Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2008, 02:19 PM

13,404 posts, read 28,733,488 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellwood View Post
We will be moving permanently to Saratoga, NY in the spring. We've owned a house there and spend a lot of time there. We prefer the cold and snow to the heat and humidity. We love the area, the people, and the lifestyle.
Oh I am sooooooo jealous!! I love Saratoga and only get up there once a year during the racing season
I know the day is NUTS but I do love to watch in person the Travers Stakes
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2008, 03:45 PM

1,106 posts, read 4,898,927 times
Earlier this week I mentioned cousins that moved to NH and bought and Inn. They were suprise to find that the people were not very friendly or open. Then they spoke to my cousins who had been living in Boston only to find that they felt the same way.

Just passing along what I've heard.

Old 01-19-2008, 06:28 AM

12,283 posts, read 35,694,578 times
if i was told i couldn't live here anymore, i'd be on the first bus up to the boston area. i'd only go as south as DC (NoVA perhaps).

Old 01-19-2008, 06:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrjersey View Post
Earlier this week I mentioned cousins that moved to NH and bought and Inn. They were suprise to find that the people were not very friendly or open. Then they spoke to my cousins who had been living in Boston only to find that they felt the same way.

Just passing along what I've heard.
i was in boston twice in the past 5 months and experienced the exact opposite. the boston people were GREAT.

Old 01-20-2008, 01:01 PM

2,210 posts, read 7,027,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fischfan13 View Post
Every single post that I read on the NJ Forum about moving is about someone either moving or contemplating a move to The South. Everyone is talking about moving to NC, SC, Georgia or, God forbid, Florida.
Does anyone here have the same idea that I have?
Does anyone here think about how nice it is in New England?
Maybe Upstate NY?
Yeah I can see one of the first posts will be "but I want to get away from the cold". For pete sakes, go buy a Columbia and dress in layers. I would rather breathe in a 30 degree morning anyday over a 90 degree hot sticky humid August afternoon.
I find the North more appealing than the South too. I keep hearing about how reserved people are, but I grew up in the UK - I LIKE reserved people, I am reserved, so that is OK by me, much better than phony friendliness.
I couldn't deal with the whole church thing in the South either, so that also makes the North more appealing.
I like the sound of Ithaca, Burlington, Portland and the outskirts of Boston too. And jump over the border and there is one of my favorite cities in the world, Montreal.

Just one little bitty problem - yes, you guessed it, the cold and snow. Don't ski, don't skate and have little kids and the thought of being stuck with them indoors for half of the year is dreadful.
I do like idea of being a reverse snowbird though - NJ summers are too hot and humid for me. Just need to get rid of those pesky black flies they have up there.

Then again, maybe I would be better off in Oregon or Washington State, which are temperate. Plus, as a Brit, endless rain is kind of familiar.

Old 01-20-2008, 01:19 PM

531 posts, read 2,150,445 times
The north is beautiful, but what am I gonna do there? I got bills to pay.

I think people tend to move where the big employers move. How many large corporations have relo'd out of NJ up north? How many have done the same down south? Do the math.

Old 01-20-2008, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by syncmaster View Post
The north is beautiful, but what am I gonna do there? I got bills to pay.

I think people tend to move where the big employers move. How many large corporations have relo'd out of NJ up north? How many have done the same down south? Do the math.

boston, hartford?

Old 01-20-2008, 01:24 PM

531 posts, read 2,150,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
boston, hartford?
How would Boston make any difference over staying in NJ? Neither my cost structure nor my income would change much.

Old 01-20-2008, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by syncmaster View Post
How would Boston make any difference over staying in NJ? Neither my cost structure nor my income would change much.
that wasn't the OP's question. but even if it were, i believe boston is a tad more affordable than here. hartford DEFINITELY is.

Old 01-20-2008, 01:44 PM

32,620 posts, read 77,624,272 times
Our own family nearly relocated to Hartford in 2002 to pursue a career opportunity my father had with an I/T firm there. The city appears to be undergoing a massive renaissance, and it receives a worse reputation than what it truly warrants.

With that being said I'll agree that I don't understand why New Jerseyans are so infatuated with NC, more specifically Raleigh or Charlotte. What exactly makes them the best cities in the nation to relocate to? I'm just not seeing it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey