Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2008, 10:33 PM

2,689 posts, read 3,966,413 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brittalia View Post
Mendham has been recommended to me by friends as well. I don't know what the commute is exactly to Hoboken.

I've also been told to check out Colts Neck, Holmdel,Rumson, Little Silver. Anyone have any info on these? Never been there and know nothing about them. I will plan a driving tour in the next weekend or two if possible.
all very nice places, bring $$$
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2008, 09:35 AM

22 posts, read 113,451 times
Summit/Millburn is a good option, it's within an hour of NYC and schools are excellent. But an acre is probably going to cost more than $1.5m. Livingston, South Orange are other options.

Old 01-17-2008, 10:16 AM

6,175 posts, read 12,939,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brittalia View Post
Where do commuters to downtown NYC live?

To be more specific, where do commuters
1. with young children
2. that want an acre or possibly much more than an acre of property
3. with great schools
4. and fresh air
live?

Does this exist anywhere within 1 hour and 15 minutes of downtown NY for less than $1.5??
Yes, it does. In northern Somerset County, in the towns of Bridgewater, Basking Ridge, Warren, Bedminster, Bernardsville, and Watchung, there are currently a total of 165 properties for sale with prices of $1.5 mil or less, all listed as having an acre of land or more. These are all great towns, with excellent, well respected school systems, parks & recreations faciilities for you & the kids, and reasonable commutes to downtown NYC, either by car or public transportation, (I used to do the commute daily, my wife still does). Note that in certain neighborhoods in these towns, you might end up slightly over an hour & 15 mins, but it'll be close.
Of course, being a real estate agent, and a Realtor, in the area, I'd be happy to help you narrow it down a bit more. If you'd rather just see the list of all 165, let me know.

Last edited by Bill Keegan; 01-17-2008 at 10:16 AM.. Reason: typo

Old 01-17-2008, 10:19 AM

7,055 posts, read 19,312,201 times
I have a co-worker who lives in Mountain Lakes. He has a little over an acre and an OK house (he is doing a TON of work to it) for well under a million. There are bus services (Lakeland Bus Co.) to the Port Authority Terminal and Wall Street. He gets off the Wall Street bus at 33rd and 5th, and his trip is almost exactly 1 hour.

Old 01-17-2008, 10:49 AM

687 posts, read 3,251,852 times
Quote:
I've also been told to check out Colts Neck, Holmdel,Rumson, Little Silver. Anyone have any info on these? Never been there and know nothing about them. I will plan a driving tour in the next weekend or two if possible.
We currently live in Colts Neck, and it is lovely. My husband commutes to the city from the Aberdeen-Matawan train station, and it is doable, but not for everyone. Based on my experience, the houses generally have very large lots. We're doing a short term rental here, and this house is on 12 acres. There are homes in your range, and I posted a few to give you an idea of what you could buy in Colts Neck:

Single Family Home - COLTS NECK, NJ, 07722 - Realtor.com

Old 01-18-2008, 10:32 AM

26 posts, read 86,474 times
Just wanted to thank you for the very helpful replies!!! They've been great.

Old 01-21-2008, 08:36 PM

26 posts, read 86,474 times
We have driven around Somerset and Morris county recently - thought the towns were great (Mendham, Peapack, Bernardsville, etc.) and seems that you can get a couple of acres fairly easily. The commute to Hoboken from Gladstone is over an hour. Probably 1.5 hours door-to-door.
Subsequently, we found that the commute from the Princeton area is faster. We will go drive around and see what's there - but can anyone tell me if you can find comparable properties with the acreage and good schools in this area?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey