Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-14-2006, 12:04 PM

80 posts, read 498,166 times

Advertisements

Can anyone tell me about Chatham. The schools, housing and train service to NYC. Is there parking at the train station?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2006, 03:45 PM

11,346 posts, read 16,708,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyn11 View Post
Can anyone tell me about Chatham. The schools, housing and train service to NYC. Is there parking at the train station?
I work in Madison (next town).

Do a google search. They have a web site that could answer your questions.

Otherwise, Chatham was rated #9 in the country last year for the best town to live in.

Old 11-14-2006, 07:31 PM

13 posts, read 118,486 times
Default Chatham

Chatham schools are great, the town is lovely, great downtown area. Housing is obscenely expensive, reflective of the schools and midtown direct train to NYC. Even with the downturn in the real estate market, a small starter home on a small lot will run you $500K.

The train is very convenient, can go to Hoboken or NY Penn Station. Parking permits are $300 per year, but there's a waiting list. Not sure how long you'll have to wait, could literally be a couple of years.

Try www.chathamborough.org, should be info there on parking

and great site for searching home listings is Moderator cut: removed

Last edited by Yac; 11-15-2006 at 02:30 AM.. Reason: .

Old 11-16-2006, 06:56 PM

80 posts, read 498,166 times
How convenient is shopping? Is it very family oriented. We have two young children. From what I have read it sounds like a nice town. Thanks

Old 11-16-2006, 07:16 PM

11,346 posts, read 16,708,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyn11 View Post
How convenient is shopping? Is it very family oriented. We have two young children. From what I have read it sounds like a nice town. Thanks
I work in Madison (next town). Both towns have convenient shopping. Short Hills Mall a few minutes away and Madison and Chatham are very family oriented and I would consider them volunteer towns, (ie: residents are heavily involved in organizations and social events).

Old 11-17-2006, 12:38 AM

2,806 posts, read 16,370,322 times
Yeah everyone in the Madison, Chatham, Summit, Livingston, Millburn, and Florham Park area is really rich. They are all nice towns with good schools and low crime, especially Chatham. For shopping, as the previous poster said the Short Hills Mall is nearby and is filled to the brim with expensive stores. All of the rich wannabe NYC people (and even some real NYC people) shop over there. The Livingston Mall is also pretty close by but people from Chatham don't tend to shop at this mall. I think this has more to do with a bunch of bus lines stopping at the Livingston Mall so folks from Newark and the Oranges often come here. As a result, a lot of the locals tend to shy away from shopping here.

I always think of Summit, Millburn and Livingston (Livingstein anyone?) as being more heavily Jewish areas while Madison, Chatham, and Florham park are more WASPy and Catholic. Madison also has somewhat of a trendy-liberal feel to it and I think this is partially do to Drew University being within the town.

Old 11-22-2006, 12:21 PM

1 posts, read 3,685 times
I am a realtor and I sell in the Chatham/Madison area.--Top rated schools, charming towns and easy commute to NYC. There is parking available in Madsion. The wait for parking in Chatham is over a year, but you can easily walk to the train station from most neighborhoods. I you want more information, please email me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey