Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2015, 06:07 PM

2,257 posts, read 5,188,948 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calico696 View Post
Easton? Really?
Just suggesting PA cities nearest to NJ border.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2015, 06:42 PM

5 posts, read 6,925 times
According to Google Maps Easton is probably at the outer fringes (72mi, 1 1/2 hours) to NYC - but I'd prefer to be closer, 60-80 minutes. I have beaches now on the Jersey Shore, but am not married to it. I am married to my wife, however, who would love a bit more rural (see first post). And I like that too! I'll take a gander at the aforementioned suggestions. Thanks so far for your input.

Old 05-18-2015, 08:27 PM

1,548 posts, read 4,316,442 times
Jonny: Worth a look for "the rest of the story." //www.city-data.com/forum/new-j...residents.html More info results in better suggestions.
You already answered half of the questions in your earlier post but the other half are also crucial. Like... renting or buying, budget for price and taxes, grown children still living with you, etc?

Old 05-18-2015, 09:38 PM

3,026 posts, read 9,055,277 times
Have a look at Hunterdon Co. Buccolic open country, horse farms but w/i striking distance of civilization.
About Hunterdon County New Jersey

An option!

Old 05-19-2015, 06:30 AM

4,073 posts, read 8,981,886 times
Quote:
Easton? Really?
Sure, when you think of rural oasis with access to NYC, it's the obvious choice.

Old 05-19-2015, 07:43 AM

7,221 posts, read 11,937,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davenj08 View Post
Just suggesting PA cities nearest to NJ border.
Got it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfFull View Post
Sure, when you think of rural oasis with access to NYC, it's the obvious choice.
Easton is a crime ridden disaster.

Old 05-19-2015, 07:47 AM

3,305 posts, read 3,869,313 times
Quote:
Easton is a crime ridden disaster.
Not quite that bad, but if i was to live in that area I'd pick Philipsburg, on the NJ side of the river. Rural living with a small city nearby for civilization and New York is about 70 minutes away, depending on how close you are to 78.

Old 05-19-2015, 08:37 AM

3,992 posts, read 2,459,347 times
We'll miss you on the peninsula!!

Yardley was a good suggestion - I would also check out New Hope PA as well. Really pretty town, some shopping, restaurants, Peddlers village nearby.

While not quite as close as FH to NYC Yardley you could drive to Trenton and grab express train- New Hope you can do same but to Princeton (another good area to look at esp if you like rural - Cranbury is beautiful). Problem is all these places have good schools so are $$$. Not sure about schools but Lambertville and Stockton are both cute little towns as well.

Have you looked into Cream Ridge/Upper Freehold at all in Eastern monmouth County or even Chester NJ over in Morris County? I know a lot of these are not 60 min from NYC but i think rural and close to NYC =/= for the most part.

Old 05-19-2015, 08:52 AM

5 posts, read 6,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaverickDD View Post
Jonny: Worth a look for "the rest of the story." //www.city-data.com/forum/new-j...residents.html More info results in better suggestions.
Thanks for the list - and everyone's input so far. Here's some things that are important:
1) 60 +/- miles from NYC (we drive in, no trains). Kept a car in the City, too, all those years.
2) small piece of land - something to give a little sense of privacy, although I know that can be a function of strategically placed landscaping. I'm not sure what I mean by small: 1/4 acre, 1/2 acre? Since I've never owned my own home before - I spent 30 years in Manhattan right after college - I've never really paid attention to lot sizes. Only this past four years when I moved back into my Mother's house to help her have I realized all that goes into home maintenance (thanks Dad, all those years). I have a bad back so I'll shovel snow as long as I can (I don't really mind it) but it will have to be paid for eventually.
3) Charm is good (the house and the town), part and parcel to my idea of 'oasis'.
4) My wife and I like good restaurants and occasional culinary pizazz; but solidly simple fare is also welcome (I have worked for many years in restaurants, and still do).
5) We are in our early 50's. I wouldn't mind a 40ish+ demographic; not kids partying all the time or too many young families (we still love the energy of small kids but I don't want to be immersed in toddlers everywhere). I'm not a fan of retirement villages - too many rules and often an entropic vibe. I have some bohemian blood (thanks, Mom) so I appreciate musicians (I play) and artists, theater and audio/visual people (I worked in the film industry in the 80's). I guess a nice mélange of folks would be good.

I'm looking to buy. Quaint. 2-3 bedrooms. 2 baths. We have 2 cars so a driveway is good (not too long, remember the bad back and snow shoveling?) Two older, college-age kids will (hopefully) not be living with us in the long term - just visiting. We have 2 indoor cats. Lower taxes would be preferred - I'm not wealthy. Budget is tricky. I don't have a huge income. Will be purchasing with the proceeds of the sale of a couple of estate houses, mostly in cash. I'm thinking $300-$400K, preferably the lower end. Did I mention the not-wealthy part? The idea is to (hopefully) buy the house outright. That way there would be no mortgage and taxes would be the main property-related expenditure besides maintenance.

I am familiar with suburban life having spent time growing up in White Meadow Lake, East Hanover, Toms River and Fair Haven, NJ (not to mention California and Texas). I have also experienced, as mentioned above, 30 years smack dab in the hustle and bustle of Manhattan (don't miss it). Time to return to blue skies (with stars at night), quiet (not the white noise of background traffic and the constant wail of sirens), the ability to take a walk if I'd like without someone trying to cadge a coin or thrust a flyer in my face. I'd like to be able to relax on a chaise-lounge in my back yard, reading a book or plucking & howling with my guitar (Neil Young, bluegrass) or just catching a few rays. I have to tell you, if my phone disappeared I wouldn't miss it. Something to be said for hearing your own heartbeat and the rustle of the wind in your own back yard!

Trying to paint a picture here of my 'oasis'. Hope this helps.

Last edited by jonnyD14; 05-19-2015 at 09:08 AM..

Old 05-19-2015, 09:15 AM

4,073 posts, read 8,981,886 times
Check out Lambertville. It's on the outer range of your range to NYC, but it has a nice rural feel with a decent little downtown. It's also far enough away from train lines etc that would make it a city-commuter location which will keep get you more for your money in your budget.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey