Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2015, 06:50 AM

38 posts, read 229,706 times

Advertisements

I found a house in maplewood,right next to the clinton grade school. Do you guys think its a good purchase? Since its summer time, theres no way for me to check how the area is when school is in session. The house is literally right across the street from it. And how is the area? it's couple of blocks from the 107x bus on irvington avenue. please let me know if you have any information!! thank you !!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2015, 06:56 AM

oooh the house is on burroughs way street ..

Old 08-05-2015, 07:15 AM

12,546 posts, read 21,406,479 times
ask the neighbors how they feel about living right next to a school. some of the pros I can think of are, more presence in the area during the school year can potentially mean less crime opportunities. flip side is - more noise in the morning and afternoon. definitely knock on some doors and ask though.

Old 08-05-2015, 07:20 AM

4,073 posts, read 8,981,886 times
Generally, you're going to get a lot of traffic around school opening/closing each day. You might have people parked in front of your house (assuming that's allowed) a lot. For a handful of nights each year you'll have a ton of cars in the evening for things like concerts or back-to-school-night. If the school has fields, they might get use (and influx of traffic) for things like soccer games/practices at night and on weekend.

It wouldn't cross the house off my list, but need to be realistic about what to expect.

This would be a good case of a time where you go knock on a few neighbors' doors and ask them about their experience. (edit: just saw bradykp's post - knock on those doors!)

Old 08-05-2015, 07:32 AM

cant believe i didnt think of knocking on doors. thanks!!
ill see if i can head back today and check it out .

some say clinton schools is not that good....is that true? the street is pretty close by irvington, im wondering if its too close.

Old 08-05-2015, 08:40 AM

23,559 posts, read 17,232,713 times
See if the town has plans to raze the school building, who knows what might next occupy the land.

Is the school building used for any other town activities like voting or club meetings?

night lights for sporting events?

Some recent and time honored complaints against schools by neighbors, not in Maplewood but from across the country. Loud music from marching band etc, kids take short cut across private property.

Old 08-05-2015, 09:20 AM

141 posts, read 209,008 times
We live right across the street from an elementary school. It really isn't a big deal for us personally as we're not home during the daytime, when noise/traffic may be an issue. The only thing we've found a problem with is the last day of school, they hire a DJ and blast (I do mean BLAST) music for hours in the outdoor area.

Other than that, it's really quiet after 3pm or so, weekends and all summer. Summer, is delightful in my neighborhood - quiets as can be! We love it.

Old 08-05-2015, 10:52 AM

thanks for the responses!! we'll most likely be at work during the day and come home around 8-9. i think the only issue would be the night events and parades

anyone here goes to the clinton elementary school??

Old 08-05-2015, 11:36 AM

3,305 posts, read 3,869,313 times
Night events will be over by 8, these are kids who have homework. Parades? Like the ones that affect the whole town with street closings?

Old 08-05-2015, 11:41 AM

9,317 posts, read 21,007,728 times
The FootBall field would be a issue on game days, they will be parking all over your street.
The baseball fields also may have some spill over parking also.

School Newletters => http://www.clintonelementary.org/clinton-courier/

There seem to be a afterschool program, that mean lots of parents pickup after/when they get home from work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey