Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2015, 10:26 AM

7 posts, read 9,334 times

Advertisements

I'm a young professional from Dallas, TX moving to Princeton for work (near college rd & Rt 1). My future employers have suggested that I consider living in PA as well, as it may be cheaper there.

I'm looking to rent a 1BR apartment. My salary is fairly low for the area (50K)--- putting my budget at around $1000/month. I have some wiggle room here, but I do not want to be house poor. Additionally, I'm concerned electric for heating/AC in older inefficient units will jack my rent up by $300 a month.

I'm single, no pets, no kids---no need for public schools.

I prefer to live in a neighborhood with other young people (because I don't know anyone), but it must be safe.

My top 3 priorities:

1)safety
2) budget
3) commute-- no more than 40 min(I'm from dallas, my commute was 2 minutes prior, so i'm spoiled).
3.5) quality of the apartment

My issues searching for apartments right now are that they all have TERRIBLE reviews (not sure if northerners are just an angry-review-mongering species or if the apartments are all pits of the earth).

Apartments that meet my standard of living that I'm used to in Dallas seem to cost around $1800---and are thus way out of my budget.

So please help! Hopefully you guys can give me some insight into great complexes to live in, because I'm not getting very far with google reviews. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2015, 01:29 PM

3,026 posts, read 9,058,138 times
Your location (College and Rte 1) is physically in Plainsboro NJ so you might start looking there. Try Hunters Glen, Quail Ridge, Deer Creek, the area is very safe and your commute will be a breeze.

Can't comment on the reviews or the managers of these places but the neighbourhood in general is very safe and desireable.

Before you go over the river into PA, check out rentals in Lawrence(ville) and Ewing.

Old 06-18-2015, 02:35 PM

702 posts, read 540,637 times
What about living with a roommate? If I was young I'd much rather live in Princeton than Plainsboro, Lawrenceville, or Ewing, or any of the nearby PA towns.

Old 06-18-2015, 03:48 PM

7 posts, read 9,334 times
I don't have issues with living with a roomate, except I don't know anyone. I'm moving up here solo and I'm weary of craigslist. Is there another resource to find a roomate thats not as sketchy as craigslist?

Old 06-18-2015, 09:01 PM

702 posts, read 540,637 times
Craigslist is not sketchy, it's pretty straightforward.

central NJ rooms for rent & shares available "princeton" - craigslist

Old 06-19-2015, 03:11 PM

3 posts, read 13,220 times
I would also consider surrounding areas such as the Brunswicks, and New Brunswick (Rutgers Campus). You'll find affordable housing within commuting distance with some decent nightlife and areas to explore. You can look on uloop, and other sides to find the right roommate.

Old 06-19-2015, 05:07 PM

2,050 posts, read 5,946,856 times
You might also want to try Hightstown, Cranberry, East Windsor, West Windsor, or even as far north as Kingston or South Brunswick. All of these areas would be under 1/2 hour commute and are safe, full of amenities as far as grocery stores, shopping, restaurants, bike trails, parks etc. At one time the "Route 1 Corridor" encompassed from South Brunswick to Plainsboro and over to Route 27 and Route 130 and was the place to live! If you could get a short term rental and do some interviewing for potential roommates, two of you would be able to find a 2/2 in a nice area.

Old 06-19-2015, 08:03 PM

472 posts, read 812,882 times
I'd go with Princeton or Lawrenceville.

Old 06-19-2015, 10:07 PM

38 posts, read 59,539 times
Kendall Park could be another choice for looking for a place.
I am in a similar situation as you except my work is not as far down but Central NJ.

I def would look into the room shares and become a room mate there will be more options in that category.
Even the ones without a picture, read the description and inquire for pics.
I visited 3 places yesterday, 2/3 were easy to decide and move in right away.
Great price, all utls included, and clean.

Old 06-21-2015, 01:31 PM

3,021 posts, read 5,855,263 times
I agree that Plainsboro may be a good choice for you. Really quick commute & close enough to get easily to the train station in Princeton Junction if you're going in to the City on weekends. You may want to spend a few weeks in a long-term stay hotel (there's a bunch out on Route One) i.e. Marriott Residence Inn, & several others. That would give you a few weeks to view different apartments, familiarize yourself with the area & gauge the commute.

If you're looking for events going on in the area (maybe find something to allow you to meet other young people) check out the events pages of the US1 newspaper. Just google US1 events & it'll come right up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey