Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2015, 03:07 PM

5,773 posts, read 16,588,795 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ansky View Post
I don't get it...who would be paying that? (i.e. someone would pay 600M for WABC to go off the air?) Completely off the air, or just the OTA broadcast?
The money would be paid from the US Treasury to the TV station licensee as per the list.
After that is all settled out the remaining stations would be refarmed into what spectrum is most efficient and the leftover spectrum would be auctioned off to cellular carriers for umpteen billions. In the end you and I pay for this one way or the other, I guess the trick s to be on the winning end.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2015, 06:55 PM

Quote:
I don't get it...who would be paying that? (i.e. someone would pay 600M for WABC to go off the air?) Completely off the air, or just the OTA broadcast?
The US Gov't, Treasury, FCC, would pay the licensee of each station the stated amount to either go off the air or in some cases move to a low V or high V channel.

The whole plan is once this happens all the TV station get repacked into a band of spectrum, then the remainder is auctioned by the government for many billions to cell phone companies.

And in the end,,,you and I pay for it all anyway, because after all business is business and that's the way it is.

As far as completely off the air, yes. The other stuff, satellite, that is a different scheme but usually you have to be on the air first to be anywhere.

Old 10-16-2015, 07:16 PM

Here's an article on it if anyone is interested,,,,

FCC Sets Incentive Auction Opening Bid Prices | Broadcasting & Cable

Old 10-26-2015, 06:11 PM

10 posts, read 14,107 times
Quote:
You have to find out what cable company is offered in FP. Most towns only have 1 cable company. Fios and Directv are separate. I believe FP is Cablevision.
I saw that the address has Fios available, but I've never had - it looks good for speed.

Old 10-26-2015, 06:12 PM

10 posts, read 14,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by captne76 View Post
Also that is fairly close enough that you should always have an over the air antenna, you should get about 50 TV channels in high quality Digital TV with NO bill unless you want to send yourself a monthly bill.

One of the cable companies even offers that as the TV package along with internet service but you can do that yourself too. You will get some channels you dont get on cable plus all the broadcast networks, subchannels and local TV stations.

Quite a few websites on it like TVFOOL.com and others
Thanks, I do want to get some of the premium channels, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey