Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2015, 11:44 AM

2,761 posts, read 3,428,453 times

Advertisements

Issues with living close to school that I know about:

Older kinds leave school property to smoke, if your property gets picked a smoking spot, you will have to deal with trash and what not.

On the way to and from school people cut through your property. My neighbor who was in this situation, build a fence and got a braking dog.

Noise, from time to time, evening events in the school are noisy. We hear noise from local highschool a mile away.

Parking, when parents pick up and drop off kids to local middle school, there is a huge parking and traffic issue.

Last edited by DPolo; 08-05-2015 at 12:49 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2015, 11:48 AM

3,493 posts, read 3,204,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hung8582 View Post
I found a house in maplewood,right next to the clinton grade school. Do you guys think its a good purchase? Since its summer time, theres no way for me to check how the area is when school is in session. The house is literally right across the street from it. And how is the area? it's couple of blocks from the 107x bus on irvington avenue. please let me know if you have any information!! thank you !!!
No. Don't.
I remember a kid in my class lived two doors away from the elementary school. In the third grade they moved across the street and a block up - away from the school. She told me why. The constantly ringing bell was just a small part. A troddin' down lawn, broken bushes from kids walking through them, hangout after dark of rowdy kids; and they came to find out, decreased real estate value due to location was just some of the issues.

Stick to something purely "residential" - for your own good.

Old 08-05-2015, 01:55 PM

38 posts, read 229,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyonpa View Post
The FootBall field would be a issue on game days, they will be parking all over your street.
The baseball fields also may have some spill over parking also.

School Newletters => Clinton Elementary School » Clinton Courier Newsletter

There seem to be a afterschool program, that mean lots of parents pickup after/when they get home from work.
Thanks for the link flyonpa!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPolo View Post
Issues with living close to school that I know about:

Older kinds leave school property to smoke, if your property gets picked a smoking spot, you will have to deal with trash and what not.

On the way to and from school people cut through your property. My neighbor who was in this situation, build a fence and got a braking dog.

Noise, from time to time, evening events in the school are noisy. We hear noise from local highschool a mile away.

Parking, when parents pick up and drop off kids to local middle school, there is a huge parking and traffic issue.
Well..this is a elementary school..not sure if itll bring the same effect. but i see your point. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinbrookNine View Post
No. Don't.
I remember a kid in my class lived two doors away from the elementary school. In the third grade they moved across the street and a block up - away from the school. She told me why. The constantly ringing bell was just a small part. A troddin' down lawn, broken bushes from kids walking through them, hangout after dark of rowdy kids; and they came to find out, decreased real estate value due to location was just some of the issues.

Stick to something purely "residential" - for your own good.

TwinBrookNine: are you talking about the same exactly school? darn..i totally forgot about the bells. Thanks for looking out!

Thank you all..this totally helps. im going to continue and explode other options.

Old 08-05-2015, 02:07 PM

9,317 posts, read 21,007,728 times
There is not alot of bell ringing @ Elementary school, Start of day, Lunch Time recess endings, End of Day, Fire Drills.

Old 08-05-2015, 09:10 PM

2,132 posts, read 2,227,289 times
You won't get trash/smoking/yard shortcuts next to an elementary school. You will get lots of traffic from parents dropping off and picking up.

There is a sports field near the school where there are evening events, but I don't think it's that often and the neighbors don't seem to care.

Clinton is the designated ESL school for the district, so it has a nice international flavor. I went to a potluck there once, and several dozen countries were represented. Clinton parents tend to be passionate, vocal supporters. They really love their school. Funny, I never hear people raving about Tuscan, even though that's the "prestige" school.

Below are some threads from the local message board that might be helpful.

https://maplewood.worldwebs.com/foru...ntary-Families
https://maplewood.worldwebs.com/foru...vs-Seth-Boyden
https://maplewood.worldwebs.com/foru...u-to-a-school-
https://maplewood.worldwebs.com/foru...ntary-Feedback

Old 08-05-2015, 09:31 PM

2,132 posts, read 2,227,289 times
Another nice thread:

https://maplewood.worldwebs.com/foru...-Clinton-Pride

As you will read in these threads, the ESL program accounts for the slightly lower scores at Clinton. A lot of these kids show up speaking almost no English.

Clinton Elementary School » Frequently Asked Questions

Clinton is the ESL elementary school in the SOMA School District. The ESL population makes us a truly international school and every student in the building learns from and values our incredibly diverse environment. One need only visit our annual International Dinner that takes place every spring to see one amazing result of this diversity.

About 10% of the student population are ESL students, although this number varies from year to year. When we quantify this diversity we’ve found that we often have 30-40 countries represented and many, many languages.

The Clinton PTA translates a bi-monthly newsletter into Haitian Creole and Spanish as they are the two most commonly spoken languages of Clinton families after English.

Old 08-06-2015, 07:32 AM

Quote:
There is not alot of bell ringing @ Elementary school, Start of day, Lunch Time recess endings, End of Day, Fire Drills.
Back in the day, we had bells for every class change both elementary (8X/day) and staggered with that, junior high (6X/ day). Come to think of it, I wonder if schools even have bells anymore. Probably don't.

Old 08-06-2015, 07:41 AM

9,317 posts, read 21,007,728 times
At my Son's Middle & HS The only physical Bells in the school are the Fire / Inside Shelter ...bell

(Same bell different Sequence, Fire continuous ringing, Inside Shelter Long bell break Long bell, Lock down Short bell break Short bell)

Periods change (MS/HS) "Bells" are on the PA system ( A beep), Directed to each classroom, based on its period schedule. Some periods are staggered, so they only "ring" in classroom when its that classroom period change.

Old 08-06-2015, 08:08 AM

Quote:
At my Son's Middle & HS The only physical Bells in the school are the Fire / Inside Shelter ...bell

(Same bell different Sequence, Fire continuous ringing, Inside Shelter Long bell break Long bell, Lock down Short bell break Short bell)

Periods change (MS/HS) "Bells" are on the PA system ( A beep), Directed to each classroom, based on its period schedule. Some periods are staggered, so they only "ring" in classroom when its that classroom period change.
Yeah...that's what I suspected.

Old 08-06-2015, 03:42 PM

38 posts, read 229,706 times
i appreciated all the information in this thread. definitely helped alot. i decided not to purchase the house. im going to keep searching in this neighborhood though. thank you all!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey