Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2008, 11:09 AM

1 posts, read 2,625 times

Advertisements

Im going to be looking at place in Jersey City. Does anyone know how the area of Summit Ave. And Newark Ave. is? Im going to living with my gf and she takes the Path to the city. Is this an area that i should worry about? Anyone know how the crime in around there and is it safe for her to walk around without me?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2008, 01:28 PM

2,689 posts, read 3,968,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thekidd777 View Post
Im going to be looking at place in Jersey City. Does anyone know how the area of Summit Ave. And Newark Ave. is? Im going to living with my gf and she takes the Path to the city. Is this an area that i should worry about? Anyone know how the crime in around there and is it safe for her to walk around without me?
it's not a very good place to be

Old 01-25-2008, 11:57 AM

53 posts, read 224,863 times
It's fine. Really. It's not bad. Everyone makes JC to be like some TERRIBLE place but I have totally seen worse. Summit and Newark is OK. Being a safety conscious woman, I'd tell you if I can't see myself on those streets. I don't know where you are moving from but I grew up in JC. I'm a city girl, so i ALWAYS have my eyes on who's walking behind me, across the street from me, and ahead of me. haha. If you don't walk the streets completely oblivious in your ipod, u should be fine.

Old 01-25-2008, 12:02 PM

9,124 posts, read 36,388,885 times
Of course, if like most people, you'd rather not have to be paranoid about everyone within 100 yards of you like the poster above seems to have to be, it's not the ideal place to live.

Old 01-25-2008, 12:03 PM

2,179 posts, read 6,718,612 times
Summit & Newark? Meh, it's OK...nothing spectacular like downtown but nothing sketchy like Greenville or Bergen-Lafayette. Just keep yourself on guard at night especially (like living in any urban area) and you will be fine.

Like CafeLatte said...don't be flashing the iPod or counting out large bills (especially out loud) and you're kosher.

Old 01-25-2008, 01:22 PM

828 posts, read 3,138,858 times
Who would anyone want to live in a place where they say it's nice, but you have to watch out for "fill in the blank"?
And you have seen worse?
Does that make JC good...not by a far shot.
The entire Journal Square area is not safe.
Sip Ave.
Bergen Ave.
Tonnelle Ave...and the list goes on.

Old 01-25-2008, 01:31 PM

5,818 posts, read 12,629,764 times
Summit and Newark Avenues are known as the Five Corners area. It is a commercial area with a lot of stores. The Hudson County courthouse, along with the Hudson County Sheriffs Office is located a block away. You should be about a 7 minute walk to the Journal Square Path Station. This area is culturally mixed with a large indian population. Crime rate is not bad for this area in Jersey City in general. Most of the crime is directed towards the stores with petty shoplifting, a little panhandling. No residential feel to the area, only commercial. There is a branch of the JC library at that intersection. St. Johns high rise towers are located there and they have a doorman at each building. Lots of cops live in them buildings along with your average working people. It wouldn't be at the top of my list, but it is nowhere near the bottom. Good luck with your choice. JM

Old 01-25-2008, 02:27 PM

53 posts, read 224,863 times
^^ Agreed. Not on the top of the list, but no where near bottom! And, BobKovacs, yeah, you r right, being weary of anything within 100 yards does sound paranoid, LOL!! It's just part of growing up in urban areas, what can I say. But leave me in the suburbs, and I'm STILL weary~

Old 01-25-2008, 03:01 PM

12,283 posts, read 35,697,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CafeLatte View Post
^^ Agreed. Not on the top of the list, but no where near bottom! And, BobKovacs, yeah, you r right, being weary of anything within 100 yards does sound paranoid, LOL!! It's just part of growing up in urban areas, what can I say. But leave me in the suburbs, and I'm STILL weary~

I don't know, I'm in the suburbs and always am looking around me for shady characters and I always have my keys between my fingers, at the ready! It never leaves you I guess!

Old 01-26-2008, 12:32 PM

43 posts, read 189,915 times
Jersey City is starting to become really pricey, especially near the mall area. Trump is even constructing a really nice building there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey