Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2015, 10:12 AM

20 posts, read 41,245 times

Advertisements

Hi there,

I am in the process of potentially moving to the Livingston area of northern jersey. While greatschools.org has reviews of some elementary schools in the town, I would like to get a better sense from parents who have had their child in a private school transition to a public school system.

My son will be going into 1st grade from a montessori private school and am concerned about which school might be best suited for helping with an adjustment.

I have heard good things about the Riker Hill elementary school in terms of their funding for technology assisted learning facilities, but I am also wondering why that isnt or might not be the case in the other elementary schools.

Specifically, I am hoping to also get reviews of teachers at the elementary level, school teaching methods, funding and how tax payer dollars are used for aftercare and sports programs in these elementary schools.

Additionally, anyone have any particular experience/advice on renting at communities like REgency club, and the Fairways along with travel advice from the livingston mall to New york city would also be great.

We have visited the town several times in the process of looking for homes, but any advice and help, will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Priyanka
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2015, 03:48 PM

4,940 posts, read 12,148,203 times
Livingston is historically know for having one of the best school systems in the state. I can't imagine there would be much variation between individual elementary schools. The town really isn't that big to begin with.

Old 06-24-2015, 04:06 PM

19,128 posts, read 25,336,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansky View Post
Livingston is historically know for having one of the best school systems in the state. I can't imagine there would be much variation between individual elementary schools. The town really isn't that big to begin with.
Additionally, unless Livingston's school system functions differently than all of the other districts in the state, the OP's address will determine which elementary school her child attends.

In rare instances, a parent may be accommodated with a special request, but that type of request is only approved if a particular problem arose at the first school in the district to which the child was assigned. And, in those rare instances where this type of special request is approved, the parent is responsible for transporting the child to and from school.

Translation for the OP=First, decide where you are going to live w/in the town, and that location will dictate the school at which you can enroll your child.

Old 06-24-2015, 06:47 PM

18,466 posts, read 15,253,662 times
All 6 elementary schools follow the same curriculum and have basically the same facilities. Parents in Livingston tend to be very "involved" with the schools, and overall, that is good, but there is some bad that goes along with it. So you will find some parents raving about a particular school, and you will find some complaining at the first sign little Johnny isn't getting straight A's or they get in an argument with a teacher. So you may find someone saying this school is better than that school, or this principal/teacher is better than that one. But you have to take it with a grain of salt. By 6th grade they all come together in the same middle school, and stay together until they graduate high school.

As far as sports and aftercare, there is always some sort of supplement you have to pay at the elementary school level. Sports are not run by the schools, but by the town, at least during the elementary school years. They have an after school program called Hobby Hour, where you can pick the activities that suit your child, but I don't think it is available every day and I think we pay extra for it. If my wife was here I would ask her. I can tell you that the town offers just about every sport you can think of. My son even takes skateboarding lessons through the town.

The Fairways and The Regency Club are townhouses that are owned by individuals. They are both very nice, but since you would be renting from individual owners, if any are available, there is no uniform pricing or anything like that. Two townhouses that are the same exact size might have totally different amenities, depending on how often the owner updates their home, and the price will reflect that. They just built the first non "over age 55" rentals in Livingston. I think they are only 2 bedrooms, so I don't know if that would work for you. It is called The Hillside Club, if you are interested. It's pretty close to Livingston Mall too, but I can't tell you much of anything about the NYC commute from there, other than that the Jitney takes you to South Orange train station. Most people I know drive to the train or the path.

Old 06-24-2015, 08:15 PM

1,450 posts, read 3,455,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pikwiks10 View Post
Hi there,

I am in the process of potentially moving to the Livingston area of northern jersey. While greatschools.org has reviews of some elementary schools in the town, I would like to get a better sense from parents who have had their child in a private school transition to a public school system.

My son will be going into 1st grade from a montessori private school and am concerned about which school might be best suited for helping with an adjustment.

I have heard good things about the Riker Hill elementary school in terms of their funding for technology assisted learning facilities, but I am also wondering why that isnt or might not be the case in the other elementary schools.

Specifically, I am hoping to also get reviews of teachers at the elementary level, school teaching methods, funding and how tax payer dollars are used for aftercare and sports programs in these elementary schools.

Additionally, anyone have any particular experience/advice on renting at communities like REgency club, and the Fairways along with travel advice from the livingston mall to New york city would also be great.

We have visited the town several times in the process of looking for homes, but any advice and help, will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Priyanka
As for as the NYC commute advice, there is a jitney service that goes from the Livingston Mall to the South Orange train station. IIRC the cost is $70/month, on top of your NJ Transit ticket cost, which is still less then the cost of the bus. (I am going by prices I knew of a couple of yrs ago, and exact prices may have changed since then, so check with all the relevant parties.) Here is info on the jitney Livingston Express Shuttle ::

Since there is a limited supply of rentals in Livingston, you may also want broaden your search and to look into other towns in the area which also have excellent schools, similar housing costs, and would give you more choice in places to rent. There are several towns that have train stations with midtown direct trains, which would uncomplicate your commute a bit (as opposed to having to take the jitney to a train station) If you want suggestions on those towns, please ask, I am sure many on C/D will pipe up and offer suggestions.

KoalaNJ

Old 06-24-2015, 09:38 PM

728 posts, read 1,965,880 times
I would think all the elementary schools are equal and are amoung the best in the state.

Old 06-25-2015, 02:20 PM

20 posts, read 41,245 times
Thank you all for the information and taking the time to respond to my questions.

I have looked into Millburn, New Providence specifially, but the housing there is a far cry from value for money. All the houses esp. in Millburn are outrageously expensive and very old.

Old 06-26-2015, 07:30 PM

4 posts, read 10,390 times
Hello Priyanka,

I live in Livingston, all elementary schools have received great ratings, I can tell you from personal experience that MT. Pleasant elementary really helped my husband's little brother with some learning disabilities and now he's an A student in high school. I would contact the school and ask them all the questions you have as they will provide the best answers, their number is (973)535-8000 and their website is: Livingston Public Schools / LPS Homepage

Please be aware however that you are not guaranteed to go to a particular school, as the schools fill up they may transfer your child to another school, it is all based on availability. Also be aware you can only sign up your child on your move-in/closing date of your house.

Were you looking to rent or buy? Both the Fairways and the Regency are lovely both have similar amenities - pool, club house etc. There is nothing currently for sale or rent at the Fairways however there is availability at the Regency.

Regarding the commute, there is no train however there is a shuttle to the train, or you can take a bus directly to the city. There are some other different options.

Regarding Millburn, you are right in that you get less for your money however it is a lovely town.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikwiks10 View Post
Thank you all for the information and taking the time to respond to my questions.

I have looked into Millburn, New Providence specifially, but the housing there is a far cry from value for money. All the houses esp. in Millburn are outrageously expensive and very old.

Old 06-28-2015, 10:18 PM

16 posts, read 33,606 times
I grew up in Livingston and I can't say the schools are that great. I went to Harrison in elementary school, and then to Newark Academy for middle, and LHS for high school. Private school blew public out of the water. It was leagues above it. I also had friends from Millburn and their schools are better than Livingston.

That being said they were integrating the schools a little after me, and I remember Mt. Pleasant and Harrison always getting much better ratings than the schools that fed Heritage middle. For example my grade had about 120 students from Harrison and Mt Pleasant and it included the Valedictorian as well as her closest competitors. That may seem like a small sample size, but I can also tell you that I remember hearing about the IOWA test results and the Mt. Pleasant and Harrison areas scoring higher all the time. These are also some of the richer areas of the town, especially Mt Pleasant as it gets all the Bel Air kids.

Old 06-29-2015, 06:43 AM

12,283 posts, read 35,694,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmzandrew View Post
I grew up in Livingston and I can't say the schools are that great. I went to Harrison in elementary school, and then to Newark Academy for middle, and LHS for high school. Private school blew public out of the water. It was leagues above it. I also had friends from Millburn and their schools are better than Livingston.

That being said they were integrating the schools a little after me, and I remember Mt. Pleasant and Harrison always getting much better ratings than the schools that fed Heritage middle. For example my grade had about 120 students from Harrison and Mt Pleasant and it included the Valedictorian as well as her closest competitors. That may seem like a small sample size, but I can also tell you that I remember hearing about the IOWA test results and the Mt. Pleasant and Harrison areas scoring higher all the time. These are also some of the richer areas of the town, especially Mt Pleasant as it gets all the Bel Air kids.
Just curious of your age?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey