Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-13-2015, 10:16 AM

3 posts, read 13,667 times

Advertisements

Hi there. I am thinking of moving to Nutley, NJ and wanted to know if anyone can tell me at what time the parking spaces at the Clifton Commons park n ride fill up? I read there are only around 120(?) spaces which seems like a low number to me. If we moved I would need to drop off kids at school at around 7:15am so would make it to Clifton Commons park n ride at around 7:25-30. Is this too late to find a spot?

If spaces are filled can commuters park in other lots (Target, Stopnshop, etc..) or will cars get towed?

What other options are there for commuting from Nutley, NJ to midtown?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2015, 11:49 AM

93 posts, read 130,685 times
You can get NJ Transit trains at the Delawanna station, but their parking lot usually fills up by 7:05-7:10am. There's no street parking immediately next to the station as most of it is permit parking for residents only. You can get some parking if you're willing to walk, but what little there is fills up quickly.

There's also a jitney shuttle that runs through Nutley to the Delawanna station during rush hours. I believe it's $2/trip one-way.

If you want to be able to catch the NJ transit train and not worry about parking availability, go to the Lyndhurst station. The only drawback is its a bit of a walk between the lot and the actual station.

It's been a while since I parked at Clifton Commons. My recollection is you're okay at 7:30 but I'll let someone else confirm. They used to be inconsistent in terms of parking enforcement, usually depending on how bad people abused it. Before if only a few cars were parked by the theater, they would let it go. But once more cars started filling up the non-commuter spots, then they'd start towing. I recall seeing people park near Target who either take the local NJ Transit bus or shuttle to Delawanna station, and on occassion I've parked next to Stop & Shop. But I've done it so infrequently I can't speak to towing risk.

In addition to the NJ Transit 192/199 buses, there are also privately run Decamp bus lines that run through Nutley, though I don't know the exact stops.

Old 10-13-2015, 12:28 PM

3 posts, read 13,667 times
GRM215 thanks for the reply!

Making the big move (from Queens to Nutley) is a bit daunting when I cannot be sure on commute times into midtown. Both my husband and I work there and with three kids we need to be careful with the how long it takes to get to our office. I think parking at Clifton Commons would be the most convenient choice but will look into the other options you suggested.

Old 10-14-2015, 12:26 PM

93 posts, read 130,685 times
Again with the caveat that it's been a while since I've taken the bus, the bus tends to be more convenient, but the train is more reliable, but also involves a transfer at Secaucus Junction. Buses will be subject to the whims of traffic conditions, while train delays will tend to be minor (but when they get delayed, they really get delayed!).

You might already know this but note there are two different NJ Transit bus lines that serve the Park & Ride. There's the 199 local line that goes along Kingsland Road and goes through Lyndhurst before getting on Route 3. This one is about 20 minutes longer. There's also the 192 express that stops on the highway next to Barnes & Noble. The Barnes & Noble stop is the last stop for the express bus, so that means that the bus will generally be filled up by the time it gets there and it will often be standing room only. When I'd take the bus, I'd try and get there early so that I could skip buses that are standing room only and wait for one with seats. It's a royal pain in the @ss when you're in a standing room only bus and happen to hit traffic that has you standing in the aisle for an hour.

Another thing, NJ buses will honor NJ train monthly passes (but not the other way around). I find it useful to get the monthly train pass and then I have options to take either the bus or the train.

Old 10-17-2015, 09:03 AM

5 posts, read 11,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meribon929 View Post
Hi there. I am thinking of moving to Nutley, NJ and wanted to know if anyone can tell me at what time the parking spaces at the Clifton Commons park n ride fill up? I read there are only around 120(?) spaces which seems like a low number to me. If we moved I would need to drop off kids at school at around 7:15am so would make it to Clifton Commons park n ride at around 7:25-30. Is this too late to find a spot?

If spaces are filled can commuters park in other lots (Target, Stopnshop, etc..) or will cars get towed?

What other options are there for commuting from Nutley, NJ to midtown?

My daughter works right around there, and the spaces fill up pretty quick at the commons, around 7-8am they are filled.

Old 10-14-2016, 11:40 AM

4 posts, read 9,641 times
Default Hi

Did you ever end up moving to Nutley? What did you opt for in terms of transpo? we are new to the area as well.

Old 03-09-2017, 08:54 PM

1 posts, read 4,581 times
can you pick up NJT #199 coming and going to NYC at Clifton Commons Park and Ride
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey