Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2015, 11:31 AM

12,546 posts, read 21,408,732 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MX City visiting View Post
Bad comparison. Oregon is another state with full-service gas station.
Oregon considers ending self-serve gas ban in rural areas | Reuters

Old 05-20-2015, 11:31 AM

493 posts, read 385,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradykp View Post
I would love if this did progress through and become law. i don't buy that it would "eliminate thousands of jobs". you still need attendants at gas stations employed to take payment/monitor security. it would eliminate some jobs, but then, so does EZ PASS.
"some" is still plenty of people you are talking about. I guess I should work as gas attendant and hope I lose my job to collect unemployment benefits from NJ tax payers

Old 05-20-2015, 11:32 AM

Yah, in rural areas. Oregon charges no sales tax either. Fewer parts of NJ are rural; NJ is the most densely populated state in the nation.

Old 05-20-2015, 11:35 AM

12,546 posts, read 21,408,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G1.. View Post
Ok , so I understand this ,you guys want to pump your own gas knowing that .........

1) Gas will not get cheaper or less expensive .

2) You will have to stand in the freezing cold and rain when you need gas .

3) Your wives and girlfriends and or mothers and daughters will also have to stand in the freezing rain if they need gas ,or you will do it .

4) Gas will not get cheaper by doing this and unemployment in the state will go up .

5) You will stink of the smell of gas .

Who the hell thought of this and why is he not in jail ?
1. Where I grew up, self service is cheaper than full service.
2. Gas stations are covered so no rain. freezing cold? you're in and out in 2-3 minutes, you don't have to stand there to pump it.
3. So? My wife is a big girl and she knows how to pump gas too.
4. addressed in #1; and i disagree that minimum wage workers at a gas station that would unfortunately lose their jobs couldn't find jobs at equally low-skilled employers. gas stations would still need employees.
5. I pump my own gas in other states - new pumps don't leak like old ones do. so no, you don't stink of the smell of gas.

Old 05-20-2015, 12:17 PM
46H

1,652 posts, read 1,401,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradykp View Post
1. Where I grew up, self service is cheaper than full service.
2. Gas stations are covered so no rain. freezing cold? you're in and out in 2-3 minutes, you don't have to stand there to pump it.
3. So? My wife is a big girl and she knows how to pump gas too.
4. addressed in #1; and i disagree that minimum wage workers at a gas station that would unfortunately lose their jobs couldn't find jobs at equally low-skilled employers. gas stations would still need employees.
5. I pump my own gas in other states - new pumps don't leak like old ones do. so no, you don't stink of the smell of gas.
1. Self service in most other states cost the same or more than full service in NJ - full service in other states costs way more. The 5 cent savings for self service in NJ would last about a week.
2. Not all gas stations are covered and even when there is a roof, many pumps are not completely covered. When I am in other states many stations remove the clip that allows the pump to operate without holding the handle, so yes you do have to stand there holding the handle.
3. Why would you want the NJ to remove this benefit?
4. Many would go on unemployment.
5. Not true - not every pump and gas station is pristine, plus it seems there are many people in other states who have trouble operating the pumps as I watch people overfill their cars and leak gas (and diesel) around the pumps. Other states do not require the pumps to capture the vapors like NJ - another reason for spillage.

There will be zero benefit to those of us who buy fuel in NJ.

Old 05-20-2015, 12:43 PM

5,818 posts, read 12,629,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 46H View Post
1. Self service in most other states cost the same or more than full service in NJ - full service in other states costs way more. The 5 cent savings for self service in NJ would last about a week.
2. Not all gas stations are covered and even when there is a roof, many pumps are not completely covered. When I am in other states many stations remove the clip that allows the pump to operate without holding the handle, so yes you do have to stand there holding the handle.
5. Not true - not every pump and gas station is pristine, plus it seems there are many people in other states who have trouble operating the pumps as I watch people overfill their cars and leak gas (and diesel) around the pumps. Other states do not require the pumps to capture the vapors like NJ - another reason for spillage.

Bingo!!!!!!!!

Old 05-20-2015, 01:21 PM

4,073 posts, read 8,983,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 46H View Post

Re: #1 - the reason gas is cheaper in NJ is because of the low gas tax. Nothing to do with full/self serve.

Old 05-20-2015, 02:16 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,711,393 times
dont you guys care at all about government overreach in mandating things that there is no legitimate NEED for government to be mandating? i like having my gas pumped by someone else and i like paying less than other states but i cant approve of government mandates for personal preferences.

Old 05-20-2015, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
dont you guys care at all about government overreach in mandating things that there is no legitimate NEED for government to be mandating? i like having my gas pumped by someone else and i like paying less than other states but i cant approve of government mandates for personal preferences.
You know that you drive on government-owned and run roads, walk around government-owned parks, probably attended public schools, protected by the police, etc. without realizing it.

Old 05-20-2015, 02:29 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,711,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MX City visiting View Post
You know that you drive on government-owned and run roads, walk around government-owned parks, probably attended public schools, protected by the police, etc. without realizing it.
so whats your point? government made the roads so they can tell me to do (or not do) anything they wish me to?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey