Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2015, 07:41 AM

3,305 posts, read 3,868,278 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
...and you can also do it by walking your child to the excellent schools in the mythical town that features low taxes, a walkable, charming downtown, and a short commute to NYC.

But frankly it's a nice day, you might as well walk to your Manhattan desk job, it's only a mile away.*

*Mile may include immense vertical distances of up to but not exceeding one mile.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2015, 09:12 AM

220 posts, read 379,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Green123 View Post
I watch my calorie intake all the time. I also exercise a whole lot. I got lap band surgery and it really worked for me.. But I'm trying to further with my weight loss. I'm a male. I run and walk in the neighborhood and if not that using the treadmill. When I walk and run I do usually an hour or more a couple of times a week. What is surprising is Ill eat a little over 2000 calories and I will gain weight sometimes. So for example if I go on a treadmill for 45 minutes and then ride a bike in a park for about an hour and I take in those calories.. I don't know it doesn't make sense because I thought your body burns up calories also.. I don't know whats going on.
Keep in mind that as you lose weight your body needs less calories to function, so eating 2,000 calories at 200lbs will not be the same as at 400lbs. You may also be putting on muscle mass, which weighs more than fat. Muscle is good weight, which is why I think body fat % is a far better measure for health and fitness than just your absolute weight.

If you really want to be healthy and look good (let's be honest, this is the real reason why ppl diet and work out), I strongly suggest lifting weights and resistance training. You don't have to be throwing down like Arnold, but basic dumbbells, bench press, pushups, squats, etc. Start slow and light with proper form.

Increase in lean muscle mass increases your metabolic rate, which means you'll be burning more calories even when you're away from the gym sitting at your desk or sleeping.

Cardio is terrific and you'll def burn calories, but I'd focus on weights first and do cardio after if you got time.

Old 06-15-2015, 11:34 AM

453 posts, read 1,742,369 times
Has nothing to do with New Jersey, but there is a pretty good overview of this in today's New York Times. Exercise is a great thing to do for a variety of reasons but is not all that important in losing weight on a sustained basis.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/06/16/up...abt=0002&abg=1

Old 06-15-2015, 12:36 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,698,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RhysNJ View Post
Has nothing to do with New Jersey, but there is a pretty good overview of this in today's New York Times. Exercise is a great thing to do for a variety of reasons but is not all that important in losing weight on a sustained basis.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/06/16/up...abt=0002&abg=1
i just read the first few paragraphs and it seems to be saying what has been one of my main points for years. just jogging off a large glass of orange juice will take you quite some time. if you want to lose weight, that is primarily accomplished with diet. in fact, tons of people gain weight when they exercise because their post exercise reward of high calorie food washes out any calories lost with exercise. i would say its especially detrimental for someone doing only cardio because you dont even get the benefits of added muscle mass from lifting.

personally, i do no cardio. if i want to lean out, its much easier to just cut some stuff from the diet. im not totally opposed to cardio for some health benefits but it just doesnt fit into my life right now so i just lift and watch what i eat.

Old 06-15-2015, 01:06 PM

18,466 posts, read 15,250,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
i just read the first few paragraphs and it seems to be saying what has been one of my main points for years. just jogging off a large glass of orange juice will take you quite some time. if you want to lose weight, that is primarily accomplished with diet. in fact, tons of people gain weight when they exercise because their post exercise reward of high calorie food washes out any calories lost with exercise. i would say its especially detrimental for someone doing only cardio because you dont even get the benefits of added muscle mass from lifting.

personally, i do no cardio. if i want to lean out, its much easier to just cut some stuff from the diet. im not totally opposed to cardio for some health benefits but it just doesnt fit into my life right now so i just lift and watch what i eat.
I agree with almost all of this. From a weight loss standpoint it is >80% diet. Cardio is great for the heart, but not necessarily all that effective for weight loss unless you do it along with a strict diet, meaning NO "reward eating". The only thing I would say differently is that cardio does benefit leg muscles. Fast twitch at low resistance and slow twitch at high resistance.

Old 06-15-2015, 01:08 PM

12,283 posts, read 35,690,922 times
MyFitnessPal is your friend, and it's free too. It's never let me down...but the key is to not to cheat it (which is cheating yourself). Track your food and exercise and stay within the limits and barring any medical conditions, it will work.

Old 06-15-2015, 01:21 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,698,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
Calories/calories out does work. Heck, just about every diet works if you actually stick to it. But there is something to be said for insulin. Simple carbohydrates cause the pancreas to produce more insulin so that you can lower your blood sugar (that is high from your sugar intake) and store fat. Then, when your blood sugar is low again, you crave more food, so you feel hungry. There is definitely something to be said for taming your insulin swings.
i agree that there is definitely something to be said about the types of foods you eat. i find a bowl of oatmeal keeps me full for a while for a relatively low calorie amount but if i eat the equivalent amount in skittles (or fruit), ill be hungry pretty soon after. losing weight is going to be easier if you make smart diet choices. however, if i did eat the equivalent amount of calories in skittles as i do oatmeal, the results will be virtually identical. it will just be harder to maintain that diet.

one of my best diets is my famous "oats diet." its just oatmeal 3 meals a day. 1 cup oats, couple of splendas, splash skim milk, pinch of cinnamon, water. it does a great job of keeping full and produces fast results. im currently leaning out a bit and i havent thought about it but maybe ill do the oats diet for a bit.

Old 06-15-2015, 01:23 PM

306 posts, read 517,807 times
It isn't just calories in vs. calories out.

I wish it was that simple.

There are tons of different factors certain individuals may have that can affect weight loss such as;

- High Cortisol
- Adrenal Fatigue
- Thyroid Issues (Hyperactive Thyroid/Underactive Thyroid)
- Hormonal Imbalance
etc

Try googling some of these issues and see if you suffer from symptoms of any of them. If you do, maybe see an endocrinologist and have tests done to see if it is something they can help with.

Genetics is also a huge factor. Some guys can eat McDonalds 5 times a day and sit at home all day and be in very good shape. Other guys can exercise 1-2 times a day, eat McDonalds once, and the weight is stored in unflattering areas. It isn't fair, but it is what it is. Some people have genetics that will always make them heavy, or have heavy attributes. If you give a Pitbull and English Bulldog the exact same diet, one will look like a genetic powerhouse, and the other will be a fat lazy dog. It is how they were bred.

Old 06-15-2015, 07:10 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,213,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
I agree with almost all of this. From a weight loss standpoint it is >80% diet. Cardio is great for the heart, but not necessarily all that effective for weight loss unless you do it along with a strict diet, meaning NO "reward eating". The only thing I would say differently is that cardio does benefit leg muscles. Fast twitch at low resistance and slow twitch at high resistance.
It's possible to burn enough calories with exercise that you don't need to reduce calorie intake, or can even increase it. But we're talking serious exercise; when I was speed skating competitively I'd do > 50 miles a week, and not slowly either. Do 100 miles a week on a bike at high speed or making full effort climbing hills and you can probably eat whatever you want too. Thing is, unless you're only slightly overweight, you probably can't exercise this much anyway.

Old 06-15-2015, 07:33 PM

18,466 posts, read 15,250,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nybbler View Post
It's possible to burn enough calories with exercise that you don't need to reduce calorie intake, or can even increase it. But we're talking serious exercise; when I was speed skating competitively I'd do > 50 miles a week, and not slowly either. Do 100 miles a week on a bike at high speed or making full effort climbing hills and you can probably eat whatever you want too. Thing is, unless you're only slightly overweight, you probably can't exercise this much anyway.
Of course it is, but for the average person doing the treadmill 4 or 5 days a week, it's not doing nearly as much as they think it is, at least not for weight. For cardiovascular health, it is great. As CaptainNJ said, most people increase their calorie intake when they exercise because they think they have earned it and they are more hungry having exercised. This is the biggest and most common mistake people make.

Edit: Just to clarify, even the average treadmill guy/girl will lose weight if they eat exactly the same amount of calories (or less), but that doesn't usually happen. The average adult gains 1 pound a year, so everything they burn above 3500 calories will produce weight loss, again, assuming calories stay the same. However, the average obese person can gain 5 pounds a year or more, so in keeping the same caloric intake, they would need to burn at least 17,500 calories before they even start losing weight. Again, if they keep caloric intake the same as before they started exercising.

Last edited by AnesthesiaMD; 06-15-2015 at 07:58 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey