immigrant. Many people have a low opinion of immigrants yet typically 1st generation immigrants are the most ingenuous. You have contributed very positively to our society and serve as an example to those you affect. Thank you,

America-Legal or Illegal who cares just learn a little and work you will be fine. I hear people cry immigrants are taking the jobs hmmm, They must dress really well for the interview. I mean think about it...no english reading or writing.

Old 01-20-2008, 06:55 AM

41 posts, read 150,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by acehighnoon76 View Post
Sir,

I have a very strong opinion on that whole "immigrants are taking the jobs..." issue. The bottom line is that the immigrants are taking the jobs that most Americans that I know of would not condescend to perform, and then they have the gall to complain about immigrants. The reality is that our country would be disgusting without the invaluable services performed by many immigrants.

How many of us are first or second generation Americans? How many of us have grandparents or great-grand parents that have come to America seeking a better life for themselves and their families?

Old 01-20-2008, 09:57 AM

625 posts, read 3,635,815 times
Unhappy Didn't want to respond but I got suckered into it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ylc99999 View Post
Yes, I know many section 8 families eventually succeed because I helped them. However, it is very difficult to help because the society is full of "discrimination" like you. I am not trying to blame them or you, it is just that you do not understand the situation.
If you want more real cases, I can share with you more, but I believe, for anyone to learn more about section 8 is to help family directly, then, you will understand the whole thing, not just "guessing" or listen to some people who did "guessing".

I have read a few of your indistinguishable rants and I can only tell you that I speak from what I know and have seen just as you do. I stand by what I said about some people who receive aid like Section 8, food stamps, cash assistance. When I and others that I know go to the supermarket we are very mindful of what we can and can't afford but yet you see people who will quickly whip out a WIC card or WIC check and pay for a boatload of groceries. I know working people who have 4 children and they have not once received assistance and when they go grocery shopping they buy what they need and can afford and go. They struggle to maintain a home and cars. They work average jobs and neither went to college. How do you figure they didn't jump on Section 8 or any other welfare program??? BECAUSE THEY CHOSE TO WORK and actually have jobs before they decided to have children they couldn't afford.
Yes there may be some people who receive Section 8 who are working to better themselves and their families but for that one there are several who are not. They don't have husbands in the home but they have boyfriends and baby daddies who stay there so often they should split the rent. I don't "discriminate" against Section 8 people or welfare recipients because I have nothing to discriminate them from. Yes there are some landlords who discriminate against Section 8 people because they don't want damage to be done to their homes (as much as you may not want to believe, alot of Section 8 houses are abused and littered with trash).
Yes taking care of children is a job but YOU decided to have those children. Last time I checked abortion, adoption, birth control, and condoms were not outlawed. If you can afford to become a stay at home mom then go for it because it will be much cheaper than paying for day care, but don't cry about it when someone says something negative about it. I work at a company where there are several women pregnant. They go out on maternity leave and then come back to work. If they earn more than their husbands then the husband may stay at home with the children OR they have a family member babysit. There are alternatives. Also in regards to the comment about homeless families, yes I know their are homeless families and forgive me if I am not the first one to bust out my wallet for the grown men and women I see who stand in front of fast food places ALL DAY begging for change. My thoughts on that is if you have enough stamina to stand up all day and beg you should have that same stamina to go to the Salvation Army, get cleaned up and get some clean clothes to go fill out an application. The children are the innocent victims but honestly in all of my 27 years I have never seen a homeless child. They may be taken into foster care or a group home and I am sure if the selfish homeless parents did that then everything would be fine. The problem is if society wants to take care of the child they also have to take care of the parents (look at the current situation with NJFamily Care the president doesn't mind covering the children for healthcare he just doesn't want to foot the bill for the able bodied parents).
Section 8 is FOR LIFE you can actually move from state to state with that voucher. They call people for re-evaluations but in reality these people will never earn more than they have to in order to stay in the program. And you know what they may work and pay taxes but you know what they also get EIC every tax season for every qualifying child. That is an automatic $2k+ and the fact is that many don't contribute anywhere near that much in taxes per year. The fact of the matter is if you want to do better you will and you can, if you don't and are content in getting government assistance then you won't do better and the sad fact is your kids have a strong chance of continuing that cycle.

Old 01-20-2008, 10:07 AM

625 posts, read 3,635,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by acehighnoon76 View Post
Sir,

It's not that they dress well, the problem is people and companies take advantage of the fact that they are illegal and they may not speak english. I have worked for companies where the cleaning people could barely speak or understand english. There are also contractors who hire immigrants for cheap labor and work have them work 12+ hour days. They hire them because they don't expect as much as Americans and they are content just having a job. They take advantage of them and the problem is that they get away with it. There are plenty of Americans who want the contracting jobs and cleaning positions but we know the labor laws and won't take the bull they want to dish out.

Old 01-20-2008, 10:13 AM

9 posts, read 24,346 times
Post Please Can Somebody Tell Me Where Section 8 Is???

THE SECTION 8 LIST HAS BEEN CLOSED FOR SOMETIME NOW WE NEED SECTION 8 TO HELP THE FAMILIES THAT ARE TRYING TO HELP THEIR SELVES. I UNDERSTAND THERE ARE PEOPLE WHO DEPEND ON THE GOVERMENT BUT THERE ARE SOME WHO JUST NEED A LITTLE HELP LIKE ME AND MY KIDS. NEW JERSEY IS EXPENSIVE AS HELL WHEN IT COMES TO RENT

Old 01-20-2008, 11:57 AM

5,818 posts, read 12,626,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neekah18 View Post
I have read a few of your indistinguishable rants and I can only tell you that I speak from what I know and have seen just as you do. I stand by what I said about some people who receive aid like Section 8, food stamps, cash assistance. When I and others that I know go to the supermarket we are very mindful of what we can and can't afford but yet you see people who will quickly whip out a WIC card or WIC check and pay for a boatload of groceries. I know working people who have 4 children and they have not once received assistance and when they go grocery shopping they buy what they need and can afford and go. They struggle to maintain a home and cars. They work average jobs and neither went to college. How do you figure they didn't jump on Section 8 or any other welfare program??? BECAUSE THEY CHOSE TO WORK and actually have jobs before they decided to have children they couldn't afford.
Yes there may be some people who receive Section 8 who are working to better themselves and their families but for that one there are several who are not. They don't have husbands in the home but they have boyfriends and baby daddies who stay there so often they should split the rent. I don't "discriminate" against Section 8 people or welfare recipients because I have nothing to discriminate them from. Yes there are some landlords who discriminate against Section 8 people because they don't want damage to be done to their homes (as much as you may not want to believe, alot of Section 8 houses are abused and littered with trash).
Yes taking care of children is a job but YOU decided to have those children. Last time I checked abortion, adoption, birth control, and condoms were not outlawed. If you can afford to become a stay at home mom then go for it because it will be much cheaper than paying for day care, but don't cry about it when someone says something negative about it. I work at a company where there are several women pregnant. They go out on maternity leave and then come back to work. If they earn more than their husbands then the husband may stay at home with the children OR they have a family member babysit. There are alternatives. Also in regards to the comment about homeless families, yes I know their are homeless families and forgive me if I am not the first one to bust out my wallet for the grown men and women I see who stand in front of fast food places ALL DAY begging for change. My thoughts on that is if you have enough stamina to stand up all day and beg you should have that same stamina to go to the Salvation Army, get cleaned up and get some clean clothes to go fill out an application. The children are the innocent victims but honestly in all of my 27 years I have never seen a homeless child. They may be taken into foster care or a group home and I am sure if the selfish homeless parents did that then everything would be fine. The problem is if society wants to take care of the child they also have to take care of the parents (look at the current situation with NJFamily Care the president doesn't mind covering the children for healthcare he just doesn't want to foot the bill for the able bodied parents).
Section 8 is FOR LIFE you can actually move from state to state with that voucher. They call people for re-evaluations but in reality these people will never earn more than they have to in order to stay in the program. And you know what they may work and pay taxes but you know what they also get EIC every tax season for every qualifying child. That is an automatic $2k+ and the fact is that many don't contribute anywhere near that much in taxes per year. The fact of the matter is if you want to do better you will and you can, if you don't and are content in getting government assistance then you won't do better and the sad fact is your kids have a strong chance of continuing that cycle.
Very well said Neekah, I wish I could give you 20 points rep for that statement. Rep for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey