Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-20-2015, 03:57 PM

898 posts, read 1,218,352 times

Advertisements

i am not sure how to do this. i see the station name and line on the website but then on another nj path site, i see no such station. i just see journal sq. and then all of a sudden harrison. compare these two:

Stations - PATH - The Port Authority of NY & NJ

New Jersey Transit

does anyone know how i would go from penn station in nyc to morristown and then come back to nyc using this nj path train system? also is it possible to go there on saturday or sunday or is the train line shut down?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2015, 04:23 PM

2,160 posts, read 4,963,897 times
The NJ Transit Train from Penn Station is like Metro-North.

The PATH train is completely different and is more like the subway.

The farthest west that a PATH train goes in NJ is Newark (that's the end of the line after Harrison). Morristown is a lot farther west than Newark.

If you are trying to get from Penn Station to Morristown, you want to take the NJ Transit train you linked. (Yes all the trains run on Saturday & Sunday...dayum...what do you New Yorkers think happens out in Jersey, lol?)

If you wanted to get back to NYC via the PATH train, and not the NJ Transit train, you would have to taxi/Uber/hitch hike from Morristown to Newark, Harrison, or Jersey City to get the PATH train.

FYI, you can also get to Morristown via a bus from the Port Authority (Community Coach bus #77):

http://www.coachusa.com/CoachUsaAsse...ommunity77.pdf

Old 06-20-2015, 04:46 PM

thank you for this info. i will take the bus in the schedule you linked to me. i am not sure of the stop though. i do not see it say morris plains anywhere (or morristown). can you tell me the stop please?

Old 06-20-2015, 04:56 PM

Sure, the Morristown stop is the one named "Mtwn Green/Headquarters Plaza" (Morristown Green/Headquarters Plaza)...the Morristown town center, basically.

(If you want Morris Plains, that's the next town over and the Community Coach #77 bus does not go there. The NJ Transit train goes to Morris Plains.)

Old 06-20-2015, 06:32 PM

1,450 posts, read 3,453,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Docendo discimus View Post

If you wanted to get back to NYC via the PATH train, and not the NJ Transit train, you would have to taxi/Uber/hitch hike from Morristown to Newark, Harrison, or Jersey City to get the PATH train.

By Far, the easiest way to get to/from Morristown, NJ to NYC Penn Station is to use the NJ Transit NY-Direct train, specifically the ones on the Morris/Essex Line, looking specifically at the Morristown line. For times, fares, etc, see http://www.njtransit.com/pdf/rail/R0040.pdf It is an easy one seat ride all the way from NYC Penn to the station in Morristown. No need to switch to PATH, nor to take Uber or any busses. (that would be ridiculous, considering there is a direct train available)

If you are wanting to go to Morris Plains, simply stay on the train one more stop after the stop in Morristown, and you will be at the Morris Plains Station. The train station is in the center of town, so most everywhere in town is walkable from there, being the town is quite small. If by chance you are visiting someone living on the far edges of town, one can always call a taxi from the station, they have the taxi company ads all over the station.

KoalaNJ

FYI for future reference, you can also use this handy tool of NJTransit, New Jersey Transit

Old 06-20-2015, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoalaNJ View Post
By Far, the easiest way to get to/from Morristown, NJ to NYC Penn Station is to use the NJ Transit NY-Direct train, specifically the ones on the Morris/Essex Line, looking specifically at the Morristown line. For times, fares, etc, see http://www.njtransit.com/pdf/rail/R0040.pdf It is an easy one seat ride all the way from NYC Penn to the station in Morristown. No need to switch to PATH, nor to take Uber or any busses. (that would be ridiculous, considering there is a direct train available)
I wasn't encouraging the OP to take the PATH. He (I'll assume 'Hairy Guy' is a he), for some reason, specifically asked about PATH for the return trip home:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hairy Guy View Post
does anyone know how i would go from penn station in nyc to morristown and then come back to nyc using this nj path train system? also is it possible to go there on saturday or sunday or is the train line shut down?
The reason he was sniffing around about the PATH at all is probably because all the subways from Brooklyn stop right near several PATH stations in Manhattan. I really don't know. I only provided the info because he specifically asked for it, so he could make his own decision.

But it looks like he's taking the Coach bus from Port Authority. Probably because the round trip fare for NJ Transit is $26. And the Morris/Essex train is only 3 minutes faster anyway (77 minutes versus 80 minutes).

Old 06-20-2015, 08:20 PM

i for one second thought path and nj transit were the same thing. they aren't. just like lirr and nyc mta subway are two different systems. i was going to take the 77 bus but for now it seems i have changed my mind to the train as it goes to morris plains (the bus only goes to the speedwell ave. which is a town away from morris plains). the price online for the train is $28 but the brochure shows $26 roundtrip. i am leaving at 6 am from brooklyn (i am in brighton beach) on the q line to penn station and will catch the 7 am train there. thank you both for the help.
signed off, mr. hairy guy

Old 06-20-2015, 08:30 PM

Quote:
i for one second thought path and nj transit were the same thing. they aren't. just like lirr and nyc mta subway are two different systems. i was going to take the 77 bus but for now it seems i have changed my mind to the train as it goes to morris plains (the bus only goes to the speedwell ave. which is a town away from morris plains). the price online for the train is $28 but the brochure shows $26 roundtrip. i am leaving at 6 am from brooklyn (i am in brighton beach) on the q line to penn station and will catch the 7 am train there. thank you both for the help.
Yeah, if you're going to Mo' Plains, you want the train. Get a steak at Arthur's.

Old 06-20-2015, 09:40 PM

1,450 posts, read 3,453,334 times
Quote:
Just as a heads up Hairy Guy, when you are getting on the train at NYC Penn, make sure the train you get on says, Dover, and NOT Hackettstown. Both trains leave from the same station/track platform. The train that says Dover will take you to Morristown/Morris Plains, the Hackettstowns train will take you to Montclair/Boonton and not where you are looking to go.

KoalaNJ

Old 06-21-2015, 01:55 PM

10,438 posts, read 6,969,439 times
Take the Hoboken train back, you can hop right on the Path from their.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey