Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2015, 10:07 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,994,090 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DefiantNJ View Post
OK, so NYS was contributing a portion of the fees paid by its residents. It still a contribution though it was smaller than what NJ contributed.

But I don't understand why you think NYS/NYC should've made an equal contribution. NYS is not sending/receiving 20 packed trains per hour five hours a day to NJ. NYS is not responsible for the comfort and sanity of these commuters. They would not really care if these roughly 300k people are replaced by someone in Long Island, Weschester/Rockland or by someone working remotely in NC or overseas. NYS had plenty of their own infrastructure challenges for some of which they requested and received federal funding. Not a single project they started has been canceled.

Besides, I believe NYS was legally very helpful for this effort. They allowed an out of state agency the right to exercise Eminent Domain, if needed, when buying properties in Manhattan.
Because half the project takes place on NY's side of the river. The river is split about evenly down the center of it, half us, half them. It's not about how many trains are going day to day, it's about the fact that this new tunnel has to be blasted under both our land and this project is a joint project being built in both states. New York wants to take credit for a lot that NJ has or does but when it comes to stuff like this... they're like, nope you can handle it. Not okay to me. It should be equal contribution from both states IMO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2015, 06:54 AM

2,669 posts, read 2,092,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiLIFE View Post
Cost overruns not just a concern to CC...love this timely piece and the specific concern regarding cost overruns being passed onto the taxpayer...brilliant stuff.

"The push to withdraw a bid altogether has been cresting in recent days, with Mayor Martin J. Walsh saying Monday he was not ready to make taxpayers responsible for cost overruns."

2024 Olympics: Boston Won't Pursue Bid to Host Games | Bleacher Report
I would not equate a bid for summer Olympics with building essential piece of necessary Mass transit infrastructure that will be used every day. Here is another example:

La Guardia Airport to Be Overhauled by 2021, Cuomo and Biden Say
http://www.nytimes.com/2015/07/28/ny...biden-say.html

Apparently NYS politicians understand that third world crumbling infrastructure is at the end detrimental to the economic growth of the city or country. Apparently, this is lost on NJ politicians and some members of the public. Granted, NYS will not be contributing to this project directly but it still provided leadership and encouragement.

Old 07-28-2015, 07:19 AM

1,947 posts, read 3,324,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DefiantNJ View Post
I would not equate a bid for summer Olympics with building essential piece of necessary Mass transit infrastructure that will be used every day. Here is another example:

La Guardia Airport to Be Overhauled by 2021, Cuomo and Biden Say
http://www.nytimes.com/2015/07/28/ny...biden-say.html

Apparently NYS politicians understand that third world crumbling infrastructure is at the end detrimental to the economic growth of the city or country. Apparently, this is lost on NJ politicians and some members of the public. Granted, NYS will not be contributing to this project directly but it still provided leadership and encouragement.
NJ's financial condition is vastly different than NYC's. That point continues to be lost on you. I am not opposed to infrastructure. That's not the argument that CC was making. He said NJ can't afford it and that's true. NJ is just about flat broke, can't fund its pensions, has been downgraded by the rating agencies and has crippling property taxes. To suggest NJ could bear the cost of cost overruns is not a fair accounting on NJ's financial condition. You also forget to admit that NJ would've been responsible for the cost of overruns.

Old 07-28-2015, 08:32 PM

3,085 posts, read 7,250,798 times
Anyone know when these NJ Transit train delays will be over? I'm thinking about taking the PATH tomorrow.

Old 07-28-2015, 10:57 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,146,617 times
How have the trains been recently? I've been staying in NJ since last week. But I should probably head up to NY at least one day this week.

Old 07-29-2015, 05:41 AM

88,586 posts, read 84,818,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshFresh View Post
Anyone know when these NJ Transit train delays will be over? I'm thinking about taking the PATH tomorrow.
Yeah. I've got Saturday's lottery numbers, too.

Old 07-29-2015, 07:27 AM

1,041 posts, read 3,013,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshFresh View Post
They'll be over once the summer heat is over.

Old 07-29-2015, 06:43 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,216,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyStarksNJ View Post
They'll be over once the summer heat is over.
Yup, then we'll have fall leaf delays and winter cold/snow delays.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey