Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2015, 09:47 AM

13 posts, read 11,878 times

Advertisements

Starting classes in Rutgers Camden, new here(raised in North Jersey never been in south jersey). In class I hear an accent from mostly all the south jersey residents.

I really thought the entire class was pranking me.

How strange we are from the same state but the accent is different..

I cant really explain it but I will try..

Water sounds like --> woouudddder

Home sounds like --> houuummmmm

someone said the word PHONE and I lost it. I thought he was joking. fawoouuneeee
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2015, 09:58 AM

3,859 posts, read 9,980,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abooush View Post
can anyone identify this jersey accent - South
Ummm...you just did

Old 09-18-2015, 10:20 AM

13 posts, read 11,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badfish740 View Post
Ummm...you just did

Nooo lol. I meant where it came from not identify.

like why its different. OR influence by whom?

Old 09-18-2015, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Nooo lol. I meant where it came from not identify.

like why its different. OR influence by whom?
Try a search. It's the Philadelphia/South Jersey/Delaware/Eastern Maryland accent. Not unlike how the accent in North Jersey is heavily influenced by New York City. It's a topic that's been beaten to death on this forum many times over. Nothing that earth shattering or exciting-let us know how your first visit to a Wawa goes-once you experience it you'll never step foot in a 711 or a Krauzers again

Old 09-18-2015, 11:00 AM

1,384 posts, read 1,754,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badfish740 View Post
Try a search. It's the Philadelphia/South Jersey/Delaware/Eastern Maryland accent. Not unlike how the accent in North Jersey is heavily influenced by New York City. It's a topic that's been beaten to death on this forum many times over. Nothing that earth shattering or exciting-let us know how your first visit to a Wawa goes-once you experience it you'll never step foot in a 711 or a Krauzers again
WTF is a Krauzers?

Old 09-18-2015, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leps12 View Post
WTF is a Krauzers?
Franchise convenience stores found in North Jersey that are typically filthy rat holes:

They sell pre-packaged food, sometimes liquor, and usually there's a rack of some of the most bush league and disgusting skin mags you never wanted to see in the back. Apparently they now offer synthetic marijuana as well:

http://www.nj.com/somerset/index.ssf...od_stores.html

Old 09-18-2015, 12:25 PM

2,257 posts, read 5,188,948 times
Quote:
Starting classes in Rutgers Camden, new here(raised in North Jersey never been in south jersey)...
Where is South Jersey, again? Do you need a passport and visa to go there? Is it safe?

Old 09-18-2015, 12:46 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,693,648 times
Quote:
Starting classes in Rutgers Camden, new here(raised in North Jersey never been in south jersey). In class I hear an accent from mostly all the south jersey residents.

I really thought the entire class was pranking me.

How strange we are from the same state but the accent is different..

I cant really explain it but I will try..

Water sounds like --> woouudddder

Home sounds like --> houuummmmm

someone said the word PHONE and I lost it. I thought he was joking. fawoouuneeee
Did any of the other students laugh at your accent or did they have enough class not to?

Have you looked at a map? There's a very large city across the Delaware from Camden. People there do not sound like NYers when they speak.

Also, unlike your phonetic descriptions, most people in South Jersey don't stutter.

Wooder
Haome
Faone

Old 09-18-2015, 01:02 PM

19,128 posts, read 25,336,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davenj08 View Post
Where is South Jersey, again? Do you need a passport and visa to go there? Is it safe?
...and, is there a walkable downtown?

Old 09-18-2015, 01:51 PM

2,257 posts, read 5,188,948 times
Quote:
In class I hear an accent...
OP, did you create your username after you move there? Is it supposed to sound like "a bush", but now that you're in south Jersey, it sounds more like abooouuush?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey