Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2015, 08:37 PM

2,734 posts, read 4,151,448 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Docendo discimus View Post
People don't call it JERSEY out of ignorance, they call it JERSEY out of affection. It's a nickname, that's all.
Maybe New York and New Hampshire aren't regarded as affectionately by its inhabitants.

James Taylor never once refers to it as NORTH CAROLINA in 'Carolina in My Mind', when he sings lovingly and longingly about CAROLINA. Same concept. I'm pretty sure he knows the state's formal name is NORTH CAROLINA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2015, 01:52 AM

18,323 posts, read 10,668,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Docendo discimus View Post
People don't call it JERSEY out of ignorance, they call it JERSEY out of affection. It's a nickname, that's all.
Maybe New York and New Hampshire aren't regarded as affectionately by its inhabitants.

James Taylor never once refers to it as NORTH CAROLINA in 'Carolina in My Mind', when he sings lovingly and longingly about CAROLINA. Same concept. I'm pretty sure he knows the state's formal name is NORTH CAROLINA.
I don't care what James Taylor does ,people love New York to but they don't call it York.no.

Old 04-17-2015, 05:27 AM

88,586 posts, read 84,818,250 times
But people DO call our home state "Jersey". Same as the channel island for which it's named. Live with it.

Old 04-17-2015, 05:16 PM

18,323 posts, read 10,668,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
But people DO call our home state "Jersey". Same as the channel island for which it's named. Live with it.

If you don't have enough pride to correct them it's on you but then again I gues you think the TV show the "Jersey Shore " was good television .

Old 04-17-2015, 10:50 PM

32,940 posts, read 36,369,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G1.. View Post
If you don't have enough pride to correct them it's on you but then again I gues you think the TV show the "Jersey Shore " was good television .
I have Jersey pride... and I wasn't even born there. My family used to vacation at the Jersey shore. I was allowed to live there for a while.

I'm not going to correct someone who refers to the state as Jersey. I'm not rude and it's not my place.

Old 04-18-2015, 05:34 AM

Quote:
Your logic escapes me. How the hell did you make such a leap? Never saw the show.

Stop hitting yourself. It's gonna leave a mark.

Old 04-18-2015, 06:48 AM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,391,312 times
So when the locals ask me where I am from it's not Jersey or Joisey, it's New Jersey.

Contrary to popular belief not everybody who leaves NJ, hates NJ.

Old 04-18-2015, 01:54 PM

2,160 posts, read 4,966,421 times
Quote:
people love New York to but they don't call it York.no.
This sparks an interesting topic.

The state of New York is hugely segmented...hugely diverse, both geographically and culturally.

People in New York tend to affiliate very strongly with a REGIONAL identity more than a STATE identity.

People don't love 'NEW YORK'. They love their specific little niche, or corner, or hidey-hole in New York.

NEW JERSEY (there...are you happy?) is much smaller and tighter knit, so it's kind of the opposite situation here. People in NJ primarily affiliate very strongly with a state identity, rather than a regional identity. Our residents, even as we have our own regional diversity and differences (North Jersey vs. South Jersey; city vs. suburbs vs. the shore vs. the boonies and the pine barrens), all still identify strongly with being from NEW JERSEY, whether they're from Cape May, Camden, Princeton, Hoboken, or Hackettstown.

A person from Manhattan, a person from Long Island, a person from Scarsdale, a person from Ithaca, a person from Saranac...'NEW YORK' means different things to all of them.

Even to the rest of the world, the appellation of 'NEW YORK' means something very specific.

The term 'NEW YORKER' mostly refers to someone from one of the 5 boroughs...not so much someone from Sleepy Hollow or Wappingers Falls.

YEAH, NO ONE SAYS 'YORK', but if you think about it, 'NEW YORK' is itself a nickname, really, just for 'NEW YORK CITY', which itself is a nickname just for 'MANHATTAN'. This is true for the vast majority.

When Sinatra crooned about his vagabond shoes longing to stray through 'NEW YORK', he wasn't talking about Long Island, or Staten Island, or even Brooklyn, and sure as hell not Suffern or Buffalo. (Same thing when Alicia Keys sings about 'NEW YORK', concrete jungle where dreams are made of.)

When a person says they're from 'NEW YORK', they are probably from Manhattan, Brooklyn, Queens, or the Bronx. Because, for example, someone from Long Island will be more likely to tell you they live on Long Island, rather than just 'NEW YORK'. And even for the people who say they live in 'NEW YORK', they will oftentimes say they live Brooklyn, or Queens, or the Bronx, rather than just 'NEW YORK'. And the people from Manhattan will oftentimes say they live in TriBeCa, or the Upper East Side, or Washington Heights, or East Harlem, rather than just 'NEW YORK'. Someone from Saranac will be more likely to say they're from 'Upstate New York', rather than just 'NEW YORK', because, again, 'NEW YORK' has become synonymous with the handful of square miles surrounding Times Square.

And a lot of people still say 'Spanish Harlem', which is also a nickname. We can say that it derives from the fact that the people who live there mostly speak Spanish, but really, it derives from the time when people would loosely refer to anyone of Latino heritage as being 'SPANISH', and so they would refer to all the Puerto Ricans and Dominicans living in EAST HARLEM as 'Spanish'.

TL;DR:

(1) Different places develop nicknames that just become FOND TRADITIONS over time. It's not a malapropism or lapse in lingo that needs correction.

(2) Most people from the state of New York don't generally say 'NEW YORK' to describe where they're from...they will be more likely to tell you what region in New York Sate they're from, right down to the specific neighborhood, in the specific borough, in the specific city. So there was very little chance that the use of the term 'YORK' as a diminutive for 'NEW YORK' would ever gain popularity anyway.

Old 04-18-2015, 01:58 PM

2,160 posts, read 4,966,421 times
Quote:

Again, there is nothing to correct. It's not about pride. 'JERSEY' is an affectionate nickname. Do you go around correcting people who refer to their sons as BOBBY and BILLY, when the names on their birth certificates are really ROBERT and WILLIAM?

The custom/tradition of calling New Jersey 'JERSEY' has been around for a lot longer than MTV's Jersey Shore.

New Jersey is also so prominent that 'JERSEY' has been a brand for a long, long time.

Jersey Boys, the musical
Jersey Girl, the song (Tom Waits/Bruce Springsteen)

Jersey Gardens
Jersey Boy Bagels
Jersey Fresh
Jersey Tomato

Not to mention, it's JERSEY CITY, not NEW JERSEY CITY...so we can argue that even as far back as the 1600s, people were saying JERSEY instead of NEW JERSEY.

Are you really going to argue with 400+ years of tradition?

Old 04-18-2015, 02:31 PM

Good going, Docendo.

Also, there are other places in the country named York. As far as I know, there's no other Jersey except for the aforementioned namesake island in the English channel.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey