Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2015, 08:53 AM
Noc

1,435 posts, read 2,070,887 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
And Brendan Byrne instituted the NJ state income tax as a method to relieve the property tax burden. Now we have high property taxes AND and income tax on top of it. Always be suspicious of a politician that tells you that raising one tax will decrease another tax.

It never, ever, ever, ever, never, ever, ever happens that way. You just end up with higher taxes.

How does NJ benefit from lower gas taxes? That seems very obvious to me More money in people's pockets. Yes, people passing through benefit, but NJ residents LIVE here and buy ALL their gas here, so it is logical that they benefit the most.
I agree with you and this is why I stated in a perfect world.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Paolella View Post
The benefit is that people are keeping more of the money they earn and own. The gas tax should be reduced, not increased. And the same with property and income taxes. This should be offset by slashing services and eliminating all future pension and health care liabilities.

Raising the gas tax "because it is lower than other states" ignores our total confiscation package. In New Jersey, our confiscation package is much higher than other states. We need to look at the entire tax policy, and begin the process of reducing taxes, selling public property, eliminating programs, and privatizing education, transportation, and everything else.
I agree with this as well. But as history dictates small changes are far more likely to happen quicker than massive overhauls. Your method is an entire probe of the system which will take years if not decades and numerous administrations who'd want to get a piece of the pie while they can. In a perfect world we'd jump right in and cut waste but in this world the waste is hidden and we pay for it.

Old 09-23-2015, 09:08 AM

468 posts, read 426,701 times
Default Speak of the devil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Informed Info View Post
Where did Face Book Zuckerberg's donation to the tune of $100M go to?

Someone needs to hold Cory Booker's feet to the fire.
And in today's yahoo news

5 years after Facebook pledge, Newark schools struggle

Old 09-23-2015, 09:17 AM

3,975 posts, read 4,264,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYtoNJtoPA View Post
The problem with NJ is its cost of living and no available jobs to support it. To make a decent living in NJ you have to work in NYC, and it takes too long to get there. So the state is just more trouble than it is worth. I left in March of this year and don't miss it at all. I still work there - a dead end job I'm overqualified for, which at this point is pretty much an anchor holding me (a college graduate) down - and feel like I can't spend enough time away from the place.
Hey, at least NJ doesn't allow fracking like Pennsylvania does.

Old 09-23-2015, 09:39 AM

7,846 posts, read 6,409,783 times
NJ is the most livable state in the country, if you can afford it. Then again, I can afford to live and work here.

Old 09-23-2015, 09:44 AM

7,846 posts, read 6,409,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noc View Post
What ever happened to the gas tax increase discussion? NJ is the second lowest in the nation and there were talks and even public support for a gas tax increase to help pay from NJ infrastructure projects. I can't find anything on Google since July 2015.
NJ has long since needed to raise the gas tax.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
nj has the highest overall taxes in the nation. the fact that the gas tax is lower means nothing. its the overall tax burden that matters. government money is all fungible.
No, it does not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by liamnwk View Post
Forget that there will be no social security for 40 year olds and younger, your taxes will easily double in the next ten years as there is no plan or fix.
False. Read up on Federal finances. (Hint: double-entry bookkeeping). Social Security's "insolvency" is a myth to get you to vote to give the rich more tax breaks.

Quote:
Which then, how is anyone ever going to retire?
401k / Pension + SS.

Quote:
Stay in nj and you will be working and in debt till you drop dead, while free loaders get welfare and taken care of, poor performing schools demand more money and use kids to protest and cause disturbances in the street if they dont get their way, state employees have underfunded pensions that will take 30 years to clear out(recipients to die), illegals have kids and pay no taxes but their kids are taken care of still, companies continue to offshore and move out jobs to other states or countries ( mecedes benz and adp's IT went to atlanta and metlife went to NC)
NJ has top ranked schools. Pensions are underfunded in every state. Illegals absolutely pay taxes and don't get to use welfare benefit.

Quote:
This is why NJ sucks, its good ol days are long gone unless someone magically bails us out and resets everything , but my gut tells me we would end up in the same situation again.
The most affluent state in the United States with the highest concentration of engineers. Yea, NJ is headed straight down the toilet.

Old 09-23-2015, 10:11 AM

414 posts, read 296,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
nj has the highest overall taxes in the nation. the fact that the gas tax is lower means nothing. its the overall tax burden that matters. government money is all fungible.

Fairly common for those who commute on the Parkway to push for higher gas taxes for everyone so they don't have to pay the tolls. Been going on for 20 years.

Whenever you see "we have the lowest gas tax...." blah blah... you know it is someone without a clue and best ignored.

Old 09-23-2015, 11:58 AM

25 posts, read 37,695 times
Check out how much the cops are getting paid.

Become a cop to survive in NJ.

Free car
Free gas
No traffic tickets
Good pay
Great pension

Old 09-23-2015, 12:16 PM

968 posts, read 1,143,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriNJ View Post
Hey, at least NJ doesn't allow fracking like Pennsylvania does.
NJ doesn't allow ANYTHING like Pennsylvania does.

Old 09-23-2015, 12:29 PM

300 posts, read 914,267 times
Quote:
Oh my god https://www13.state.nj.us/pls/nj_pub...90830::NO:RP::

People get 10k or more a month in pension?!?! What for!
I changed to few other township, this is just mind boggling. Ppl forget about cops, select board of education from above link and see where your property taxes are going. Not sure what percentage of property taxes are going towards pension liability.

Old 09-23-2015, 12:54 PM

23,571 posts, read 17,245,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DPolo View Post
Fat jokes are a must, Italian jokes are must ! Because christie did exactly what about it ? He is busy running for president to fix NJ.
what did the financial guru jon corzine do to fix NJ's economy. JC was the go to guy for Biden and Obama, HRC would have made him head of the treasury if she won in 2008.

You don't get a guy with better financial credentials than JC. If JC was a flop what do you expect form CC? Veto tax hikes by the dem legislature? Cap tax hikes...ecept for the little muni fiefdom where you live?

Now we have a bold faced unashamed Dem senator who watches over collosal waste and inefficiency telling taxpoayers they need to pony up via a gasoline tax. A dedicated tax that NJ's constitution says can be shifted to the 'general fund'. How many dedicated taxes have gone the way of the 'general fund'?

CC is not alone, we have two dem dominated houses, what are they doing to help NJ's economy? Oh that's right they are showcasing a 'suddenly' failing infrastructure and slowing traffic and transport down to 'punish' the taxpayers into handing over more cash.

The circle will not be broken until the demdominance is broken.

NJ news mentioned the 100 milluion$$$ Zuckerberg gave for newark edu, so far it has all goine to consultants to interpret consultant findings. The 100 million $$ needs to be the thread to follow to unravel the cover that hides the corrupt and legally corrupt bottom feeders that do their best to keep NJ down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey